Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What do you think? Scam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
i'm a Chief at sea military (CTT2(sw) McArthur on the USS Sampson DDG 102)
and i will love to buy this item.i want to be
the best offer by adding $100 to your money then keep other offers
off,where i am i don't have access to my bank account and i have
access to my paypal account.I insisted on paypal because i don't have
access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but
i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank account attached
to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can
make the payments asap for the item and if you don't have paypal
account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com
and get it set
up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you
use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I
have a pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have
made the payment. Let me have your phone number Get back to me in time.
hot_shoe914
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!
Ductech
Total scammer alien bullshit
DBCooper
On the surface the proposal seems straightforward, it's PayPal from a bank account, which as far as I know is like cash. On the other hand it has the look and feel of a scam. Why don't you send it to PayPal, ask them if there are scams like that going around, if they recognize it.

Just out of curiosity, what are you selling, something big and expensive or something small and insignificant. If it's a scam I'd bet on the big and expensive, and certainly wouldn't volunteer my phone number until I felt pretty comfortable about it all..
Cap'n Krusty
Kinda like Ebonics, only different ....................... Wonder if I could start a translation service for these guys? Cash up front, no agents, escrow services, or Western Union. Call it "soundlikeanamerican.com"

The Cap'n
PeeGreen 914
Why not phone number? My number is public record since I sell real estate. You can google my name and find my number.

Feels and smells like a scam. I am selling a set of early 911 fuchs smile.gif
underthetire
At least it's a real ship...
PeeGreen 914
"I am a U.S. Navy veteran of the Light Attack and Twilight Pursuit Squadron VA-105 I was an AMS-2 in the Airframes Shop as well as a Plane Captain of one of our A-7E Corsair jets so you have no problem with me have already read the condition in the AD and it is okay with me so kindly get back to me with your paypal account name and email address for the payment .."
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2011, 07:02 PM) *

Kinda like Ebonics, only different ....................... Wonder if I could start a translation service for these guys? Cash up front, no agents, escrow services, or Western Union. Call it "soundlikeanamerican.com"

The Cap'n

Nice!
tscrihfield
I had a similar contact from a scam about a week ago on a Ducati in eastern Ohio. He also claimed to be in the military and stated he had to move soon for deployment. Yada yada, often they use military status, I think to try and mask over some sort of loyalty! ATTENTION SCAMMERS Quit that $#!T your givin our boys a bad name! I wish I could meet up with some of them because they do a lot of folks wrong! ar15.gif smash.gif chair.gif
smontanaro
It's so obviously a scam that my spam filter marked the 914world.com "new topic" email as "maybe spam", even though it obviously had all the other typical clues (sender, subject, etc) which point to it being ham, not spam.
SirAndy
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jul 21 2011, 03:50 PM) *
and i will love to buy this item

That right there says it all ...

It's a set of wheels and not "an item". They use items so they can send out the same standard scam email to everybody.
Notice how he never once actually mentions the content of your auction by name?

If you were a car guy looking to buy a nice set of wheels, would you refer to them as "this item"???

SCAM dry.gif
JRust
I'd say man it's a small world. I have a buddy on your ship. His name is DON"T FUCH WITH ME. How about if you just pay him on the ship. He'll take your cash & once I get confirmation. I will have my local agent "I AM THAT STUPID" Air drop them to the ship happy11.gif
orange914
Maybe it's just me, but seriously no one here thinks this may be ligit??? blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
I'm just keeping the guy going because it's fun smile.gif

But no, I don't think anyone here thinks it's real.
PeeGreen 914
Oh, best part is he says his name is Larry Wilson but his email is frebsed33@gmail.

confused24.gif
tscrihfield
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 21 2011, 07:16 PM) *

Maybe it's just me, but seriously no one here thinks this may be ligit??? blink.gif

Nope its just you...

Speaking of which I have a Bugatti Veyron for sale for $1,000.00 its in great shape with a clean title! How about you just send the money to my paypal @ gullible@gmail.com and I will make sure you get the car for sure!!

happy11.gif Please dont hate me! I saw the opportunity and I seized it! lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
We had a scam go through southern oregon awhile back through craigslist. A lady was selling her husbands Porsche 911 for what he put into it. It was located in Idaho and needs to get rid of it fast due to some unfortunate reason.

I replied and said where was it so I can drive the 4 hours to see it, or have a friend thats near to see it? I actually received a reply saying that it was inside a sealed container waiting to be shipped to where ever the buyer was. I then replied that if it's sealed then how was someone supposed to inspect it before purchasing it? no response! IDIOTS!!
KELTY360
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jul 21 2011, 04:27 PM) *

Nope its just you...

