Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Data Logging to your video cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
There's been a discussion about camera mounts on the Rennlist racing list. This tidbit came out of that.
Trackvision check out some of the videos on the gallery page. I sent them an email regarding availability of the product. It will be released in July.

Looks cool to me, although the throttle sensors don't seem to be sensitive enough.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Andyrew
You had my hopes up. I thought someone came out with an affordable unit to track data on video.

They don't list prices, but it's something you rent at the track.

I think I'll concentrate on getting the car running first...

Hmm.. idea.gif

It's 9:14, do you know where your teener is??

Have fun at the breakfast.
seanery
the info on the web page is not up to date. I believe this product will be something you can buy. The rent at the track thing looks like it was done during testing.
dan10101
I shot off my mouth too soon. (on Andrews login)

It is available for around $700 entry level.

Still it looks pretty slick. Someday the average joe will be datalogging just like F1 smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
that seems like a reasonable price to me. That info could be valuable. I like the steering input graphic.
dan10101
I think I'll just quit posting now, since I can't seem to get anything right. The DL90 is (one of ) the datalogging system. Then there seems to be the Apex product that feeds the video. Doesn't say how much that is.
icon8.gif

http://www.race-technology.com/WebPage2/Pr...0/DL90Home.html
ss6
The website is a little vague, but be careful about your assumptions on how this works.

If this is the gizmo I saw on the 911 bird board, you use a data logger to capture the data, then you get to download the data to a computer, then you get to also download your video to the computer, then you get to wait for the software package to crunch the data, generate the graphics, and merge it with the video. So for a 20 minute run, you *might* get to see the result 40+ minutes later.

As a show-the-folks-at-home novelty, the overlayed track video is pretty cool. As a learning tool, consider the fact that you'd want to be able to review your previous run in time to identify areas to work on for your next run. Assuming you spring for a trackside laptop and a USB or FireWire capable camcorder, download-and- crunch delay is gonna slow that idea way down.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(ss6 @ Jun 27 2004, 07:37 AM)
The website is a little vague, but be careful about your assumptions on how this works.

If this is the gizmo I saw on the 911 bird board, you use a data logger to capture the data, then you get to download the data to a computer, then you get to also download your video to the computer, then you get to wait for the software package to crunch the data, generate the graphics, and merge it with the video. So for a 20 minute run, you *might* get to see the result 40+ minutes later.

As a show-the-folks-at-home novelty, the overlayed track video is pretty cool. As a learning tool, consider the fact that you'd want to be able to review your previous run in time to identify areas to work on for your next run. Assuming you spring for a trackside laptop and a USB or FireWire capable camcorder, download-and- crunch delay is gonna slow that idea way down.

Got a better idea? <_<
TimT
Ive been involved with Beta testing the track vision software. It is a really cool set up..

The DL90 is a Data logger, the track vision software, synchs the DL90 info, over videos of your run. The DL90 is about $800, the track vision softwares price hasnt been announced yet.

The rpm pickup on the DL90 is taken from a spark plug wire, it works OK, but doesnt seem to have instantaneous response

Here is a screenshot, of a run at Lime Rock. the map color is based on speed, my cars location is shown by the black dot,the acceleration vectors are shown also.
TimT
then you get to wait for the software package to crunch the data, generate the graphics, and merge it with the video. So for a 20 minute run, you *might* get to see the result 40+ minutes later

Nope, open the trackvison software,open the raw DL90 generated CSV file, open the video file, synch the two, then render, you can see the overlay real time!
when you render and save it may take some time,depending on your PC's memory and processor speed
seanery
Tim,
Do you know about track maps for places those folks haven't been to?
I mean, do we make our own track map, or is there gonna be a database of tracks across the country?
TimT
Sean,

the DL90 generates the track map, based on your driving. It also produces a "reference lap" which is a lap based on the weighted avereages of all the laps in the run...iIts pretty informative stuff, showed me that max speed on the straight isnt near as important as being fast in the turns..

And I use my brakes to much

Most tracks have pretty good maps posted on their websites...

Im going to get in touch with Greg, and find out the status of the track vision software..I havent been in contact with him since late winter..
seanery
I got an email that says the software will be released in July.

the DL-90 making the map for you is very sweet!
TimT
I already have the software...Its really very easy to use..

The DL90 has been superceded by the DL1, figure $1000 if you already have a MiniDV camera..

I believe the Race-Technology stuff is the biggest bang for the buck..MyChron makes some nice stuff. Motec and Pi are well, they make what the Indy racers and Lemans teams use, along with the Vbox and EFI systems..
ss6
QUOTE(TimT @ Jun 27 2004, 09:12 AM)
then you get to wait for the software package to crunch the data, generate the graphics, and merge it with the video. So for a 20 minute run, you *might* get to see the result 40+ minutes later

Nope, open the trackvison software,open the raw DL90 generated CSV file, open the video file, synch the two, then render, you can see the overlay real time!
when you render and save it may take some time,depending on your PC's memory and processor speed

What you call render I called crunch. There is at least one gizmo out there that puts data on your track video as it is being recorded, no laptop, DL90, or downloading necessary. Do need a stand-alone camera and some sort of VCR/camcorder. No graphics, but useful trackside info.

http://datacam2.com/datacam2.html

Paul knows I developed something similar, but bailed on offering it for sale. Too many similar offerings for too small a market.

Didn't mean to poop on the software product, I just think the information is most useful if you can apply what you learned immediately, ie on your next run if not during your current run (which would require a very different approach).
TimT
Im well aware of the datacam....

most of those applications use the obdI and obdII ports....

which year 914 has OBDII?

I just did some beta testing for Greg @ apexviz... and I got the DL90 before Apex viz was a blip on the horizon..

I usually have ample time to look at the DL90 data between runs... the video overlays are just learning tools for the slow part of the season..
ss6
QUOTE(TimT @ Jul 5 2004, 08:56 PM)

most of those applications use the obdI and obdII ports....

which year 914 has OBDII?

Cute. The DataCam is available in non-OBDx configurations.

Greg's software is icing on the cake if you've already got the DL90 / DV camcorder / laptop. Nice to hear the graphics overlays immediately, it's not at all clear in their info. Will the laptop / data stay in sync with the camcorder if you rewind / replay in the middle of the tape?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.