Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Oil Change Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I'm sitting here at work ordering stuff to work on the 914 1.7L next weekend. I need to do an oil change and adjust the valves. I've ordered the Brad Penn racing 20W-50 and the valve cover gaskets.

What else do I need? I don't have my manual here and can't find a DIY on oil changes. Is there a parts kit and filter involved? Where is the best place to buy? Is there was an "oil change" parts list?

I know it's a stupid question!
Kirmizi
+ Oil filter and maybe an oil strainer gasket, then you're good to go. biggrin.gif
Mike
914Mels
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 22 2011, 01:54 PM) *

I'm sitting here at work ordering stuff to work on the 914 1.7L next weekend. I need to do an oil change and adjust the valves. I've ordered the Brad Penn racing 20W-50 and the valve cover gaskets.

What else do I need? I don't have my manual here and can't find a DIY on oil changes. Is there a parts kit and filter involved? Where is the best place to buy? Is there was an "oil change" parts list?

I know it's a stupid question!

A bit of advice if you are new to the type four engine. Leave the strainer plate alone unless you have a leak at the gasket. It's really easy to ruin your engine case if you over torque the bolt. If I remember correctly the spec is only 5-7 ft pounds. Your spin on oil filter traps all the bad stuff any way. The screen is really redundant, might stop a hunk of bearing but at that stage you need to tear down the engine anyway. Just drain the oil with the drain plug that is off to the side of the round metal plate and change the drain plug gasket and spin on filter. Most auto parts stores will carry the gasket and filter. Good luck, Mike
wingnut86
...sorry OCD always gets the best of me when I'm under mine.

Bring out the shop vac and suck out any areas of the tins that may be leaf hoarding. You can inspect and clean, but not too heavily, underneath the push-rod tubes, etc. You might remove some of the heavy gunk and discover a waiting oil leak if you are too eager beer.gif

Seriously, if you are under her for any reason, always do a quick check on any accessible sensors/cables for oil pressure, etc. Then check your CVs and tranny plugs as well.

It's not like we work on 4X4 trucks that sit 4 foot off the concrete. So any time you are there, do a quick check and take 4 to 6 camera shots of areas that could pose issues, as you can always go back later and reference the photos during Family Guy commercial breaks happy11.gif

Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Mels @ Jul 22 2011, 02:14 PM) *
A bit of advice if you are new to the type four engine. Leave the strainer plate alone unless you have a leak at the gasket. It's really easy to ruin your engine case if you over torque the bolt. If I remember correctly the spec is only 5-7 ft pounds. Your spin on oil filter traps all the bad stuff any way. The screen is really redundant, might stop a hunk of bearing but at that stage you need to tear down the engine anyway. Just drain the oil with the drain plug that is off to the side of the round metal plate and change the drain plug gasket and spin on filter. Most auto parts stores will carry the gasket and filter.

agree.gif

Leave the oil strainer alone unless it's leaking. popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
Thank you for all the replies. I'll be tackling this job next weekend (I think) so just wanted to get all my stuff together. Nothing worse than getting into a job and not having the right stuff!
NJ914Guy
So if you don't remove and clean the strainer, will you leave behind a significant amount of oil and debris?
914Mels
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Jul 22 2011, 04:53 PM) *

So if you don't remove and clean the strainer, will you leave behind a significant amount of oil and debris?

Nope, most shops won't touch the plate,with the spin on filter, it just isn't necessary. Kind of like an evolutionary change from the type 1 engine that had just the screen. I'm really surprised they even bothered with it on the type 4. Maybe the manufacturer had a buddy in the VW engine design shop.
Dave_Darling
Get a crush washer for the oil drain plug. And of course, the oil and oil filter.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.