Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autopsy part 1..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
So I had a chance to drain the oil yesterday and it looked good till I got to the bottom of the drain pan where I found a couple of small shards of non metallic material that looks suspiciously like bearing bits. Not a lot, but enough to use as evidence. The engine really did not run very long after hearing that sweet banging noise. I did start it for a very brief time twice after that, (no more , Andy) and it would fire right up.

So my question is, what might be the results of a spun bearing? If the bearing is toast, what would create that sound?

Is head damage a possibility or likely?

I can't get to removing the engine for a while, just hoping to know what to expect, maybe.

Thanks,

Joe
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(porscheless @ Jul 25 2011, 12:52 PM) *

...I found a couple of small shards of non metallic material that looks suspiciously like bearing bits.
Did you mean 'nonferrous/ ? 'cause bearings are metal... Grey, like mains? or copper/bronze - possibly with lumps of shiny solder-looking metal - this is more like rods...
So my question is, what might be the results of a spun bearing?
Is head damage a possibility or likely?

Be nice to know if it's a rod bearing (more likely) or a main.
If it's a rod, chances are what you were hearing was the piston smacking the head. Could damage the head, the piston, the piston pin, and/or the connecting rod, in addition to the crank. For sure you need a good ultrasonic cleaning on the oil cooler.
First thing I'd want to do is cut open the oil filter.
Summit sells a nice tool for this, not expensive at maybe $30.
(I also have a beautiful anodised aluminum one I think I bought from Pegasus for twice that, and while it looks cool hanging on the pegboard, I never use it because it can't cut through the filters I use. The cheap but ugly Summit tool actually gets used...)

I presume you've checked the valve adjustments and eliminated dropped valve seat as a possibility...

What to expect - crank polish minimum. New rod and main bearings. ultrasonic oil cooler cleaning. Valve job - expect head work if it's a 2,0. Past that it's all just guesswork until you can inspect the actual parts...
VaccaRabite
If you spun the bearing you will need to tear down the engine.

Crank will need to be inspected and probably polished. Case will need to be inspected and maybe line bored.

But, bearings are metal...

What do you mean when you say that the stuff you found in the oil was non-metallic? Plastic? Or just not steel? There is not much in an engine that is not metal.
ChrisFoley

So I had a chance to drain the oil yesterday ...

Did you remove the sump plate and strainer screen?
Porschef
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 25 2011, 02:04 PM) *

So I had a chance to drain the oil yesterday ...

Did you remove the sump plate and strainer screen?

Chris, Rich, and Zach,

Ok, I wasn't very clear- I did mean to say non ferrous. I did remove the sump plate and screen, and there were a couple of pieces in there. Not a lot, just a couple. I haven't removed the filter yet....

Joe
Valy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ChrisFoley
Here ya go. Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entyNhMJuGw
TheCabinetmaker
Have you popped the valve covers and inspected the rockers , springs, and valve stems?
Porschef
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 25 2011, 07:27 PM) *

Have you popped the valve covers and inspected the rockers , springs, and valve stems?

No, I can't get to it for a few days, at least.

I'm not expecting anyone to be Kreskin the High and Mighty Exalted Mystical Motor Guru,but hey, you never know (gotta ask..)

Then there's always Cap'n Crabcakes....

Joe poke.gif
cwpeden
Nonferrous for sure? Sounds like mine when it detonated a cam follower. When you take off the valve covers and check valve clearance it will be clear. When mine let go it took the cam with it.

Good luck,
Conrad
Porschef
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jul 25 2011, 08:49 PM) *

Nonferrous for sure? Sounds like mine when it detonated a cam follower. When you take off the valve covers and check valve clearance it will be clear. When mine let go it took the cam with it.

Good luck,
Conrad

Ooof. barf.gif

Well, I gotta do more research and study. As much as I want mas cajones out of the type IV, a 2056 w/ stock djet seems to make the most sense for me.

Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.