Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
seanery
Thanks for coming.

It looks as though you So-Cal folks are ready to roll. There are folks who will be willing to help you out. Don't hesitate to ask some of those from 04's planning committee to help. Jeroen & I are more than happy to help with Graphics, shirts, etc...

-sean
lagunero
Thanks Sean. I get the feeling we'll know more after the 10th when a commitee is formed and responsabilities are accepted (delegated).
Toast
Thanks Sean,
Im sure we will need any help we can get. This will be a big shoe to fill as a followup to the original WCC. But I dont thing we should view it as a competition by any means! Im sure it will be a great experience no matter what is planned.

Well, as others join in, we will see if the July 10th meeting is agreeable. I just threw out that date. Here is the info again:

Saturday July 10th at 11:00 am.
419 N Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036-1799
Phone: (323) 651-2030
*about 2 blocks from the Petersons Auto Museum*

If there is any problems with the date, time, or meeting location, please post it here. I would like to work out something so that everyone who will be participating can attend.
seanery
If the event is in LA itself, a dinner at the Peterson would be awesome!

I've seen events on the roof. That would be sweet. biggrin.gif
Howard
Canter's is just the planning meet. And no, you wild eyed wetback, I did not choose the deli, it was what's her name. BTW are you 'toast' again?

Sean, brings me to a next point. I'm not a member of the in crowd, so am curious as to the 'mission statement' of the club admin and BBS. Pardon the corp speak, but is this intended to make a profit? What does the club expect from this event? What can we expect from you? I am sure we will be contacting local sponsors for goodie bags and such. Should we also contact the regular sponsor/members?

And one more item of non CA input that may want to be put to the eastern and mid west forums. Is having the event during the summer that important? Do you think we might attract more long distance visitors by getting them out of the tundra in winter?
Toast
I dont think anything will be scheduled in LA itself. I think that place would be too much for most people. Plus the traffic is worse there than most anywhere.....and such a filthy place too.

Yes Howard, Toast is back. I'm done with my multiple personality trip.......for now. blink.gif

I know i'm not Seanery, but here is my answers to your questions. (hope you dont mind)
Mission Statment? huh.gif 1.) I would not expect nor ask for a profit from this event! 2.)Expectation from the club.......to have a good time. Of course, you could always ask them. 3.)To be answered by Seanery, but.......a protected forum to BS about the planning for this event. 4.) Anyone who is willing to sponser will be greatly appriciated....wether they have sponsered before or not.

The last two questions are topic of discussion, maybe for a poll. Dont know if summer is that important. Im afraid to hold an event in So. Cal. durring the summer because the extreme heat may may detour people from attending future events. But, more 'families' seem to have more time available durring the summer.
As for the long distance durring the winter.......maybe they would. But then again, they may not bring their cars because of traveling durring the winter. confused24.gif

Just my thoughts. No offences or bashing intended.

Toast (is back!)
seanery
is this intended to make a profit?

This is not a fundraiser. It needs to be self-sufficient $-wise, but break-even is all we are looking for.

What does the club expect from this event?

Nothing but a well-organized event for the teener lovers.

What can we expect from you?

Jeroen was very helpful in contacting Sponsors and graphic design & webwork
I pretty much just piss people off and make poor suggestions biggrin.gif
Brad put his 2 cents in when he had time.

I am sure we will be contacting local sponsors for goodie bags and such. Should we also contact the regular sponsor/members?

This is something we will do together.

Is having the event during the summer that important? Do you think we might attract more long distance visitors by getting them out of the tundra in winter?

I think it is. Winter lasts a long time in the rest of the world. I forgot about that when I lived in LA. I still forget that when it's warm here there is still snow on the ground in Colorado, Utah, the Northeast & lots of Canada. I think winter would turn off a lot of travellin' folks. Look at Dave Hunt, for example, I believe he wouldn't have come had his family not been able to come, and I'm sure he wouldn't have made the drive with snow possible in the mountain passes. Too deep in the summer can be a problem, too. The valleys can be damn hot and the inland empire is freakin' HOT! Damn Hot! I think timing is critical. I think we did well with the timing for this year's event. It makes a good target IMHO.

There are a lot of resources on this board, don't be afraid to ask them for help...including the A/X gurus Rob Ways, Demick Boyden & Randal.

By the way the password for this venue is the same as that for last year's event. (please keep that quiet) It may be a good idea to read some of it. Please don't post there. If you have questions please ask them here so we have just one place to follow for the 05 event.

I'm here for the long haul. Don't hesitate to assign me tasks. I have experience in meeting & event planning. I've been in the business since 1989 doing various aspects of corporate production for meetings/events from 50 people to 3500 people. The part I like best is video & graphic production, I think I'm best at that, too, but I'm decent at live event production and staging too.
VegasRacer
Hi there. I'm just checking in to let the SoCal planning people know that I again asked for the password. I was also on the 2004 WCC planning committee. I don't know how much help I can be from 300 miles away. Please ask if you need my help or tell me to butt out if I am in the way. Mostly I just wanted to keep my eye on Toast, Lisa & Alison.
Howard
Hey, John. Glad you're here. I was considering a local trial event to practice our organizational skills. How about Primm in January? Death Valley road tour, golf tournament and general revelry. No one can bitch about the cost there smile.gif
Toast
If events are planned in the Inland Empire, the end of April would be best for timing. Great weather then. Starts getting hot around mid-May.

