Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big time scare! Electrical issue & alot of smoke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Not exactly sure but when I was redoing some of my radiator stuff. I added a relay to one fan. Surprisingly enough it was the other fan that had the wire fry on me. I got very lucky though. I saw some smoke & thought WTF.gif . This was in the front trunk area. Looked inside my cab & saw some more smoke coming from under the dash. I unhooked the positive battery terminal right away.

That wire fried & melted some casing on a few other wires it was zip tied too. It was only smoking in the cab from where it cam through from the front trunk. So it didn't screw up any of my wiring under the dash. I am just lucky I caught it quick. I was very close to it being very serious. Especially with it up on stand in the back. I wouldn't have been able to push it out of my barn/shop. The whole damn thing could have gone up sad.gif . I did have a fire extenquisher that would work on electrical too. I am not totally unprepared for issues. It is good to get a wake up call every once in a while though idea.gif . Damn happy I didn't torch my v8 & suby conversion all in one fell icon8.gif swoop

Done working in the garage today huh.gif . I'm off to my sons Baseball playoff game now. Much less stressful evilgrin.gif

Oh I think I had my wires plugged into the relay mixed up. Anyone have a wiring diagram for how Renegade's relays go?
Dave_Darling
You need fuses on the wires supplying the power from the battery. This is exactly what they are supposed to prevent.

--DD
JRust
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 23 2011, 04:23 PM) *

You need fuses on the wires supplying the power from the battery. This is exactly what they are supposed to prevent.

--DD

Yeah I had added one to the one I put a switch on. No problems with that one. I picked up a new relay for the fried one & got another inline fuse. I've allready got the new fuse in place. I'd still like to have one of the fans just come on with a toggle switch. The relays need a 30amp though. Will a normal toggle switch handle that much amperage?
underthetire
No they won't. But that's the whole reason for a relay. The coil only uses a fraction of an amp to trigger the high current side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.