Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chalon Progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Here it is, the car is ready for the engine, which is only lacking the fan belts. I am off to the FLAPS to get me some belts. I should have it in at least today. This is for everyone who thinks I am not doing anything on my car and it will never be running. Next week guys, once the exhaust is done, its going to run. Before the 4th. bwahahahah.
Jeff Bonanno
stud.
neo914-6
Scott,
Can you photo document and detail your install for us? I plan to remove my motor and haven't done it in many years.
Thanks,
Felix
skline
I did have a little help, one of the wrench turning gearheads from the board came to assist me. You should all be so lucky.

"I think everything under here is tight now"
Andyrew
All right Scott!!!! Glad to hear your making progress! Keep us updated, and post pics of the install so I know what im going to run against!

Lookin good!

Andrew
neo914-6
With that kind of help I can't understand why your car isn't done yet!
Felix
skline
Well, we do take occasional breaks here and there. biggrin.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Brad Roberts
Lookin good Scott. Your helper is looking good also... clap56.gif I didnt know she helped you turn wrenches also. I have to stop and think about how blessed I am to have multiple young ladies in this area willing to work on 914's with us. I can always gather 8-10 GUYS to help out.. but when the ladies show up and dive into the project.. the 914 world stops turning for a second.

B
Andyrew
2 noses, a trani, spare wheels, a wife that wrenches... Geez man, You loaded!!!

wink.gif

Andrew
Alison Baker
Lisa , here I thought I was the only one that went under an engine....Good to see it beer3.gif
skline
Ok, Its ready to go in. The engine is together and bolted to the trans with the starter and its ready to go into the car. Here is a pic Lisa just had to take. It's about 6:30, I think there is enough light left out to put it in but I still need to remove the rear trunk springs and I think I need to cut the rear panel to clear the distributor. I will find out shortly, I am going to try it.
neo914-6
Scott,
Beautiful engine, what are the specs? Did you build it?
BTW, you may want to get a remote oil filter kit as the shift bar may keep you from removing it. idea.gif
Take video of the first start, it's mandatory!
Felix
Andyrew
Gawd, thats nice!!
skline
QUOTE(Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Jun 27 2004, 06:40 PM)
Scott,
Beautiful engine, what are the specs?  Did you build it?
BTW, you may want to get a remote oil filter kit as the shift bar may keep you from removing it. idea.gif
Take video of the first start, it's mandatory!
Felix

Great, where do I find one of those at? The specs are Rod Simpsons, RSH2 cam and lifters, 12:1 pistons, 55CC chambered heads, it should run ok. We will see here pretty soon. I am having to quit for the day now, there was some little crap I had to finsih up before I could install the motor. CV joints and stuff. Here is me under the car finishing up the CV's. Lisa is camera happy. I have to work very early tomorrow so I need to clean up and eat and get to bed soon. I will get it all together this week as long as nothing comes up to hold me up.
Aaron Cox
way to go scott... lookin good wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
N-frickin-ice! smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Nice work Mr. and Mrs. K!
shoguneagle
Scott,

Looks excellent. Great job. The tach has been pulled but not sent to you yet. I move a little slow these days. Keep going.

Steve Hurt
Mrs. K
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the nice words about ladies "wrenching"! driving-girl.gif I think it is very interesting and fun. My occupation is technical too (Cardiac Cath Lab-X-ray Tech, scrub assist)
so tools and technical things are not that big of a stretch from what I do. Plus having someone who is such a good teacher as Scoot, really helps! smash.gif

It's fun to help trouble shoot things, and I have acually come up with some good ideas all by myself! Hehehehe! biggrin.gif

Have a great week!
Lisa welder.gif
Mike T
That's fast work. clap56.gif When did you start turning wrenches?

Mike T
rick 918-S
That's the way to get things done! Tag team that rascal! aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif Don't forget to give Lisa the wheel when that bad boy is done. clap56.gif
skline
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jun 28 2004, 08:02 AM)
That's the way to get things done! Tag team that rascal! aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif Don't forget to give Lisa the wheel when that bad boy is done. clap56.gif

Good idea, I installed a new steering wheel in the car and was wondering what to do with the old one, thanks Rich for the great idea. biggrin.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE(skline @ Jun 28 2004, 07:25 AM)
That's the way to get things done! Tag team that rascal!  aktion035.gif  driving-girl.gif Don't forget to give Lisa the wheel when that bad boy is done.  clap56.gif

Good idea, I installed a new steering wheel in the car and was wondering what to do with the old one, thanks Rich for the great idea. biggrin.gif

Uhhh...... Don't think that is what Rich meant, silly! chair.gif
If you want any more help from me, I suggest you take Rich's advice! biggrin.gif

Lisa welder.gif
Jeroen
Great progress and cool pics!
Chicks with tools are hot wub.gif but I fear you're gonna get bitch-slapped around the shop a couple of times for you last comment biggrin.gif

Keep us posted!

cheers,

Jeroen
Christie
Somehow Jeroen always forgets to mention that the 914 is actually MY car...
He's only allowed to work on it biggrin.gif

Bye...

