Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mburkhart
Just got my car back from a major tuneup last weekend. It was running perfectly. Went out for a drive today and wasn't even around the block before 1) the alternator light went on, 2) the voltmeter stopped working, and 3) the tachometer started bouncing between 0 and the correct value. With the brake pedal down, the tach always goes to 0. Right when this started, I heard a mysterious clicking under the passenger seat. The car still starts and runs perfectly, but I'm afraid to go anywhere now.

I looked under the passenger seat and everything appears fine. I pulled the voltmeter and found that the light bulb has fallen into the gauge (I'm working on getting it out).

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?
mburkhart
I found a post by Dave Darling who said:

The no tach/Alt light on/etc. is a blown fuse. I think #9, but could be #8.

I'm heading outside to have a look!

UPDATE: Both #8 and #9 were blown. Now I remember my mechanic (Brad Mayeur) telling me that the fuse for my wipers has a short and kept blowing the fuse, so I assume that accounts for one of the blown fuses. For whatever reason the other decided to blow today too.
mgphoto
QUOTE(mburkhart @ Jul 23 2011, 03:23 PM) *

I found a post by Dave Darling who said:

The no tach/Alt light on/etc. is a blown fuse. I think #9, but could be #8.

I'm heading outside to have a look!

UPDATE: Both #8 and #9 were blown. Now I remember my mechanic (Brad Mayeur) telling me that the fuse for my wipers has a short and kept blowing the fuse, so I assume that accounts for one of the blown fuses. For whatever reason the other decided to blow today too.

Glad you found it, at times corrosion can build up on the end of the # 9 fuse and its connections in the fuse box, it causes the same problem, a little sand paper takes care of it, but in an emergency rotate the fuse to make a better connection, be careful it gets hot!
Good luck,
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.