NARP
orthobiz
Ah! I'll just pronounce it French style:

ennn, ahhh, ehrrr, paaaay

Paul biggrin.gif
Drums66
......... brain.gif (have a hip trip) bye1.gif
Steve
There is an auto parts store there on one of the main streets that has alot of cool stuff. I bought a hard to find brake pad spreader that Pushes both pistons back at the same time. Allot better than using a screw driver. I also bought a Momo Competition steering wheel. They also had lots of other cool euro stuff that I have never seen in the states. However the Euro to USD exchange sucks.
Elliot Cannon
You're going to Paris? You don't speak French? lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Bon chance mon ami.
914itis
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 28 2011, 08:26 PM) *

You're going to Paris? You don't speak French? lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Bon chance mon ami.

1974 = mil neuf cent soixante quartoze.
914= neuf cent quartoze

1.8 L. = un point huit litre
Mike Bellis
Narpier
jimtab
Pack some cool clothes; July and August are hot there.....
ThinAir
Have fun! I'm so envious!

Steve - do you have a name & address for the parts place?
johannes
Bienvenue en France.

If you plan to travel around in France, feel free to contact me. I live next to Strasbourg. Very nice town, worth visiting. With the TGV train it's about 2.5 hours from Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK4mh775Db8
PRS914-6
This isn't what you asked for but it may help you and others.....

I travel a lot to other countries and rarely have a problem. However, I frequently hear from my friends how rude people are in Paris. Although I must say that the people in southern France are much kinder and warmer than Paris, I found one common thing that works in all countries but is especially important in Paris.....well almost critical...

In Paris in particular, Americans are thought to be rude for good reason. They start off in English expecting the French to respond in English. For instance, in a restaurant saying "I want a Coke" with never an attempt to speak French. Remember you are in France. The number one thing you can do is to learn one simple phrase in French.....I'm sorry I don't speak French, can you help me? You will find that they laugh at your French pronunciation but will then ease your severe pain by speaking English. It's a unique experience in Paris. They hate it when you butcher their elegant language but hate it far worse when you don't try......choose your evil...If you are willing to try, the French will typically warm right up to you. You will have achieved "some" respect immediately.

90% speak English but EXPECTING them to for your benefit is another story. I had a fabulous time in France. I even had an older couple (WW2 era) come to us in a restaurant, ask if we were Americans and than immediately treated us to drinks....go figure. (southern France)

Put together a small "cheat sheet" of phrases like above....."Special of the day", please and thank you, can you help me?, my bill please, where is the WC? etc.

Again, expect a chuckle at your pronunciation but it's OK. Also, Americans are thought to always be in a big hurry....rush rush rush. Allow extra time in restaurants and such...the pace is slower and more enjoyable.

Enjoy!
johannes
I agree with Paul. French people don't like visitors to behave as they were in a conquered land.
Just learn: do you speak english? Can you help me?. Use google translate and click on the "listen button". This will give you the correct pronunciation.
Steve
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Jul 28 2011, 11:07 PM) *

Have fun! I'm so envious!

Steve - do you have a name & address for the parts place?

I searched through all my receipts and can't find the name of the place, however I googled auto parts stores in Paris and I think its this place.
Atom MotorSport
66 Avenue des Champs Elysées, 75008 Paris, France
+33 6 33 48 76 33
It was on the way to the Arche' de triumph. Sorry if I pronounced that wrong. I also agree with Paul and Johannes, learn hello, sorry i don't speak french, do you speak english and most important "thank you" in french. If you are humble, they are mostly very nice people. I was there for two weeks and I only had a problem with a cab driver that pretended to not speak english and ripped me off. A funny story.. I was hungry late at night due to the time change and went to Mcdonalds. The guy asked what I wanted in French. I said number one in french. He asked a bunch of questions in French and i kept saying yes (we) in French. I ended up with a burger, french fries and a beer. It was the best and cheapest beer i had in Paris. The meat in the burger didn't taste the same as the US though. I also noticed that all the english speaking people hang out at pubs. There was an Irish pub down the street from my hotel that was awesome. Pretty wild mainly with people from the U.S., England, Scottland and Ireland hanging out there.
James Joyce Pub
71 Boulevard Gouvion-Saint-Cyr, 75017 Paris, France
+33 1 44 09 70 32 () ‎
Steve
Here is a picture of the cool brake pad spreader that I bought at that Auto parts store in Paris.
Click to view attachment
Steve
I also bought this Momo Competition Steering wheel. Same price in the States though.
Click to view attachment
dlestep
...VoPo
Elliot Cannon
I found that in Germany, some people are mildly insulted if you ask, "do you speak english"? Actually I found most people do speak english. This is also true in Asia, especially the younger crowd. It was suggested by a friend who is traveling through South America that you ask, "may I speak English"?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 29 2011, 11:08 AM) *

I found that in Germany, some people are mildly insulted if you ask, "do you speak english"? ?