Speaking of which I have a Bugatti Veyron for sale for $1,000.00 its in great shape with a clean title! How about you just send the money to my paypal @ gullible@gmail.com and I will make sure you get the car for sure!!

happy11.gif Please dont hate me! I saw the opportunity and I seized it! lol-2.gif

Do you have a Car Fax?
tscrihfield
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 21 2011, 07:40 PM) *

Do you have a Car Fax?

Oh Yeah its clear and ready to go but the car fax report I have is in a sealed container and you can only see it once you buy the car!
biggrin.gif
orange914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 21 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Nope its just you...

Do you have a Car Fax?

Still awaiting the capn's response happy11.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 21 2011, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 21 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Nope its just you...

Do you have a Car Fax?

Still awaiting the capn's response happy11.gif

I guess I'm clueless as to what you want me to say. I've already gotten the guy's money and transferred it to my numbered offshore account on Santa Catalina Island. I gave the guy your address for the transaction. Watch for him ............... Or maybe his "agent".

The Cap'n
DBCooper
OK, tell me how this plays out. He says he'll pay your PayPal account with cash from his bank account before you ever ship the wheels, right? So how does he make it work? Does he ask for cash at some later point or what? My investments for retirement are not jumping up in value and I don't want to sleep under bridges so teach me, how does this work?
Cheapsnake
I think it's absolutely legit and if that deal falls through I'd like to buy the "item" as soon as the funds clear from my Nigerian prince's secret inheritance that I'm holding for him. Take a check?
Eric_Shea
I think it's fine. Let me deal with him. Send me your wheels and I'll ship them off to him. wink.gif

Happy to help.
krazykonrad
Any Navy rating ending in 2 is a Petty Officer Second Class, NOT a Chief! This is most definitely a scam!

Konrad
Mike Bellis
Just give me your Paypal address and password. I will take the money from you and pay for your wheels. My shipping agent will pick them up tonight.
Nie Zu Alt
It's a phishing scam. They want you to log into PayPal using the link in the email. The wheels have nothing to do with it. Then after they have your login, the real damage happens.
914Mike
QUOTE(Nie Zu Alt @ Jul 21 2011, 07:35 PM) *

It's a phishing scam. They want you to log into PayPal using the link in the email. The wheels have nothing to do with it. Then after they have your login, the real damage happens.

Doesn't everyone have their browser set to show the contents of a link before you click it? Mine is, and the link in the first post is (now at least) direct to Paypal.com, not Paypall.com or scam.uzi/Paypal Ripoff or some such.

Always check that any link is really taking you where you want to go...
SUNAB914
Scam run away.
dlestep
...IT'S D R T (Dead Right There)
Cairo94507
I swear the feds need a squad of guys in black coats that just track these pieces of crXX down and snap their little necks and in this case...throw him overboard after cutting him nicely.

It is these bottom-feeders in the world that make life more complicated for all of us.
mburkhart
QUOTE(914Mike @ Jul 22 2011, 12:14 AM) *

If I need to go to a bank site (or paypal, etc), I always ALWAYS type in the link myself. I don't even use the link that my bank sends me on their monthly statement emails. I've tried to explain this to my parents more than once, but they can't seem to understand phishing...
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jul 21 2011, 07:11 PM) *

Any Navy rating ending in 2 is a Petty Officer Second Class, NOT a Chief! This is most definitely a scam!

Konrad

agree.gif

I was going to say the same thing. . . NO ONE calls themself a "Chief" when they are a 2nd class P.O. . . If they crooks were smart, they would be able to earn more money the legit way, not through scams. . .
Tom
I wish you guys would have PM'd Peegreen that info about the rating. Now the scammers have additional information to use next time. sad.gif
Tom
PeeGreen 914
I doubt they check here for stuff like that. If they really wanted to do their hoework they could have a very convincing story with credible evidence to support what they say. They are simply too lazy to do that as they most likely get enough people as it is. dry.gif
Tom
Jon,
You are probably right on that. I get over protective on info being learned by people I don't want to have it.
Tom
p914
Check the email headers and get his IP.
Then use http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation
to find out where he is sending email from.
DBCooper
QUOTE(914Mike @ Jul 22 2011, 12:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Nie Zu Alt @ Jul 21 2011, 07:35 PM) *

Doesn't everyone have their browser set to show the contents of a link before you click it? Mine is, and the link in the first post is (now at least) direct to Paypal.com, not Paypall.com or scam.uzi/Paypal Ripoff or some such.

Exactly right, the PayPal link is legitimate. As the guy said "i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments" which is entirely correct. I have no doubt that it's a scam, but so far there's nothing there that's dangerous. That I can see, anyway. Is there? Maybe something pops up later in the scam, but not so far. I'm just curious about how it's going to work, kind of a teachable moment.
Hammy
Sounds totally legit.
Woodside914

WTF.gif

I would run like hell....this is BS phishing at it's finest from some scumbag.

DBCooper
No question, phishing, scam, it stinks to high heaven, but HOW DOES IT WORK?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.