Christie
Jeroen
Ok... I'm going to the garage now to get some work done
slap.gif

Catch you guys later (when the wife's not around) biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Howard
Glad to hear the problem is international. Been married 37 years and haven't won one yet.
John2kx
Scott,

From what I see in the pics, it looks like that forward oil addition pipe is stricking up way too high to fit without cutting bulkhead. I would guess that at least 3" would need to be cut off to prevent interferance. Maybe pull it and seal with plug would be a better option??

Your oil filter looks like the one I first tried and it was too tall as already mentioned. You can install shift rod with what you have but removing oil filter will just about require removal of shift rod to perform. A shorter filter (Purolator L20049) works just fine.

You will have to cut rear trunk bulkhead with the distributor your using and I recommend doing it prior to raising engine into place. I just measured mine and came up with these measurements:

Measuring from passenger side fender to trunk seam, 26" from this seam toward center of trunk is center of distributor. NOTE: do not measure from drivers side since chevy distributor is off center as installed on engine.

Now that you have center location of dist., make cutout about 5 1/2" wide. Measuring from top of bulkhead, make cut about 5" long (just past trunk torsion springs). You'll have to leave dist. cap off (or positioned in front of dist.) if torsion springs are in place during engine install/removal.

I would post a pic for clarity but I'm on a borrowed computer as mine is in shop for repair.

Good luck!!!! Your almost there.

John
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mrs. K @ Jun 28 2004, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE(skline @ Jun 28 2004, 07:25 AM)
That's the way to get things done! Tag team that rascal!  aktion035.gif  driving-girl.gif Don't forget to give Lisa the wheel when that bad boy is done.  clap56.gif

Uhhh...... Don't think that is what Rich meant, silly! chair.gif
If you want any more help from me, I suggest you take Rich's advice! biggrin.gif

Lisa welder.gif

oops, I think I started something..... happy11.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Christie @ Jun 28 2004, 12:56 PM)
Somehow Jeroen always forgets to mention that the 914 is actually MY car...
He's only allowed to work on it biggrin.gif

Bye...

Christie

oops, think I did it again..... confused24.gif Christie, You shou.d come to the WCC next year. happy11.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE(Mike T @ Jun 28 2004, 06:09 AM)
That's fast work.   clap56.gif    When did you start turning wrenches?

Mike T

Hey Mike,

I actually work in a quite technical field, and really have always just been too impatient to wait for a "Man" to fix things for me (ever since I was a kid!). rolleyes.gif

I started learning about cars back in the late '70's when I bought my first car....a '66 stock VW bug! I loved that car and had some guy friends who used to work on it for me, and I would sit and watch and ask "what's that, were does that go, why, etc." biggrin.gif

That knowledge served me well when it would sometimes break down with just simple things like the coil wire came off, but "I knew what it was", and could fix it!

Most girls I know don't even have any idea where the f-ing dip stick is! ohmy.gif

Anyway, I am having so much fun learning about 914's and helping Scott!
He is a great teacher and trusts me to do things on his "baby"! wub.gif Gotta love that!

Cheers!

Lisa beer.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(Mrs. K @ Jun 29 2004, 05:25 AM)
Most girls I know don't even have any idea where the f-ing dip stick is! ohmy.gif

Most of the GUYS I know can't find the f-ing dipstick headbang.gif
Me, I only have half a clue, so I guess that's even more dangerous biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Toast
Scott, Glad to see you finally got some motivation to finish the Chalon (Lisa). What has it been, a year now. wink.gif

Hey Lisa,
I learned the majority of my mechanical skills by owning 2 VW bugs for 8 years. I acutally was working on Buicks, Fords, and Chevy's before then, since my family seems to have a cure with vehicles. But owning a VW, you learn real fast how to fix problems......All kinds of problems. wacko.gif Another cool thing is that you learn what different sounds of failing parts means, and how to hook up a tow dolly quickly. huh.gif
skline
Actually, In october it will be here at my house for 2 years. The only difference is now it will be running. The car has not been driven since probably 92. That is the last time it was registered. I want to take it over to the muffler shop tomorrow so I can fire it up this weekend. Had a small problem with the brakes so I am going back to the first ones I was going to use.
Andyrew
2 pot what 911 c2 or such calipers? What brakes where you going to use?

Thats alot of caliper!
(reminds me I need to order some good pads, and heck, rebuild my rear calipers...)

Keep up the progress!

