Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn/Steering Wheel Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
In my rush to install this wheel I believe I mistakenly connected the horn lead to this spade. If I jump this spade or the ring it is affixed to then the horn works. I saw no way for the horn button to connect w/ ground so I looked in the PET. Referencing PET Grp 4, pg 001, illustration 403-05, fig #28: I believe I am missing the contact #914 347 831 00 and that it should go into the same hole as the wire comes thru. Am I correct or full of stromberg.gif ? TIA, kent

Click to view attachment
rnellums
This is the way I had mine hooked up for a while too. On mine the horn would go whenever the metal ring with the spade would contact the raised sill sticking out of the wheel.
76-914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 11:51 AM) *

This is the way I had mine hooked up for a while too. On mine the horn would go whenever the metal ring with the spade would contact the raised sill sticking out of the wheel.

And after a "while" you did what? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
The horn contact is only for the early cars, up through 71 I think. What I see in your pictures is correct for the later cars.

The wire shown provides the ground path for the horn relay. When the button is pressed, the metal ring that the wire is attached to will touch the steering wheel hub. That in turn is grounded to the chassis, and that completes the circuit to ground.

Turn the key on and touch that metal part to the hub of the steering wheel. If the horn sounds, everything is working right.

--DD
sean_v8_914
the wire connects to the contact ring at the base of the steering wheel hub. it goes thru the hole in the wheel. it does not route thru the hole in the metal ring as yuo show it. your wire is a bit too long and has been repaired with a crimp. I recomend that you remove the wheel. remove the horn contact ring (3 screws). replace the wire with a 6" piece of stranded 18 AWG wire. run wire thru hole in wheel hub. re-install teh horn contact ring. add spade to connect to horn button.
rnellums
I got tired of accidentally hitting the horn going around corners, and had a spare center piece lying around, so I put a momentary switch in the middle of the center piece, and used a flexible glue over the top of it with a metal badge I found online.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.