Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LOCATION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
lagunero
I like the Speed or Irwindale. Of course San Diego is nicer, has beaches, TJ, AXing and is 2 hrs from LA.
drew365
There's one thing we should keep in mind when throwing around ideas on location. Brad seemed to like the idea of hooking up with the Festival of Speed event. Slits has already made contacts and gotten positive response for joining that event. While I agree it's not the best locale to show off SoCal to out of town friends, we should give it major consideration. The one advantage to choosing the Festival of Speed is it answers both location and time. If we can augment the AX and swap meet that would be held there with a drive and dinner in the mountains and maybe a farewell dinner at Dave and Busters, it might not be so bad.
lagunero
You are right John. I don't really think we can showcase SoCal anyway. At least I didn't feel that was the case with San Jose and the WCC. The car stuff can happen anywhere and the after events socializing will happen elsewhere. Anyone coming to socal for the first time will not or should not be spending their time in the Inland Empire anyway. I brought out SD cuz everything we were talking about is within 30min of each other BUT my vote goes for Speed.
Howard
I loved WCC but felt there was too much non recreational driving between the venues. Trying to get 50+ vehicles moving in a coordinated fashion is scary. Even the twisty tour to Carmel varied from stop and go to street race.

Meals were the same way. 20+ people can't just show up at Denny's, much less a dinner place without some advance planning.

Location depends very much on time of year here. Mid summer is best for family vacation reasons, but that leaves us at the beach when rates are their highest.

Drew, Mike, and other you dyed in the wool Porsche enthusiasts. Missing WCC was a mistake. It was a blast. The AutoX and Laguna Seca were great, but involved lots of sitting and waiting.. OK for the car nuts but annoying to many. Candlestick was cold, winds varied between 20-60mph with shit (literally) flying all over the place.

Seat time is good. The best is POC's Streets of Willow driver ed and short track series. Competent instructors (Drew) really teach vehicle dynamics and will make anyone a better driver. Would love to link to that, or even try renting the track for a non weekend day. The configuration is very safe and well suited for 914's. The straight is only about 1000 ft long and slightly uphill, so no big speeds.

But that is a harsh environment for spectators, and not much of interest for miles around. So building WCC around that or most other track events is spooky.

The part I liked best about WCC was schmoozing in the hotel lobby deciding where to go next. And we usually walked! The Chinese restaurant/Coldstone evening was fun. So was sitting down with Alison for a quiet dinner and discussion of life as we know it.

How about more of a destination resort area, preferably out in the country close to nice roads with little traffic. We could 'take over' the joint and it's facilities. This would appeal to people who did not attend WCC because their car was not ready or track only. For road tours, I loaned my car out to Scott and Jeroen, and I'm sure others would do the same. It would be nice if we could get to a competitive event from there, so all you with local knowledge pitch in with ideas.

And Mike, I don't want to marry PCA Sta Barb but am thinking about going to one of their Camarillo breakfasts so see what's up? Otto says he has connections @ Ventura fairgrounds to hold a p'lot autox there.

It is a big deal to showcase our area and create a package that is easy to sell to spouses and kids. A weekend in Fontana is not the way to do it. The Ventura to Morrow Bay area, with it's beaches and twisty winery tours, gets my vote. But I'll bet there are similar places in other areas that would serve as well.
seanery
I contacted the park in ventura- fairgrounds I think, about doing the event there for 04. They were interested, but didn't have much room with 4 other events scheduled for the time frame we were looking for. I also contact Willow about track rental. That info is buried somewhere in the 04 planning thread.

I like the idea of taking over a joint, that was one of the things I liked about the Mid-US Ramble in Hot Springs last year. We were 1/2 of their hotel's roomnights. That buys us a couple of things as well. When getting so many room nights hotels will go the extra mile in negotiating room rates and extras-like parking lots for a/x and shows, swaps, etc...as well as throwing in meeting rooms for free for tech sessions. When using a meeting/banquet room for meals, the room rentals are usually free, but that is a negotiation.