Makes sense when you think about it....You are immediately putting them on the spot by asking them if they have a skill or possibly out of their comfort zone.

That's why I think it's better to say I don't speak (enter language) first. That puts me right up front in the dummy dept. If they speak even a little English it puts them in a more comfortable spot.
Drums66
....Some people in foreign countries, just fanaticly don't want to speak
english!? confused24.gif (we're the only country that caters to everyone else?)
idea.gif bye1.gif(Because we're multi cultural!)
windforfun
screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif

The French don't like Germans & they sure as hell don't like German cars.
johannes
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 29 2011, 12:34 PM) *

screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif

The French don't like Germans & they sure as hell don't like German cars.
Yes! this happened to be true in 1960...
claudeb
Keep your eye out for one of these; never seen one here.

Very cool: Smart Roadster Coupe

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
draganc
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 29 2011, 06:38 AM) *

This isn't what you asked for but it may help you and others.....

I travel a lot to other countries and rarely have a problem. However, I frequently hear from my friends how rude people are in Paris. Although I must say that the people in southern France are much kinder and warmer than Paris, I found one common thing that works in all countries but is especially important in Paris.....well almost critical...

In Paris in particular, Americans are thought to be rude for good reason. They start off in English expecting the French to respond in English. For instance, in a restaurant saying "I want a Coke" with never an attempt to speak French. Remember you are in France. The number one thing you can do is to learn one simple phrase in French.....I'm sorry I don't speak French, can you help me? You will find that they laugh at your French pronunciation but will then ease your severe pain by speaking English. It's a unique experience in Paris. They hate it when you butcher their elegant language but hate it far worse when you don't try......choose your evil...If you are willing to try, the French will typically warm right up to you. You will have achieved "some" respect immediately.

90% speak English but EXPECTING them to for your benefit is another story. I had a fabulous time in France. I even had an older couple (WW2 era) come to us in a restaurant, ask if we were Americans and than immediately treated us to drinks....go figure. (southern France)

Put together a small "cheat sheet" of phrases like above....."Special of the day", please and thank you, can you help me?, my bill please, where is the WC? etc.

Again, expect a chuckle at your pronunciation but it's OK. Also, Americans are thought to always be in a big hurry....rush rush rush. Allow extra time in restaurants and such...the pace is slower and more enjoyable.

Enjoy!

agree.gif

very good! i lived in france for two years and loved it! key is, you are in france and should speak at least the basics - even as a tourist in any country (hi, bye, thank you and f-off).

people in paris are as friendly as people in NYC.

and think about it, what would happend to a french dude if he/she would only speaking french in NYC?
johannes
QUOTE(claudeb @ Jul 30 2011, 04:24 AM) *

Keep your eye out for one of these; never seen one here.

Very cool: Smart Roadster Coupe

Click to view attachment

Oh yes wub.gif ! this one is on my list. Just have to convince the wife ...
ripper911
My only foreign travel experience was in Amsterdam for the 2006 Cannabis Cup, I studied dutch a bit before leaving, but once there everyone spoke english automatically to me. But it was at a time when most of the people walking around were tourists. smoke.gif and high.
I would definately try to learn the language, if only to be polite.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 29 2011, 11:57 AM) *
we're the only country that caters to everyone else?

confused24.gif

How far do you think i would get if i started every conversation here in the US with "Sprechen Sie Deutsch?".

From the day i arrived here i tried to speak English. And yes, people still make fun of my pronunciation but at least i'm trying to speak your language while i'm hanging out in your country.

Whenever i go to a foreign country, i try to speak their language while i'm there.
To me this is common sense, but i guess common sense it's not all that common anymore.

rolleyes.gif
ripper911
If you get miffed when you're asked if you speak spanish ( I get that alot), it would be similar to that for them with you over there trying to only speak english.

Just wear a 914 T-shirt, you wont have to know how to say it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.