Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dashboard to windshield interior gasket replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
All,

I purchased a replacement gasket (from Mikey914) that goes beween the dashboard and the windshield (and around the defroster vents). My existing one is pretty decrepid. Fortunately my dash is not cracked and looks good, so I would like to pull the old gasket and install the new one, but before I jump in and begin cursing my decision....does anyone have any advice on pulling out the old and installing the new? Any help appreciated.

thanks!

Reg
914itis
QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Jul 22 2011, 05:49 PM) *

All,

I purchased a replacement gasket (from Mikey914) that goes beween the dashboard and the windshield (and around the defroster vents). My existing one is pretty decrepid. Fortunately my dash is not cracked and looks good, so I would like to pull the old gasket and install the new one, but before I jump in and begin cursing my decision....does anyone have any advice on pulling out the old and installing the new? Any help appreciated.

thanks!

Reg

Hm,,,, I think that you will have to remove the windshielf for that. I am not sure, we will wait for the pro's advice.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(ppetion @ Jul 22 2011, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Jul 22 2011, 05:49 PM) *

All,

thanks!

Reg

Hm,,,, I think that you will have to remove the windshielf for that. I am not sure, we will wait for the pro's advice.

You got lucky.The one you got from Mikey can be install without removing the windsheild. Pain in the butt to do but is doable...
I've done 2

Bob
jt914-6
Get a hook tool and pull it out. The factory one should have a metal U shape to it embedded in the rubber. Once you start it coming off it will be easy.
potomacmidget
Guys - thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Lucky for me the prior owner replaced the windshield so at least the outside part is good, just need to get the guts to pull out the gasket, but since I live in Maryland it is like 120F in my garage, ugh...just was tinkering with my MG and need a shower..again, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Reg
pcar916
Hmmm. An MG and a 914. You are a glutton for funishment. I put mine in without removing the windshield.

Good luck
Jerry75914
I also put one in from Mikey, great product as always. One bit of advice I'll pass along...mine was so torched from being in the sun, that when I pulled it out, the rubber was rock hard and basically shattered into little bits as I pulled it out. Months later I am still finding little bits of hard plastic in my cabin...use some kind of drip cloth and seal off the vents so little bits don't go in there...trust me! headbang.gif
Mikey914
This thread will help.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=windshield
eric9144
Tape off your defrost vents if possible then get some needle-nose pliers or something like them and start pulling out--Mine was as described above, hard as a rock and exploded everywhere, still finding pieces...

The new 914rubber part can then be installed, start at one side and work your way over, I started in the passenger side just because its easier...If you need to push it in a little extra don't use anything sharp or pointed as its likely to leave marks in the new trim piece...

All in all, very easy install, my biggest problem was the mess the OE one made coming out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.