Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do these Suck ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkV
Anybody have any experience w/ these?

96's on E-bay

I have 5,000 miles on a rebuild: web cam & lifters, guides & valves, bearings. Original P&C's looked good so they were honed & re-ringed. The rings will not seat. The car smokes & uses a quart of oil w/ a tank of gas.

I have to take it apart and replace the P&C's and don't want to use anything that is of questionable quality. Maybe better off just ordering a set of flattop German 94's.
Seems like there aren't many choices for P&C's. confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
Mueller has them in his new engine.

They are sold by a company here in SanFran. I know a lot of engine builders that use P+C's from the manufacturing company with very good luck.

The price is decent.. but let Mueller give you the contact info for the people directly.

B
MarkV
I asked the seller where they are made.

Same country that Kieth Black,Federal Mogaul and more are made,China.

I guess not much comes from good old USA anymore. flag.gif
Brad Roberts
I knew they where Chinese. Mueller had a problem with a broken fin when his arrived and they replaced it without much hassle if I recall correctly.

Several BIG TIME engine builders in LA use these P+C's.

B
ChrisReale
Shit, Chinese pistons? Any feedback on durability? I know some Mahle's are made in Brazil, and the rev-limiting rotor I just bought (Bosch) was made in Spain...what happened to German made? I know, too expensive...labor costs
Brad Roberts
They have been selling these for at least 10 years if not more. If there was a big problem we would have already heard about it. Almost every single rebuilt VW Type1 engine and Type4 engine coming out of the big name rebuilders....uses these P+C's.

B
airsix
QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 22 2003, 09:10 PM)
I guess not much comes from good old USA anymore. flag.gif

Oh I don't know. Sadam and Co. are familliar with some of our top-of-the-line products from companies like General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin Aerospace, Boeing Aircraft/McDonnell Aircraft and Missile Systems, and Raytheon Corp. to name just a few. wink.gif

-Ben M.
MarkV
Ben,

I stand corrected. clap56.gif

Not very many low-tech cast iron automotive parts are made in the good old USA anymore. LOL
silver six
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 22 2003, 10:22 PM)
Sadam and Co. are familliar with some of our top-of-the-line products from companies like General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin Aerospace, Boeing Aircraft/McDonnell Aircraft and Missile Systems, and Raytheon Corp. to name just a few.

Great. So the rest of the world makes car parts and we make machines that kill people. Not something to brag about.

The Lone Liberal,

Douglas
Mueller
Mark,

AA Automotive Products. (415) 752-2075,
450 2nd Ave, San Francisco, CA 94118
need4speed
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 22 2003, 10:22 PM)

Oh I don't know. Sadam and Co. are familliar with some of our top-of-the-line products from companies like General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin Aerospace, Boeing Aircraft/McDonnell Aircraft and Missile Systems, and Raytheon Corp.  to name just a few.   wink.gif

-Ben M.

Yay Lockheed!

JDAMs don't kill people. People kill people.

(not the weapon manufacturer's fault that their products are used irresponsibly. I'm all for licensing and background checks for thes idiot politicians)
Bleyseng
No, there is Andy and myself on the BBS. Long as you don't start talking crap like Alfred/Jeff you will be fine here.
Geoff
seanery
I think I hear a heart bleeding somewhere....
Eddie Williams
If you listen to some liberals, cars and their associated parts are just as bad as bombs, as far as being people killing machines. And a danger to the environment as well.
J P Stein
The Japanese and the Germans both complained that the US fought a "richmans war" in WWII. Heavy on firepower, low on casualities. Our troops like it....oh, I forget, liberals don't become "troops".
MarkV
So Mueller,

I called AA Automotive products. They must be the importer, kind of hard to understand over the phone.

Flattop 96's are $349; flattop 94's are $249. Price seems really cheap. Did you go w/ the 96's or 94’s?

flag.gif
Mueller
I should have warned you on that...english is a second language smile.gif

I have the 94's since the car was going to be a BP car...no longer, the rule book will now put me in some crazy @ss X or Z class with fire breathing monsters....should be fun MDB2.gif
MarkV
I think I am going to call him back and order the 94's. Should be interesting trying to give him credit card & address. English is definitely second language. Thanks
my15window
Ive been trying to get ahold of this guy for 2 months,, his add says he has 103s for 449$ I hear they are ching shin brand demlillo machine is building my motor and says he's had peoples motors time bomb with these. has any one used the 103s? and do they last?
MarkV
15 Window,

I called & he answered the phone.

Where did you see an ad ?

Aren't 103's kind the definition of a time bomb? Or at least a 25,000 mile time bomb.
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 23 2003, 12:18 PM)
No, there is Andy and myself on the BBS. Long as you don't start talking crap like Alfred/Jeff you will be fine here.
Geoff

Well, if you say I talk crap, it must be true. Not! Do me a favor - the next time I talk crap, quote me and then correct me. If you're right, I'll certainly accept it. For example, if I quote some government murder rate stats and you think it's crap, then post your evidence to the contrary. BTW, for any thread that I started that was off topic, I put "OT" in the title.

Now, does anyone want to hear about how the Harvard and Princeton math professors that I contacted confirmed that I was right in my little math discussion with Andy? biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Please Alfred...PLEASE.

I think I have been more than fair letting you post this crap. I dont want to moderate...I shouldnt have to moderate. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY gives flying FUCKING SHIT about your math problem. I'm the easiest person in the world to get along with and your starting to piss me off (BIG TIME) DROP THE FUCKING subject. I dont care if your right or wrong.. I dont care if Andy is right or wrong.

I dont want to boot your ass off the BBS because I honestly think you have something to add...but I'm beginning to think I was wrong about you. Please prove me wrong and ad some value to this site.

B
Jeff Krieger
Ok Brad. I'll keep it on topic until somebody else brings it up first - like in this thread.
my15window
oh, by the way, I saw his add in vw trends, has all kinds of P.C. kits for type 4 and type 1s
Brad Roberts
Thank You Alfred.

The people bringing it up are trying to provoke you... ignore it.

B
my15window
so, do you think I should cough up the bucks for the k+b pistons or are these the same?
Brad Roberts
I have held both in my hands.. The only thing missing is the KB stamped on the wrist pin boss just inside the piston skirt. Run them.

B
silver six
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Apr 23 2003, 11:40 AM)
If you listen to some liberals, cars and their associated parts are just as bad as bombs, as far as being people killing machines. And a danger to the environment as well.

Well, it is an interesting point. Cars do consistently kill some 50,000 people a year, in America. That's similar to the numbers we lost in Vietnam and WWII. Now, people may very well have the right to risk their lives by driving cars. That's their choice. I drive a car every day. But at the same time I don't think you have to be a liberal to appreciate that loss of life is a bad thing and that people should be aware of the true risks they are taking behind the wheel.

Liberal Without a Cause,

Douglas
Steve Thacker
Great topic....I have a newby question.
I keep seeing these 96mm and 94mm piston and cylinders combo kits on ebay. I'd like to really fresh up my engine some.
If I purchased a set of 96s would I have to do anything (machining) to 2 liter? I just want to keep the engine bone stock.

Not drive myself nuts looking for a machine shop and carting the thing over.

Thanks!
MarkV
The 94's the above seller has, are the ultra low compression bus motor variety. The 96's are made to go in w/ no machine work to the heads or case.
Steve Thacker
Thanks MarkV!!!
Aaron Cox
The 94's the above seller has, are the ultra low compression bus motor variety. The 96's are made to go in w/ no machine work to the heads or case.
HUH? how, they have a bigger bore w/ the same outer diameter? hmm..less wall on the 96's then right? which makes them not last as long right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.