Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973, Best 914 Year?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I have heard that 1973 is the best year for the 914 because smog crap was added to later year models.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Terry
914itis
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 25 2011, 08:32 AM) *

I have heard that 1973 is the best year for the 914 because smog crap was added to later year models.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Terry

I am not sure about best model year, but I think 74 is the most desirable year.
AZ914
Yeah, regarding the 4 cyl cars, I think 73-74 2.0 are the most sought after. They have the 2.0 before the smog stuff, still have the lighter bumpers, have some improvements over the early cars (movable passenger seat, reinforced doors, etc).

But if you are shopping for one, just find the best car out there.
dlestep
...in the most part, 1973 and 1974 models are the same...

EXCEPT what was standard on the 1973 was optional on the 1974 years...
my 1973 came standard with anti-sway bars front and rear, appearance group, etc. The only thing that I did was redirect the wiring in the main headlight switch for the fog lamps to operate with low beams.
The 1974 model came without front or rear anti-sway bars, the mounting holes were not even present in the car. The fog lamps have a separate switch. I personally like the blacked out centers to the gages. The 1974 has a console, which I am still deliberating over. It looks cool, but I am worried about the interference with my leg when heel-toeing. I usually dance on the pedals when pressing the envelope.
I am purposely going after a certain feel with the 1974, enhancing the experiences I had with the '73; leaving a little age, here and there; upgrading the suspension, and thoroughly going through all the mechanicals and adding a few things of myself.
I know that with all of the changes, I will have to learn how to drive the 914, all over again, which will be fun.
I guess that's a long way to say, I am leaning toward the '74 model...simply because that's what I have now.
Mike Bellis
73 is the best because I own one biggrin.gif
reharvey
73 is the best year for the four cyl. cars. The 2.0 cars have all the best options included. In 74 they started to cheapen things up -like using plastic instead of metal in many of the trim parts and making almost every item optional. That said-if you're going to buy one go for the car with the least amount of rust and make it into whatever you want. Ray
Twise
You say "cheapen things up", I say "Lighten Things Up"...

I have a 74 and it came with all the options. It was a very clean car. Now it is a super clean car. To go from very to super is not as expensive as going from okay to super...

If I was choosing between a 73 or a 74 I would be looking for rust and prior damage. Consoles and sway bars would be so far down the list....
Dave_Darling
The best year 914 is the one you can find with the least rust.

--DD
URY914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 25 2011, 08:18 AM) *

73 is the best because I own one biggrin.gif

Me 2! beerchug.gif
914Mels
'73 and earlier rust free in California to avoid the smog checks.
Dave_Darling
It's 75 and earlier to avoid CA smog checks. biggrin.gif

--DD
markb
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 25 2011, 11:05 AM) *

The best year 914 is the one you can find with the least rust.

--DD

agree.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Mels @ Jul 25 2011, 02:16 PM) *

'73 and earlier rust free in California to avoid the smog checks.

.... well yes & no ......
Actually it's 75 & earlier to be exempt in CA.

1972 is best for the 1.7 because the 73 1.7 was drastically detuned for smog - especially the CA 1.7s at just 69 hp! See the engine data at the 914 info at the top of the page.

For the 2.0s 73-74 had the best power out of the GA engine, and the 75-76 GC engine was not much more than the 70-72 1.7s turned out (again - see that data chart). However, in most cases the 73 2.0 will have all the Appearance & Performance Group Options on them, while the later 73 MY & 74 MY had more of a grab bag since everything was an extra cost option, as noted by others above.
Drums66
.....With a few sutle mod's .......my choice is 75' shades.gif
bye1.gif (more correction's over the earlier cars)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.