Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crap.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BajaXJ92
Crap wasn't exactly the first word I had in mind. headbang.gif

So I walk out to the parking lot of my office during lunch and notice this under my car. Speedo just stopped working this morning.

Question is, what did I lose between the threaded block at the end of the cable and the hole in the trans?

If I ziptie this up, will I be slinging gear oil out of that hole?

Help!

-Adam

IPB Image
IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Jul 22 2011, 12:05 PM) *
will I be slinging gear oil out of that hole?

Most certainly! icon8.gif

You lost your speedo angle drive gear. You can also see that the set screw is missing.

See this thread for more info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103985

It looks like this:

IPB Image
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2011, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Jul 22 2011, 12:05 PM) *
will I be slinging gear oil out of that hole?

Most certainly! icon8.gif

You lost your speedo angle drive gear. You can also see that the set screw is missing.

See this thread for more info:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103985

It looks like this:

IPB Image

Clearly I'll need to find a speedo drive gear. Anything else that attached the block to the speedo drive gear at the end of the cable? Thank you for the help!
Chris Pincetich
You MIGHT be able to unhook the cable, secure it up out of the way (not in a place it will melt on the exhaust) and then shove/screw the piece in to plug the hole.

If the piece shown above with the seals is on the ground and won't stay put in the transaxle, a tow-truck may be in your future.

I had mine fail last year, but it broke below the seals and showed no signs of leaking so I drove it home w/o issues. It's a relatively easy part to find and replace.

Good luck beerchug.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jul 22 2011, 11:34 AM) *

You MIGHT be able to unhook the cable, secure it up out of the way (not in a place it will melt on the exhaust) and then shove/screw the piece in to plug the hole.

If the piece shown above with the seals is on the ground and won't stay put in the transaxle, a tow-truck may be in your future.

I had mine fail last year, but it broke below the seals and showed no signs of leaking so I drove it home w/o issues. It's a relatively easy part to find and replace.

Good luck beerchug.gif

Luckily I only live 3 miles away from my office, so I'm going to ziptie it out of the way of the exhaust and limp it home. I'm completely missing the entire speedo angle drive and the applicable hardware. Luckily I'm meeting up with a guy on Sunday locally thats got a "30yr collection of all 914 parts". Funny how just the right people walk into your life when you need them the most. beerchug.gif

In the meantime, looks like i'll be driving my '74 VW Bus project for the weekend. beerchug.gif Thanks for the help fellas!!
Cap'n Krusty
You drive that home with the entire speedo drive gone, as it appears to be the case, plan on the likelihood of having to purchase a new tranny.

The Cap'n
underthetire
agree.gif
Your gonna need a new angle drive and the part andy pictured. My angle drive broke once and was trailing the speedo cable (new one) behind the car like a dog leash too.
Dr Evil
Your tranny must be close to empty of oil as it is. Dont drive it. I have good used drives with bolts if you need. Save you some money. The cable is probably fine.
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 22 2011, 02:12 PM) *

Your tranny must be close to empty of oil as it is. Dont drive it. I have good used drives with bolts if you need. Save you some money. The cable is probably fine.

If I don't pick one up for super cheap on Sunday, then I will certainly be contacting you first thing on Monday morning. Thank you! beerchug.gif

PS- Drove it home not exceeding 20mph, trans is fine. For whatever reason, after years of building and working on Jeeps, I've luckily got the oddball 17mm Hex socket for the trans fill/drain plug within my Craftsman set. While I intended to work on the Bus this weekend, clearly the 914 will have my attention. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.