Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PRAY FOR CHRISTINE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
hot_shoe914
Okay, as many of you know Christine is down with a low compression reading on #3 cylinder. Today she gets exploratory surgery to hopefully find and correct the problem. Ken and I will be performing the operation and being as neither one of use are mechanics, she will need all the prayers she can get. This is actually taking place in about an hour in a parking lot. This should give you an idea of the danger the poor girl is in.
sheeplove.gif

Shoe
rick 918-S
OMG! yikes.gif I'd like to say she's in good hands but..... unsure.gif
markb
Good luck!
SLITS
Be gentle when you are fondling her parts ... don't use latex/nitrile gloves ... she wouldn't like that.
Cheapsnake
Make sure you administer plenty of anesthesia. beer3.gif
Dr Evil
Yer fucked tongue.gif
poke.gif

Let me know when you will be bringing it over for me to fix it smile.gif
hot_shoe914
The motor has been removed and is sitting on a dolly in the parking lot. Now to get it in the shop and on a bench for dismantling. Hopefully get that done next week. Might get the engine tin bead blasted and painted while it is out. That way maybe I won't 4peat as winner of dirtiest engine bay at MUSR 12 if we make it. Pics to follow shortly. Break time right now. smoke.gif

Shoe
JRust
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 23 2011, 07:58 AM) *

Yer fucked tongue.gif
poke.gif

Hey if the Shoe fits blink.gif

What the hell is going on Don WTF.gif I thought you didn't work on them confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 23 2011, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 23 2011, 07:58 AM) *

Yer fucked tongue.gif
poke.gif

Hey if the Shoe fits blink.gif

What the hell is going on Don WTF.gif I thought you didn't work on them confused24.gif

Dropping the motor doesn't really count as working on them does it? confused24.gif
scotty b
Did you talk to the manager of that Wal-mart before doing this. Or will this be airing on COPS in a few weeks ?? confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 23 2011, 03:09 PM) *

Did you talk to the manager of that Wal-mart before doing this. Or will this be airing on COPS in a few weeks ?? confused24.gif

Probably should have gone to Walmart, might have been able to get on the shady side. This actually took place in front of my mechanics shop, unfortunately in the direct sun. We did have one small fan though and plenty of cold liquids. beer3.gif
saigon71
Good luck Shoe...Hope the surgery is successful and you get her back on the road soon! Wrenching on vehicles outside in the baking sun is just no fun.

Bob
hot_shoe914
Wrenching on vehicles outside in the baking sun is just no fun.

agree.gif
mojorisen914
I'm still scratching my head over this whole thing and asking WHY?
Haudiosolutions
I was under the impression we should only tackle such projects in late fall the reassemble in early spring??? Good luck! beer.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jul 24 2011, 09:41 AM) *

I'm still scratching my head over this whole thing and asking WHY?

I want a teener to drive this fall and this is how to get it. Christine is very special and even though her body is rotten, she deserves to be running.
Drums66
.....don't mind the comment's...Do what you know! shades.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif (let us know,what happen's)
She is in the parking lot of Shoe's mechanic in the pics. It is quicker/cheaper for the dirty work to be out of the way. It was a Saturday so no luck on a bay(frown). Shoe is removing exhaust/tin/head this afternoon to get at the crux of his trouble with Christine. Possible/probable blown head gasket and collateral damage(sigh)
scotty b
confused24.gif icon_bump.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif confused24.gif icon_bump.gif confused24.gif icon_bump.gif
Bleyseng
Looks like you borrowed SirAndy's camera too!

Good luck.
hot_shoe914
I plan to drop the head and cylinders off to the mechanic today. All of the engine tin has been boxed up and sent to Mary and Buttercup for bead blasting and painting. Hopefully the man can get the head to seat back down with no leakage and then reassembly will begin.
hot_shoe914
Currently the motor is still wrapped in shrink wrap and has been riding around in the back of my truck for two weeks.
hot_shoe914
Latest update on Christine is as follows. I went to the shop today and dropped off the head and cylinders. In addition to the heads leaking at the cylinders, the valve seats are leaking also and the seat on #3 (the dead cylinder) is recessed. Therefore, at this time Christine is in need of a head job. I might have a good head at home but not sure. If not, I will be in the market for a good 2.0 head.

Shoe
hot_shoe914
There may be hope for Christine yet. I was contacted by another member today and looks like a possible good donor head will be coming this way soon. Once it arrives I will have it checked over and gone through and if all goes well it will be installed on Christine with hopes of getting her running again in time for MUSR 12. Keep your fingers crossed and to the gracious donor pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 14 2011, 12:29 AM) *

There may be hope for Christine yet. I was contacted by another member today and looks like a possible good donor head will be coming this way soon. Once it arrives I will have it checked over and gone through and if all goes well it will be installed on Christine with hopes of getting her running again in time for MUSR 12. Keep your fingers crossed and to the gracious donor pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Great news shoe! My prayers to the teener gods continue for Christine. biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Aug 14 2011, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 14 2011, 12:29 AM) *

Great news shoe! My prayers to the teener gods continue for Christine. biggrin.gif

Thanks Bob, how is your car coming? You going to have that baby ready for Hershey? confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
Sadly the donor was not a good match for Christine. sad.gif However, I have located my other spare head and am about to go and check it out and see if it is any good. I sure hope it is for Christine's sake. She is a good car and deserves to be on the road. I will keep you all posted on the new organ if it is a match or not.

