Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New owner in Smithsburg MD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
21783mike
Just picked up a 72 914-4. It's in good structural shape, and pretty complete. I'm waiting on kits to come to rebuild the calipers, and have been going over ignition and vacuum lines. It starts easy and idles ok but won't rev past about 2200 (3000) with air cleaner off. Hoping to get time to check some sensors ect as outlined in book I have by Dr 914 next week. Will write more later.
Mike B
Drums66
...... welcome.png Welcome to the world!
bye1.gif
zymurgist
welcome.png

Smithsburg huh? I'm in Leitersburg. Didn't think there were more than a half dozen Porsches in Washington County at any given time...
flipb
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 21 2011, 01:37 PM) *

welcome.png

Smithsburg huh? I'm in Leitersburg. Didn't think there were more than a half dozen Porsches in Washington County at any given time...

Does that mean you need to get your 911 sold now to maintain the quota?
zymurgist
QUOTE(flipb @ Jul 21 2011, 01:40 PM) *

welcome.png

Yep. Just put up a fresh ad for it in the "for sale" section...
SirAndy
QUOTE(21783mike @ Jul 21 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Just picked up a 72 914-4.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Oh, and welcome!

welcome.png
zymurgist
Mike,

You should come to this get-together. You'll find more 914 expertise here than at any other local event other than Hershey (unless root has another get-together at his shop in Sterling, VA).

Pool Party
scotty b
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 21 2011, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Jul 21 2011, 01:40 PM) *

welcome.png

Yep. Just put up a fresh ad for it in the "for sale" section...

Wanna trade ? You want the Vette painted, ( I'd do a top notch job just for you biggrin.gif ) and Babydoll may need some work poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif
hot_shoe914
Wanna trade ? You want the Vette painted, ( I'd do a top notch job just for you ) and Babydoll may need some work

Quit bothering people and get back to work on my car. slap.gif
21783mike

welcome.png

Mine just happens to be sitting on jackstands right now on the outskirts of Leitersburg on my parents carport waiting on parts for the caliper rebuilds.
I'm debating right now if I should even fool with the injection or just swap on Webers and a Mallory distributor since those are things I'm familiar with. I'd like to keep the injection but I'm not convinced its reliable enough for a daily driver yet. (250-300 miles a week).

Here's what I know - previous owner had little info for me. Owner before told him it had 2.0 kit no details. PO had taken car to a mechanic friend who had it for about a year to get it running no real recolection on what was done other than New injectors. He got it back running but roughly.

So I need to Identify exactaly what is there I guess so I know where to Set the valves ect.
21783mike
Was away at work and Blackberry is horrible to use to put up pics.... so home now and here's a few pics............

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
21783mike

welcome.png

Seems that way for Ducati's too but there's more than most think.... it's just that there's a few of them that don't seem to get to see much daylight... and I can't seem to manage to ride more than 1 of mine at a time confused24.gif
type47
QUOTE(21783mike @ Jul 24 2011, 04:49 AM) *

...to ride more than 1 of mine ...

This will happen with your 2nd and 3rd 914 (at the same time) also biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
That car needs to be put on jack stands and taken apart.

Welcome to the world

Billy
914 whisperer
mrgjones
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 24 2011, 08:55 AM) *

Welcome to the world

Billy
914 whisperer

I agree. Getting it up on jackstands as soon as possible will help it acclimate to its new environment. At least you had it trailored in. That should help some. It looks like you've got a pretty good start there. Its got its own strap identifying it as a "keeper" so it should be good and salvageable. If mine had come with a strap it might have said "junkyard" or "kill me now" biggrin.gif
abnrdo
welcome.png

Hey! Thats a nice looking 914!
21783mike
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 24 2011, 11:55 AM) *

Welcome to the world

Billy
914 whisperer

I bought it with the intention of getting it running and driving it, not parting it out..... what do you see in the pics that indicates it's not worth doing that?
Dave_Darling
He's not saying that you should part the car, it's a long-running joke here that a 914's natural habitat is on jackstands.

--DD
type47
QUOTE(21783mike @ Jul 25 2011, 12:35 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 24 2011, 11:55 AM) *

Welcome to the world

Billy
914 whisperer

I bought it with the intention of getting it running and driving it, not parting it out..... what do you see in the pics that indicates it's not worth doing that?

I'm sure he didn't mean part out the car, just disassemble (what I think he means in good nature) like "everyone" else here. Have you ever heard of "Dirk Wrights's disease"?
saigon71
welcome.png

And you should definately attend the pool party in Frederick at Matt's place! beerchug.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 21 2011, 10:22 PM) *

Wanna trade ? You want the Vette painted, ( I'd do a top notch job just for you biggrin.gif ) and Babydoll may need some work poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif

I'll be happy to trade. 160 Benjamins ought to do it. chair.gif
casey944
grew up in beaver creek... live in arlington now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.