Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a quick under car photo 73-74 2.0 Engine cross bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I did a little hunting but I think it would be easier to just ask someone to shoot a quick photo go the outboard mount for a 73-74 cross bar.
dlee6204
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Thanks! smile.gif
BKLA
•Hyjack• but related....

Will a late bar fit an early shift linkage? The linkage "hole" is approx. 7 3/8" from the center of the engine. The tail shift linkage at the rear of the gearbox is about the same. Will the early linkage with its odd little offset at the firewall fit through hole without interference? (putting a late newly rebuilt 1.8 with carbs in the '70 chassis with the original gearbox.)
SirAndy
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jul 20 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Will a late bar fit an early shift linkage?

I don't think so but i never tried ... idea.gif
wingnut86
...there's always the cable linkage method, though I haven't seen any feedback or comments on our thread concerning the kit.

confused24.gif

http://www.cableshift.com/914/914%20page.html
BKLA
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jul 20 2011, 09:28 PM) *

...there's always the cable linkage method, though I haven't seen any feedback or comments on our thread concerning the kit.

confused24.gif

...(Currently Cable-SHiFT does not produce a shift assembly for ’70-72 914 transaxles where the shift rod exits through the side of the nose cone.)... confused24.gif

The question I'm asking is whether the stock 1970 tailshift shift rod will fit through a late, front mount. If not, I'll need to find an early front mount crossbar and motor mounts for my 75 1.8 motor.

Sorry for the hyjack!
rhodyguy
the thru bolt should be the reverse of what is shown in the picture. bolt head on the bottom.

k
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jul 20 2011, 09:38 PM) *

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jul 20 2011, 09:28 PM) *

confused24.gif

...(Currently Cable-SHiFT does not produce a shift assembly for ’70-72 914 transaxles where the shift rod exits through the side of the nose cone.)... confused24.gif

The question I'm asking is whether the stock 1970 tailshift shift rod will fit through a late, front mount. If not, I'll need to find an early front mount crossbar and motor mounts for my 75 1.8 motor.

Sorry for the hyjack!

I have a couple of early bars and engine brackets. Not sure about the mounts at the end. PM me.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 20 2011, 10:52 PM) *

Thanks! smile.gif

I have all the pieces you need, just pay shipping.
What I dont have is the brackets on the motor (and you buy new rubbers)
I can send you a straight bar with the little brackets on the end if you need.

If you make the little brackets (u-channel) make all the holes oval...so you can move it around a bit....I would say twice the length is enough.

You can, and I have, mount this motor out of square.
Measure to the firewall from the motor...the rubbers will cooperate.

If its out of sqaure, its harder to get the shifter perfect.

I also replaced the firewall bushing with a custom one made from tephlon impregnated bronze.
Huge flange, bolted to the firewall (that sucked) and much tighter tolerance on the shifter bar.
Round out both inner edges of the flange....
The shifter bar pivots on that bushing, so the tigher the tolerances, the better time you have shifting.

Not super hard to make, just need to get you mind around what that shifter bar is doing.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.