The Festival of Speed that had been spoken about in other threads takes place in April. That would be good timing weather wise for that event.

Hi Vegas Racer! One of these days I may even call you by your first name. laugh.gif Hey, you may be 300 miles away, but you are alot closer than others. Even Nor. Cal. folks! Every bit of offered help helps.

beerchug.gif
skline
OK , I made it. I like the idea of a Vegas run/meeting in January. That would be fun. Anyway, the 10th of July sounds good for the meeting. There shouldnt be much traffic to get up there if I leave early, maybe I can meet up with Howard ahead of time so I dont get caught up in traffic. I will get with him on that. Part of the problem for many people was that their children are still in school, in fact, many teeners on the board are teeners themselves and are still in school. The complaints I heard was I have finals that week and cant go. Or something along those lines. Granted, they were seniors this year and will be out of school next year, unless, they go to college in which case, they will have finals again around the same time. So I guess we cant really please everyone. But I would suggest determining a date as soon as possible, this way everyone will know way in advance and can plan for it. If we give them a date before say August, then they can plan around it.

Vegas, John, damn glad to have you here.
lagunero
QUOTE(Howard @ Jun 25 2004, 02:12 PM)
And no, you wild eyed wetback, I did not choose the deli,

lol2.gif lol2.gif I was wondering when you'd respond. Toast, glad to hear all is good. I'll try not to repeat what's been said. Time of the year is important but if we are going to piggyback an AX then we're on their schedule. Making it attractive to members families will yield more participants.
VegasRacer
Thanks for the warm welcome.
A Vegas / Primm test event in January sounds great!

I'm glad you're Toast again. I like that name better than Cricket.

It's great that we have some options on when and where to hold the 2005 WCC. In 2004 we were scrambling to find any place and any time.

I hope Rich, Jeroen and Sean will help again this year. The 2004 WCC would not have been possible without their long distance assistance.
rick 918-S
I had a couple of minutes this morning and thought I'd try last years password in this forum. Here's my spin for what's it's worth.

Summer, hot or not is when people with children get to try to vacation. I managed to work out a way to attend 04 but next year we will have Graduation parties and collage registration to deal with. For the most part I will be free of children for the event with Aric turning 18. My Kyle is not a car guy and probably won't want to come to the next event. But I will still need to be a dad first next year.

That said, put the event in any slot availible and I will do what I can to make it work for me. I may need to ship my car out ahead of the event and fly in of something like that.

A helpful suggestion.

Lock the event in around the AX. Do it now, and do it first. Before Jeff came aboard we where having a serious problem with locations for a stand alone event. before you all stepped forward we had very little assistance scouting locations in the So Cal area. We were literally attemping to do it from out of state.

Things didn't start to jell until Jeff, Demick, and Rob locked the AX.

Take a couple of minutes (well maybe longer and read through the 04 thread. There is good info there. I will watch this thread as things progress. (as I'm sure the other 04 planners will) If a question or idea is posted here and we had attempted the same thing in 04 we can chime in with a little wisdom we gained.

If I can contribute let me know. Let the planning begin. clap56.gif
Toast
Sorry guys. I wont be able to make it to the meeting (that I started rolleyes.gif ) on July 10th. I have a court date in Utah on Monday the 12th and I will be flying out on Friday.

Gawd, I hate when i'm such a ditz! headbang.gif

Well, I guess that blows my example of good leadership and follow-thru skills. unsure.gif

Please continue with the meeting. I'm sure I will catch up with you guys on the information through this thread and word-of-mouth.

I would like to take responsibility (or at least some)for the twisty road tour and maps. If I can be of assistance in any other way, I will gladly do so.

Once again, I am very sorry and very disappointed in myself for this one. wacko.gif

Cheers anyway. beer.gif
Howard
Thanks for letting us know, toast. Who will be there? Who won't but wants to stay involved in event planning?
seanery
I won't be able to make it, but keep me involved.
SLITS
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 28 2004, 10:13 AM)
I won't be able to make it, but keep me involved.

Ah come on, they don't fly biplanes from Indy anymore. laugh.gif It's only a uhhhhhh 3.5 hour flight and they carry plenty of booze.

I mean, you aren't in for raw fish and bad candy?
lagunero
Boss, I'll be attending. Since Toast can't make it, I'll try to look purddy.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Howard @ Jun 28 2004, 10:11 AM)
Who will be there? Who won't but wants to stay involved in event planning?

I will not be able to make it to the meeting on the 10th.
I would still like to be part of the WCC 2005 planning.

Most of the work will need to be done by SoCal members. I am sure that those of us who are geographically challenged will be able to help in our own ways once the basics are in place. Until then you can count on us to provide smart ass remarks.
drew365
Been kind of quiet here the last couple of days. Are we still on for Saturday at Canters at 11?
Duffster
agree.gif ?????????

I was looking forward to an am drive with all the other nuts through Carbon Canyon... followed by a bagel
SLITS
Most everyone is to involved in OT Topics and Polls to pay much attention to this forum. I am assuming the feeling is the meeting is the place to hash it all out. I too thought this forum was for bouncing ideas and progress reports. rolleyes.gif
Howard
11 am Saturday morning it is. Slits, don't give us any crap about OT posts. You are the greatest! smilie_pokal.gif

We pretty much know what the gang wants from the polls, tough part is time of year. No good track venues May to October, and many want summer.
skline
Ill be there at 11. Leaving here about 9:30 or so. If anyone south of me wants to meet up here and drive up together, let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.