Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eastwood gas tank treatment/sealer ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmmotorsports

Has anyone here used this stuff ? I have some minor surface rust in my tank,flaky stuff that is plugging my filters and has killed one fuel pump.

I would like to hear what people have done to fix similar problems.

Jerry
Krieger
I used whatever kit eastwood sold me around 1995. It was an acid etch and some goopy stuff I poured in and turned my tank around and around. I have never had a problem. Almost forgot, I used some laundry detergent to neutralize acid and prevent flash rust. Follow their directions and you should be good
VaccaRabite
Pull the tank. Take the sending unit out and dump all the crap on the inside out. If you have flakey rust use a length of chain in the tank and shake it around real good to scour the rust flake off. Clean the tank again and inspect it. If it looks good the reinstall it and fill it with fresh gas and be on your way. I would only seal the tank interior if the tank has issues.

The reason I suggest this is that I have read instances of the tank coating comming off over time. This may be application error or product failure. But t results in the end of the tank.

Personally I have the Eastwood tank sealing kit on my shelf but I have never used it.
McMark
My opinion...
76-914
Yep, stay away from 1 part "slosh sealants". It was OK in the "Old Gas Days" but no more.
914werke
RUN, dont walk, away from those solutions .... my .02
whatabout1
I used a POR15 kit on an old motorcycle and have never had any peeling.
That's using modern gas.

Vysoc
I used the full POR Kit 2 Summers ago, I had only surface rust in the inside of the gas tank and was going through my complete fuel delivery system. The process called for Step 1, Marine Clean to clean the tank, Step 2, was Metal Ready, and Step 3, was a product called US Sealer. This stuff is nasty as I recall I followed the directions to the letter and it cured up in no less than 72 hours. It all works fine and recently I changed out the gasket between the top of the tank and the expansion tank and was able to look down in the tank through some gas which magnified the inside. Everything was in great order and looked wonderful.....as far as inside of gas tanks are concerned?

I was happy with the system, but it was a 3 part system, if you ever do it make sure you have thick rubber gloves on when dealing with the Sealer, it's silver and I had no intention of touching that crap, next thing you know I thought I was Capt. America with silver hands.

For what it's worth, CSN.

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.