Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeal in engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I finally got around to digging into the engine noise from last year after driving the car for less than an hour around the neighborhood I experienced a squeal in the engine, most noticeable when I let off of the gas. I drove it straight home less than five miles and parked it in the garage. I pulled the transmission out today and found the fly wheel bolts came loose. I torqued them down again and checked my end play and found the I'm out of tolerance by .002. I know I torqued them when I installed the fly wheel because I made a tool to hold the fly wheel, but I didn't check the end play.
I drained the engine oil and found brass fines in the oil, not a lot but some. I'm wondering if I have wiped out the bearings or if I stopped in time.

Jsaum
SLITS
Brass would be the distributor drive gear on the crankshaft getting eaten up as the crank moved fore and aft excessively.
jsaum
That's what I was wondering if I caught it in time do you think the engine can be saved by adding the correct shim?
Cap'n Krusty
That depends. If the play is in the shims, yes. If the play is the rear main thrust moving in the case, no.

The Cap'n
Mark Henry
agree.gif
To add to the krusty one's post only if the end play can be made up with 3 shims, if you need 4 shims you're fuched.
jsaum
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 24 2011, 10:00 PM) *

agree.gif
To add to the krusty one's post only if the end play can be made up with 3 shims, if you need 4 shims you're fuched.

Then I might be o.k! I measured and I need .002 shim to correct the end play.

Jsaum
rhodyguy
i have a bunch of shims and the correct flywheel locking tool that makes the job much easier. let me know.

k
Cap'n Krusty
.002 extra play isn't going to cause a squeal, IME.

The Cap'n
rhodyguy
if the flywheel was loose could the TO bearing get uneven pressure? could that cause the noise?
jsaum
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 25 2011, 06:33 AM) *

i have a bunch of shims and the correct flywheel locking tool that makes the job much easier. let me know.

k

Kevin,

Thanks that would be great, just let me know when is a good time this evening to come by and pick them up.

James

253-677-8330
Drums66
.....Look to your distributor for your squeal? idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif( i agree with the 4 shims Fuched)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.