Is there any place near big bear or arrowhead or wine country that we could take over?
skline
Well, its not the areas you mentioned, but out here in OC I have a cousin that works for a very nice hotel down by OC airport. With this much planning time we could take over that hotel and there are a lot of things close to that area as well including OC fairgrounds where we could hold an AX and show. If you are interested in the Hotel, its called the Atrium. My cousin is the Sales Manager there and I am sure could get us a fantastic deal if we book enough rooms. OC is a pretty nice place with a lot of beautiful scenery and roads. Just wanted to throw that out there.
seanery
it's near john wayne? off the 5?
skline
Its across from John Wayne Airport off the 405. Its a very nice hotel. It even has secured parking with patrol. The cars would be monitored 24/7
skline
I just got off the phone with him and he is going to put together a full brochure of the hotel with what accomodations they provide, he said its pretty complete with meeting and board rooms and banquet facilities at our disposal. I will also try to find out about OC fairgrounds for an AX event. Then since a BBQ has been discussed, I will find out about a nice park setting to host say 75 to 100 cars for that too just in case it is brought up. Or we could do the Beach thing out at Bolsa Chica State beach. We really want out of towners to see the nicer parts of So Cal and not be stressed by heat and gangs.
drew365
Skline; remember that we can't do an AX by ourselve because of insurance. So we have to think of an established group that we can persuade to join us even if we find a willing site.
Toast
Drew, I was just going to mention about the insurance too. Yea, it would be nice to throw an AX here or there, but how are we going to the the insurance for it. Is anyone here willing to fork over the $$ for it?

I have attached below Slits post from the WCC Venue and Leadership thread. Speaking with Slits personaly, it seems very possible that we may be able to join up with the Riverside and San Diego POA and have our own private AX in the huge California Speedway parking lot. They also hold Drag races on a strip of the parking lot. So that is an additional attraction for family members there.

By Slits:
Ok Troops, I just got in from the Region 8 (Riverside) Board of Directors meeting. They WANT us to be part of their venue. At the meeting was a representative of the San Diego Region, who controls the Festival of Speed. The SD Region wants the Festival of Speed to become the premier Porsche event in the US (or world for that matter)

His input is that we need to confirm that we would do this and write up a proposal to be presented at the next SD Board Meeting. He futher added that the Festival has been in planning since the day after the last one. Further comments:

1. They are changing the venue to hold an AX in conjunction with the Festival of Speed. His concern was that the AX could total 200 cars. I told him we would not want to interfere and would like to hold our own under their sponsorship in the Front Parking lot in conjunction with theirs. That said, they would also like us to combine in their AX, but the runs might be limited. Riverside jumped and said we could rent timing equipment and they would participate in whatever manner they could.

2. The swap meet will no longer be under the Riverside Region due to a dismal turnout last year. Since Dunkles lost their property, THEY will be running the swap in conjunction with the Festival of Speed.

3. The "Parade laps" will be at lunch time both Saturday and Sunday and non PCA members are invited to join in (it will cost of course).

We have high interest from Riverside and can more than likely have the same from SD. When I mentioned that we had 74 Teeners, including the Alien and others, eyes lit up. Jeron coming from overseas was a boost too.

Twisty roads are available thru the mountains and other places.

My thoughts on a venue:
FRIDAY:
I entertained a venue of breakfast at ?? then a
twisty road tour that winds up at Bolsa Chica State Beach for an early afternoon/evening Beach Party.
Cook out in the fire pits that are available. Bonfires, etc..... Bratwurst and Dogs sounds good to me.

Saturday:
Festival of Speed AX, Parade Laps and Swap Meet

Sunday:
Festival of Speed Parade Laps, DD tech quiz and farewell party

Saturday and Sunday all depend upon which day they choose for the AX and Swap Meet.
Toast
Ok, with that said, here is what I know about the Festival of Speed. I have attended 2 of these. There are vendors and some really awesome cars on display. Its All Porsches (well, except for a fewfloaties). There is an opportunity to drive your own car on the Califronia Speedway track for at least 5 laps, at a decent speed! There is an actual Porche race. Dunkles with be having their swap meet there in 2005. So you know that that will be huge. Plus in the parking lot you have 3 drag cars lined up where you race against the other two in a straight line to see who gets the best time. We could possibly have our own AX in the parking lot. Plus lots of grass area and stadium seating.

So, you have Track Lap, Swap Meet, Race, and AX all in one!

Yea, Fontana may be kind of ghetto, but you have to go into the residentual area to deal with that. And that is not near the Speedway.

Also, the Inland Empire is at most 45 minutes away from ANY attaction........Disneyland, beach, Big Bear, dessert. It really is centerally located.
SLITS
As far as the autoX - it seems there are a multiple of choices - none of which have a lot of other things to do around them. The autox is not the main focal point of the adventure for all.

That was the pitch for the FOS, though in a shitty area. Besides the autox, you would have the parade laps, swap meet and the racing in general. You would have the mall close by for those that wanted to bail and do something else.

