Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You want a Plug ‘N Play D-Jet replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
This has been talked about extensively and it seems like it is possible. These are the issues I see that need to be resolved:

1. DN Hunt has nearly completed the A/F maps for a stock 2.0…dyno time is all that remains.
2. Someone, or the car owner, needs to obtain and build the MS hardware.
3. Someone, or the car owner, needs to get the additional needed components and assemble/modify them ready to bolt on and either offer an exchange program or let the car owner do it: TPS, sensors, plenum mods, O2 sensor bung, MegaSpark and…(I am sure there is more).
4. Someone, or the car owner, needs to get me a complete system operational, so I can prototype the harness and make it a bolt on.

I suspect I will be on D-jet for quite a while before my stash of MPS’s run out…that and my other 914 projects…

The only way I see this will work is if a turn-key package can be assembled and sold competitive with the cost of carbs. I think the hard cost of the components is competitive and reasonable, but a truly bolt-on, turn key swap, considering the cost of labor to assemble the board makes it more pricey.

What else needs to be done?

I can and will do the harness when the opportunity arises…who else can jump in and help?
Brad Roberts
I'm ignoring this thread.

Let me know when they are ready.

B
seanery
I don't think you are....

...you're in denial.....
Mark Henry
I don’t mean to be a buzz-kill, I just have a bit of insight on this issue.

By the time you have a replacement system that is professionally built and packaged, would you not be basically building a system like those that are already on the market and in about the same price range? I realize that it would have a nicer harness.

Sure you could flash it to run 914 stock engines but most people will still want the flexibility of being able to pump up their engine at a later date.

The other problem is that the 914 market is quite limited, you would find that you would first want to expand into the other P cars, then VW aircooled’s, then what, compete with the other aftermarket PEFI systems?

It all sounds great and everyone will be all for it, till its time to plunk down the coin.
ChrisReale
Ill plunk down the coin. After seeing D Hunts set up, I wanted one. Something about having a lap top hooked up to a port under the dash of a 914 and being able to adjust your motor... boldblue.gif
mightyohm
Once it's set up, what is there to adjust?
DNHunt
jkeyser:

The simple answer is nothing.

The scary answer is everything. The 2.0L have these great big injectors that are good for about 250 hp @ the stock fuel pressure. I imagine everyone can come up with shopping list of engine mods they would like to do. Flow the heads, retune, you don't want to leave any horsepower behind. Bigger valves, retune, cam, retune, exhaust, retune, intake runners, retune, throttle body, bigger jugs. Turbo anyone? Hold on to your wallet.

I think people will play because they can. I know its going to drive me nuts. Wife too I supose.

Dave
Lawrence
Got a full picture of an engine bay with a D-jet replacement?

The reason that I like carbs is simplicity. Carbs clean up the engine bay. No gaggle, snarl, or rats nest of wires and hoses and stray components. To me, that's what a stock D-Jet looks like.

Make it clean, make it simple, make it attractive to look at.

-Rusty
Bleyseng
Best shot I have of it.
Geoff
Bleyseng
I like the look of dual carbs too but when you drive a good running FI car vs a carb car you will love the " feel of FI".
Geoff
Lawrence
Thanks, Geoff.

Seems that most of the stock vacuum lines, etc are in place, and this is more stuff to put into the engine bay.

Hmmm.. I want to see this in person someday.

OTOH, I suppose if I want a clean, neat install, I should just go buy a Miata or something. barf.gif

-Rusty
Bleyseng
One of the guys at the breakfast is going to go to dual throttle bodies and install the MS FI. That should be interesting! Maybe that would fit you too Rusty.
Geoff
airsix
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 23 2003, 07:47 AM)
Thanks, Geoff.

Seems that most of the stock vacuum lines, etc are in place, and this is more stuff to put into the engine bay.

Hmmm.. I want to see this in person someday.

OTOH, I suppose if I want a clean, neat install, I should just go buy a Miata or something. barf.gif

-Rusty

Lawrence,
My PEFI install (not MS, but similar) is really spartan. I've got it apart* this week but should have it back together by Friday and I'll shoot a pic for you. All you see is breather hoses from the heads to the puke tank, intake runners, plenum, throttlebody, and fuel lines. I've got a motorcycle filter on the end of the TB, so there's no airbox, just one vacuum line (for the MAP sensor), and that's about it.

There is MUCH LESS in the engine bay than with D-jet.

-Ben M.

*Was installing larger fuel pump, bigger (280zx) injectors and 48mm TB equiped for ECU idle control last night. Ahh... ECU controlled idle. I can't wait.
kdfoust
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 23 2003, 07:54 AM)
One of the guys at the breakfast is going to go to dual throttle bodies and install the MS FI. That should be interesting! Maybe that would fit you too Rusty.
Geoff

How come dual TBs? More flow?

Have fun,
Kevin
Bleyseng
He is a carb guy, hates the plenum idea, thinks it doesn't flow enough air. Thinks that you will get way more air at higher rpms with dual TBs' like dual carbs.

Someone did the cal's on this and the 2.0l plenum will flow enough air for a 2.3l engine. Anyone remember who or what the scoop is on this? Dave Darling where are you as you remember this kind of info.
Geoff
airsix
How come dual TBs?  More flow?

It all depends on what your goals are. If you want some bottom end torque and drivability go with a plenum and single TB. This is the best option for a street or dual purpose car IMHO.
If you want the ultimate top-end power go with Jerry Woods style straight vertical tuned stacks with slide-valve TB and injectors mounted in the airbox top cover firing straight down into the tuned stacks. Cool and effective at 7,000 rpm, but not the best for a grocery getter.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.