Im busy workin on my flares, but I wont be working on them forever wink.gif.

Andrew
DrifterJay
kewl... wub.gif
skline
Those are the Volvo DL calipers for vented rotors. They are 4 piston and cover a lot of rotor. Should stop me ok for now.
skline
Here they are in all thier glory.
Andyrew
I knew they didnt look like porsche calipers (why I said C2's.. cus I've never seen what the c2's looked like biggrin.gif )

Cool (heavy huh?)
Mueller
cus I've never seen what the c2's looked like

look at your dads 951...more or less the same calipers as on my C2
John2kx
Did you get the engine stuffed in there? Any issues with the areas of concern I pointed out?

John
Mrs. K
Nice photos! clap56.gif

Lisa cool_shades.gif
skline
I have not stuffed it in just yet, a fast car is only as good as its brakes I was always told so I was trying to resolve the other issues with everything else first. The engine is ready to go in, I just need to cut that little section out you mentioned before to clear the distributor and then get the car up about 8 more inches and slide it underneath. Then I assume I just lower the car down on top of it and then lift it with the cherry picker into place. Is this right? Or is there another way to do it? Let me know as I am going to try to do it tomorrow or Friday. I have to work on Thursday up in LA so I cant do it then. Tomorrow night I am taking my son to a Dodger game so I can only work on it till around 2. So it will most likely be on Friday and then it goes to the muffler shop. Which means I will be firing it up this weekend. Film at 11. Yes, I will be filming it when I fire it up the first time so you all can hear it either blow up, or run like I am hoping it does. So keep watching this thread, you may get to see me crash and burn. I have faith though that I did everything right, I had some good help and advice from many club members so this is kind of a joint project here.

And in case I never told anyone this, Thank you to everyone who has contributed to my goal to build this car the way I want. I dont know if I could have done it without all of your help and advice and even some contributions from some of the members here.
Mrs. K
Scott,
I am so happy for you that this is finally coming together! biggrin.gif
Good thing you have had a "slave driver" to keep you on track these past few days! slap.gif
I am sure that the engine will fire up perfectly and purr like a very large kitten!!!! w00t.gif

Great job!

Lisa driving-girl.gif
PS Thanks for letting me be a part of it! wub.gif
Aaron Cox
scott. those are the volvo 4 pot 240 calipers? do they mount on a 3.5 or 3" strut?

i have a volvo 240 parts car
skline
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jun 29 2004, 08:21 PM)
scott. those are the volvo 4 pot 240 calipers? do they mount on a 3.5 or 3" strut?

i have a volvo 240 parts car

They are the 240DL calipers, they have a 3 inch spacing and bolt right up, well sorta, you need to put a washer inbetween to space them out about 1/8 inch. Works perfect.
skline
QUOTE(Mrs. K @ Jun 29 2004, 08:19 PM)
Scott,
I am so happy for you that this is finally coming together!  :D
Good thing you have had a "slave driver" to keep you on track these past few days!  :stooges:
I am sure that the engine will fire up perfectly and purr like a very large kitten!!!! w00t.gif

Great job!

Lisa   driving-girl.gif
PS Thanks for letting me be a part of it! wub.gif

Lisa, it was my pleasure to have you here to assist me and push me. I dont think it would have been the same or done in time. I am just sorry you wont be here for the initial firing. You will be the first one to go for a ride in it, I will not be registering it till next week at the earliest so it wont be driving till you return from your vacation. Enjoy your trip. Tell the family hi for me. biggrin.gif MDB2.gif
John2kx
Scott,

I install/remove engine without cherry picker. You'll have to shed those mounting tabs you have installed that look like they are attached to head as it will be nearly impossible to remove those mounted forward when engine is in place. The cherry picker method works best with adaptor bolted in place of carb. used to lift drivetrain with.

My method is the same described on the Bird site where you raise car in rear, slide into place with furniture dolly and then lower car into place. Furniture dolly allows you to roll into exact location necessary to get motor mount bolts/transaxle mounts secured. This is allot easier with the V8 since your not fighting the cooling tin interferances. Note: rear tires need to be removed to allow car to be lowered enough to get bolts started. You'll also want to block front tires to ensure car does not roll with rear end at angle necessary to roll V8 under it. From memory, I believe I lifted mine 34" (ground to valance) with a completely assembled engine using the same dolly you have.

I've been under some 914s with cherry pickers attached to engine and it is quite difficult to get around on your back with the legs of picker everywhere you want to be.

What are you going to do about that forward mounted oil fill on intake?

I'd also do all the wiring I could while engine is out of car (alternator, starter, ignition system, choke, oil/water senders). Objective here is to attach to all locations on engine and bundle to a single connection point that can easily be attached to stock connector location or whatever your using to make up this connection. This makes future engine removal/install really simple.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.