I've done the racing at Willow, Buttonwillow, etc and they are the bleakest parts of the world that I know of - plus a long distance from anywhere. Tracks are nice, but the surroundings are far below even Fontucky in quality.

A hotel at the beach (or near) for headquarters, ONE day at the FOS and then back to the beach might be the ticket, tho you have some seat time to do it. Even those unfamiliar with LA should have no problem getting there and back with freeway maps.

Big Bear (yeh, I live there) has hotels we could talk to, but again, it's great for a twisty road thru the trees, but it is far from anything else. The PCA uses the roads for their tours. I have a boat, but it only seats 5.

As far as a "beach party" at Bolsa Chica - if we talk to them, maybe we could get an entire lot set aside. I kinda doubt it, but....... In any event there is plenty of parking for a lot of cars in each section. I also envison it to start in the afternoon, say 4-5 PM, so that the bonfires could be lit at dark - 8:30 PM and enjoyed for an hour or so. The beach gets cold and wet real quick. I don't know of any other beaches with firepits, if a beach party were the choice for one of the venues.

Other venues could be to talk to Nutz Berry Farm for a dinner. I believe they have banquet facilities, parking, but ya gotta like chicken - No, I haven't been there for years and nite time used to be gang ridden.

Way out on a limb would be to enconse at the Queen Mary - expensive though - nothing really to do except make a run for Catalina one day (which can be covered in 30 minutes and boredom sets in).

In any event, i think we should be looking at the greatest concentration of car events in one spot for at least one of the days and partying somewhere the rest of the time to be able to meet and talk to everyone.

Ok, my rambling is done.
Toast
One of the problems I encountered at WCC 04 is that the maps we were handed for twisty road and such were confusing. We got lost several times.

I think we can have a beach party or Big Bear drive or whatever as long as people have a good map to be able to find these places if they get lost, sleep in, dilly dag, whatever.

I have map making skills and the software to make computer-generated colorized maps.

So there is one way I could help.

Im not trying to deter the set up away from the beach. If we decide to do the Festival of Speed, it can only be for one day and attendees will only have to travel the distance for the one day. Kindof like the travel to the breakfast, then Laguna Seca, then Montery, and then the next day to San Fransisco like we did at WCC 04.

I dont see what the real problem is with the travel issue. As long as you have a good map and someones cell # who knows their way around, you should be ok.

OK, I'm done......really.
Toast
Knots Berry Farm is still gang ridden. Ted went to the Knots Scarry farm that they hold in October, and he said he was scared and almost go into a fight. There were several differnt races of gangs there, and they didnt want the other ones' being there.
So..........just saying.

I again agree with lodging in Big Bear. It is a beautiful drive with lots of turn outs for viewing, but a far drive to the closest city. I think its like a 1 hour drive one way. unsure.gif But, still think it would be a grea drive for Twisty Road. Except would have to be on Friday day only. The weekend is way too busy with flatlander traffic.
lagunero
So is the AX the priority? If so then that will decide how and where to organize the rest of events. Si?
skline
Ok, I like the idea of the race track if we can actually lap it 5 times with some reasonable speed, that 20 MPH on Laguna was a little boring. Cool still anyway but I would have loved to go fast on it. The beach party would be a great idea and no, its not that far to get there and the directions are very easy. I have Microsoft's Map Point and could print out maps as well. If everyone flys into Orange County and stays at the Atrium Hotel the drive to Fontana would be short if we left in the morning straight out the 55 in a caravan to the 15. I think its very doable. That would take care of the race in everyone. The south Laguna Hyway would be a nice scenic drive down into Laguna Beach. Its a small touristy town settled in the wilderness then out to the ocean. We could then cruise up PCH all the way up to Bolsa Chica State beach for the beach party. Once there, we could have a BBQ for everyone with hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids and some nice brisket for the adults to make sandwiches or whatever. If there is a cost problem in that, people could stop at the store of thier choice and pick up steaks or whatever they want. Costco has just about everything anyone would want. I think it would be great, everyone would get to mingle and get to know each other which is something that 04 lacked in. The biggest group was the one we had go to the Chinese resturant and then Coldstone. That was a lot of fun. These are just ideas being tossed out. That is why we have these meetings to decide what is best for everyone. The kids I am sure would rather be at the beach during the day but if we can plan it right and get there around 2 or 3 they would still have plenty of sunlight left and warm temps to play. The thing I want to avoid is the having to get up at 6 in the morning to go someplace far away. Its a weekend where lots of people will be partying and I know I am not the only one who had trouble getting up that early and I dont even drink. But I stay up late talking to others and then drag out of bed in the morning.
seanery
don't expect to go too fast. I've done parade laps at an event our club held in Fontana. 55 mph is what they limit you to. Although, when we did parade laps on the Indy F1 track we all let gaps open up so we could go 70 - 75.
drew365
Just for information sake, what month of the year is the German Auto Fest in Ventura. Anyone know.
seanery
Sept 11 & 12, 2004
German Auto Fest
rick 918-S
QUOTE(lagunero @ Jun 26 2004, 11:38 AM)
So is the AX the priority? If so then that will decide how and where to organize the rest of events. Si?

