Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should i buy this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Woody
So a buddy of mine wants to sell me a 2.7 out of an old targa for $500. Supposedly this thing ran when parked. It comes complete with the CIS injection. I was going to do a big four this winter as the car currently has a cammed and carbed 2056. The car is an occasional daily driver, monthly axer, and every once in a while it will see the track. I wouldn't mind doing the conversion, ditching the injection and throw some cams and headwork in the picture. I don't really want to increase the weight of the car but this is inevitable. The car is awesome as is except I could use another 1000 rpm for some of the ax courses. If I do the conversion I will have to re-setup the car which would mean brakes and suspension. I am very tempted to go through with it. Does anyone want to talk me out of it or should I quit my crying and buy it?
sixnotfour
500 you wont get hurt, but it will need at leats that much in case machine work,unless it has already beeen done and you lucky.
a 2.7 is a light motor compared to a 3.0-3.2.
jmill
$500 bucks is a steal. Keep in mind you might end up spending 10x's that to rebuild it.
shoguneagle
Let us start with cost of the conversion aside from a good buy price on a 2.7 engine. It will add up fast just doing the conversion. It all depends on how serious you want to do it and how much "spare money" you have laying around.

I would not do it since the 914 is an excellent car with a "modified four" in it. I think you can get away with putting the 914 chassis, brakes, trans, etc in good shape. I would give serious consideration to retaining what you have and improving it.

Some of the costs relate to 914-6 oil tank ($600-$1,200, console ($100), dip stick ($25-35), oil lines ($275-$350), etc totaling somewhere around $900-$1,685 for rough approximation.

You will also need shift linkage modified ($100-$150), front mount ($250-$400), throttle plate modification and cable kit ($250-$400), oil cooler modified to 90degrees ($100-$250), carbs and support pieces ($1,000-$1,600), carb rebuilding, etc totaling somewhere around $1,600- $2,600.

$500 for a 2.7 is a good price IF AND ONLY IF you do three things: compression check, leakdown check, and check for broken /head bolts. Get as much history on the engine as possible and do the above. If you have to overhaul, the costs for all the engines no matter what model is going to cost you over $4000 if you do it yourself. Whole different ballgame.

Header and exhaust system are required. 914-6 exhaust system costs something north of $1,400 for used; header system without muffler goes $400-$600, mufflers $200-$500.

These costs may be wrong but I think they give you an idea of what ;you may be facing.
There will be other incidental costs so expect them.

The transmission may have to be match the engine you choose to put into your car; any gears are starting to get scare; this may mean rebuilding the transaxle.

How do I know??? I have made a lot of mistakes in building both my V-8 914 and 3.2 914. Please plan in detail and think about every step to the point where you understand them in each part as well as the total car build. It is going to take more time than you originally planned. Each of my projects were to be two years but the V-8 took 2.5 years and the 3.2 914 is going on over five years.

The above information is not met to insult you but is provided only as an indication of some of the costs, problems, time, etc. in doing your project.

If you do decide to go with the Sixer build, there are many threads on this board, Pelican board, and people who will and can assist you. There have been many Sixers built and still being enjoyed today.

Best wishes.

Steve Hurt
carr914
agree.gif with what Steve said, except

$500 is a good deal for a 2.7 - you could get $100 for the DIS & then your down to $400 - you can always resell later & get your money back
GeorgeRud
I'd agree that you do have to look carefully at all the costs involved, but the final project is a lot of fun. I did mine years ago, and had great fun doing the conversion. You will need a conversion flywheel as well if you use the 914 transmission.

I'd also agree that the price of the engine is a great deal. If you do decide to go through with the project, PM me as I do have some parts that may be of use to you if you decide to proceed with the project.
Woody
Thanks guys. I am fully capable of doing a rebuild myself and intend to further down the road. I am thinking do the conversion with the CIS and once my wallet recovers maybe do an RS spec rebuild. I am aware of the costs but was planning on doing a 4-5 grand freshening on the /4 this winter. Ill probably end up buying the damn thing and sit on it for a few months while I source parts for the conversion. beerchug.gif
racerbvd
At $500, it is a good learning engine to start on.. I tell guys who are mechanics, but never done a Porsche engine, to find & old core to get an idea before they go tearing into a 3.2. That way, when everything comes out fine, you can either use it in another project or sell it & make some funds up for the next build.
rfuerst911sc
For $500.00 it's worth it just to make a table out of ! You really can't get hurt for that price and a larger six ( 2.4 + ) is a lot of fun in these cars.
J P Stein
I've sold std/std cranks with rods for 450....and that was a few years back.
The later (76 up)case & oil pump are the good ones.
What I'm trying to say is you prolly won't loose money on it & maybe make some.
Twise
Grab it - That is a steal.

Oh yea, sixes are better than fours...

I couldn't help myself...
Dr Evil
Do it! I got a free one and can tell you where to get stuff for a deal. I did not spend more than $3K for the whole deal with parts.
Woody
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jul 25 2011, 12:07 PM) *

At $500, it is a good learning engine to start on.. I tell guys who are mechanics, but never done a Porsche engine, to find & old core to get an idea before they go tearing into a 3.2. That way, when everything comes out fine, you can either use it in another project or sell it & make some funds up for the next build.

I've rebuilt plenty of waterpumpers and a handful of 993 motors so this isn't my first rodeo. I am less familiar with the older engines though. Just had plans to build the 2056 into something crazier until this popped up. Ill probably pick it up this week. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.