Shoe
hot_shoe914
Well, my other spare head looks pretty decent other than being dirty as hell. I filled the chambers with water and let it sit for a few hours and never saw any leakage. I will try to drop it off to my mechanic tomorrow if I get a chance and let him check it over and see if he thinks it will work. If so I will have him go through it and get it ready then Ken and I will try and put her back together again.

Shoe
hot_shoe914
For those of you interested (both of you) here is an update on Christine. I finally found my other spare head and it seems okay but needs to be fly cut. Unfortunately there is nobody in Memphis that does this to the type IV heads. sad.gif Fortunately, after making several phone calls and following many referals, I found a guy who has been doing this type of work since 1964. biggrin.gif He lives in a little po dunk town in Arkansas unsure.gif and also has the equipment needed to do a type IV. Therefore I am going to have the entire head reworked and hope for the best. Sadly he does no welding but as long as nothing needs to be welded, he will fix me up and for an awesome price. He will receive the head tomorrow morning along with a spare head just in case and I should have it back a week from tomorrow if all goes well. piratenanner.gif I'm really curious to see what kind of work he does popcorn[1].gif as his prices are awesome. Ridiculously cheap. confused24.gif

Shoe
hot_shoe914
Well, it is now looking as if I won't have a teener to drive for MUSR12. I had plans to have heads reworked, new pistons and cylidners and tweaked out to a 2056. I needed one head and after going through about four I finally found a good useable head. Then it happened today at 4:30. My "OH SHIT" moment. The head was to have been sent off yesterday and the people doing it did not send it. I go by this afternoon to pick up the heads so I can take them and other parts to the shop on Saturday. Being at work and in a hurry, I rushed into the guy's place of business, scooped up my heads(one good one, one bad one for parts) and headed for the door. Being the fat clumsy guy that I am, I tripped over some bullshit in the floor and fell and you guessed it. Busted one of the heads beyond repair. Was it the bad one that was already trash? Oh HELL NO, it had to be the good one I worked so hard to come up with. Christine is dead in the water again unless I can come up with a good useable head that needs no welding.

Rant over..... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
majkos
To much hurrying,can hurt,no?

(I'm tired of rush jobs, I make too many mistakes) BTDT dry.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 17 2011, 05:16 PM) *

Well, it is now looking as if I won't have a teener to drive for MUSR12. I had plans to have heads reworked, new pistons and cylidners and tweaked out to a 2056. I needed one head and after going through about four I finally found a good useable head. Then it happened today at 4:30. My "OH SHIT" moment. The head was to have been sent off yesterday and the people doing it did not send it. I go by this afternoon to pick up the heads so I can take them and other parts to the shop on Saturday. Being at work and in a hurry, I rushed into the guy's place of business, scooped up my heads(one good one, one bad one for parts) and headed for the door. Being the fat clumsy guy that I am, I tripped over some bullshit in the floor and fell and you guessed it. Busted one of the heads beyond repair. Was it the bad one that was already trash? Oh HELL NO, it had to be the good one I worked so hard to come up with. Christine is dead in the water again unless I can come up with a good useable head that needs no welding.

Rant over..... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

poorsche914
And to think I was feeling down after finding a leaky fuel hose at #2 injector when getting ready to fire up the engine for the first time after a swap that has taken me two months.

driving.gif
hot_shoe914
There is hope once again. There is an awesome member on here sending me one out tomorrow. Never give up!!!
majkos
thumb3d.gif "never give up"
hot_shoe914
Okay, it has been awhile since I have posted so here is the latest. I finally got my heads back and am now trying to build a motor(have never built anything but v8s) along with Ken(7275914911) Pretty much like the blind leading the blind but here is where we have made it to so far.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

More to follow as we get more accomplished. Like the title says, PLEASE PRAY FOR CHRISTINE!! Even more so now than before!
rnellums
Lookin good!!!
rick 918-S
Nice, make it go! beerchug.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 18 2011, 11:33 PM) *

Nice, make it go! beerchug.gif

That's the plan, but it could just be a grenade. confused24.gif Never built one of these before so anything could happen, or worse yet, nothing at all. happy11.gif
scotty b
WOW I was just thinking about bumping this thread as I was driving in this morning. Good to see you getting her repaired beerchug.gif
rnellums
I built one when I was 16 without "the world" I'm pretty sure it is gonna turn out fine!

-Ross
sean_v8_914
is that a left side piston on teh right side of teh motor?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 19 2011, 08:10 AM) *

is that a left side piston on teh right side of teh motor?

Probably, but I can swap them around when I take it back apart this evening.
Valy
Hey Shoe,

Be careful with that engine stand! I don't like the way it hocks-up to the engine blink.gif .Those ears that you're using on the case are not built to support its weight the way you use them.
See that big round lip around the flywheel? That is designed to spread the load (if you support it from it) and the ears are there just to hold the support in place.
All the VW/Porsche engine stands are built with a 180deg arc that supports that big round lip.

I'm not saying that you broke your motor, just be very careful cause the ears can brake.
some better pics of mock-up....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.