For what it's worth..
The concensis during to 04 planning was the people that AX would not be able to participate in the event but us street legal cars can AX. That's why we used the AX as the center. The insurance prevented us from having a stand alone event. That's why we crashed Candle stick. I think that was the thrust. Anyone else recall that. That's why the AX needs to be locked in concrete early.
Toast
Yea, that is what we are trying to work on right now.

The other misc. stuff can be handled closer to event time. Like hotel/ restraunt/ catering reservations, tee shirts and stuff for goodie bags, twisty roads, ect.

September seems kinda late in the year dont ya think? Dont some places start getting that white stuff.......umm, whats it called.....oh yea, Snow, around that time?
seanery
no snow here in September, but you run into the same issues as a March date regarding families/vacation.
drew365
An event in May or Sept. would mean kids are in school which could be a good thing, letting parents take a few days off without the kids. How many actually brought children to this years event?
SLITS
Scott - As far as the lap speed at FOS on the parade laps - I have run it for two years - Both times I was able to apex Turn 1/2 at 100 - 110 MPH even though they said 65 MPH was the limit. Hangin back and spreading out gives you this chance. In the process you may run up on the car in front of you, but rest assured, the 5 or so laps at FOS are a shit pile more fun than 3/4 a lap at Laguna. If we can talk them into gridding us as a group at the last, you might get your chance. The course as laid out:

Front straight from turn 4 thru turn 2 - out of two halfway down the back straight into 2 90 degree turns back towards turn 1 - 180 degree turn headed for turn four - chicane- then straight - then a higher speed chicane into a 180 sweeper back up out of 4 onto the front straight.

Now if Fontucky is not the choice for the day, I was thinking of stopping in at Snow Valley Ski Area and asking if they would be interested in letting us use their parking lot. I think Riverside PCA would be glad to help us schedule an AX if SV would allow it. "Cross In The Pines" - have any interest? This would give access to twisty roads both before and after, but it's a long way to the beach.
Toast
Howard,
I think only two families brought children.

I think April/early May would be best for this event. September is still pretty warm in So. Cal.
SLITS
Ok, in this area I will post the the Riverside PCA meeting is next week and I was invited. This is where I can present the idea of the autoX using Snow Valley and hand the paperwork to the SD Liason for considertion of the FOS event.

Any comments?
drew365
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 16 2004, 04:35 PM)
Ok, in this area I will post the the Riverside PCA meeting is next week and I was invited. This is where I can present the idea of the autoX using Snow Valley and hand the paperwork to the SD Liason for considertion of the FOS event.

Any comments?

I think the FOS is the least likely scenario to work. Putting it together with a nice place to stay and hold other events seems difficult.
An AX and a good place to stay in the mountains is an option that could work. I haven't been in that area in many years so excuse my ignorance. Are you figuring on having the AX at Snow Summit but having the group stay somewhere else? You mentioned some place in Big Bear. How far from Snow Summit to Big Bear?
Splain yourself Lucy. laugh.gif
SLITS
Snow Summit is in Big Bear - no parking lot that would be useable as far as I know ( I ski there).

Snow Valley (images and cost posted somewhere else in this forum) is 13 miles down the mountain (twisty roads) from Big Bear. Corvette & Mercedes Club use it. Short Drive to Hotels/Resorts, but cost is the factor for rooms. Talked to one of the guys from Riverside PCA as they were looking for another place and they are HIGHLY interested in using Snow Valley ~ "Cross In The Pines" is what I would tag it.

Am checking into other Hotels/Resorts as time becomes available. Cost of the Marina Resort in Big Bear about $15 more per night than the Pruneyard and twice that of Oxnard. Nice view sitting on the lake though.

Also, the caterer I spoke of would be willing to deliver to Big Bear, but Oxnard and Willow are OUT.

Lucy out smoke.gif
Howard
Gang, let's take this to the '7/10' topic. I'm posting there while you're posting here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.