Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some weber IDF "idle" assistance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
casey944
Just installed a set of Weber 36idf's on my 1.7L. One bank functions correctly but have found that one barrel on one carb does not release any fuel at idle. Followed flow and backed out the idle screw and nothing changed, looked at the jet and found that I could see through it... So basically i am looking for a blown apart picture of an IDF carb that shows the flow from the beginning to ending of the idle portion of the carb... Can someone help? searched quite a bit but didnt find exactly what I was looking for.

Picture of a work project for your troubles...

IPB Image
r_towle
Idle jets get clogged, pull the jet, clean it with carb cleaner, blow it out with an air hose....put it back in.

Are your valves adjusted?
Carbs work by sucking....so the valves need to be properly set, each cylinder should be sucking the same amount.

The accelerator pump is just used when you quickly pump the pedal for added fuel...and if that is clogged, remove the top cover, remove the jet and clean it.

if you have that much junk in the carbs, you may want to take them apart and clean out the carbs.

You should not be changing the balance of the carbs.

Here is picture.
r_towle
top ones are the idle jets...remove and clean them.
Bottom idle mixture screw, put it in all the way, pull back out 1.5 to 2 turns.
Match both screws.
Do not touch the air bypass screw..its set with a flow bench.

If you have a problem with one cylinder, swap the carbs from one side to the other and see if the problem follows the carb, or stays with the cylinder in question.
If it follows the carb, clean the carb.
If its the cylinder, it could be your valves are not set properly...or you hav more indepth issues with that cylinder.

RIch
URY914
My idle jets used always get clogged. Be sure to replace those fuel filters.
casey944
thanks for the recommendations. ran a compression test and found that everything was fine... traced it to the idle portion of the carb... when I added fuel down the barrel the engine picked up so it is definitely the idle portion.

Will try and report back my findings
casey944
bah... tried the quick fix by blowing it out and there are no changes... might be 5% better if i needed to quantify it.

So. Going to be taking it off/apart on tues/weds of next week. Also, does anyone kno where to find 36IDF rebuild kits state side?

VaccaRabite
The passages in the idle circuit may be clogged. Pull the jet and put the tube nozzle of a can of carb cleaner in there and give a good squirt. If there is gum that should break it out.
Zach
Woody
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 24 2011, 10:43 AM) *

The passages in the idle circuit may be clogged. Pull the jet and put the tube nozzle of a can of carb cleaner in there and give a good squirt. If there is gum that should break it out.
Zach

+1
JmuRiz
Yep, that should free it, I REALLY hate the E10 gas with webers. It's not so bad if you have a petcock, wish there was a retrofit for one on the 914.

Putting a 2nd fuel filter just before the carbs may help for future tank junk once everything is up and running well.
FourBlades

Pull the idle mixture screw out and blow out that passage as well.

May also have leaks in the intake around gaskets but that should not stop all
fuel flow at idle.

John
rhodyguy
when you blow the idle jet out, blow backwards or from the inboard end. the other direction will just jam the debris further. i hold a paper towel over the end and see if there is dark specks on it. you can look thru the jet at a bright light and prob see if there is still crap inside of it.

k
casey944
thanks for the tips... have a few things going on right now but will likely pull it off tomorrow to get looking at it.

casey
rhodyguy
there is also a o-ring for each idle jet. item #33 on page 50 of the Weber Tech Manual from cbperformance. missing or split/damaged rings will affect that circuit's performance, make sure they're in there. if you're running carbs and don't have the cb manual you need to source one. most bug shops will have them or order direct from cb.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.