Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sport muffler worth it on 2.0T?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskala
I recently dug up the write-up again of how to make a 911 sport
muffler out of a regular. Since I have an old regular one, I could
do it with some welding time.

But if you have a stock 2.0 911T motor (with carb work) is it
worth anything? Looking for some data. All the stuff I've read
is from people with bigger motors.
Thanks,
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Brad Roberts
I had a sport muffler on "Muellers6" and it seemed to pull harder on the top end than it does now with a stock muffler on it. Not a huge difference, but it was noticeable. My biggest issue was noise.. I get the cops called on me in this area about every 3 weeks. Stock muffler... NO hassle.

B
mskala
Thanks I'll put it on my list of things to do. I'll probably only
hook it up for AX days if it's really loud. I can do some tests
hopefully chart improvement or not.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Brad Roberts
Yep. Sorry I dont have the engine dyno and chassis dyno hooked up. One day we will have them running again and I can answer these questions with more than a seat of the pants reference.

B
campbellcj
I had various mufflers on my former 2.2E car over the years. The "factory style" sport muffler definitely freed up a few HP in the top end. As B also said, it was friggen LOUD. OK for a mostly weekend or driving event car, but would be tiresome on a frequent street driver.

I ended up using an AJ-USA 2-in/1-out "sport" muffler, which was basically a stock clone sausage with a little less baffling inside. It sounded very nice -- close to stock but a little throatier and burbly.

Bruce Anderson has always said that a good sport muffler is about the easiest/cheapest way to get a little more power out of the early motors. There is very little else that makes a noticable difference for ~$300 (assuming the engine is in good shape and in tune to start with).
ChrisReale
Burbly, huh? Sounds like a 911 to me! :finger2:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.