Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targe bar pad removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesM
I am removing the targa bad pad from one of my cars and i don't remember it being such a pain on some of the other ones i have done, feels like it might have been glued on from the underside. Is there a screw or something else i missing here? I have removed all the screws along the front and underside as well as the plates that go over the latches but this thing still does not want to budge.

Any ideas before i take to it with brute force?
pcar916
I just went through this last week to install a Lexan rear window and it was harder than it should have been. There were three screws that were nearly impossible to find because a PO had put in additional screws on top of them... so I only thought I removed them. Use a really good phillips-head screwdriver. If the heads get stripped they're not fun to get to. Also, before you re-attach the pad make sure you peen the screw holes so they still hold with the standard screws. You don't want to find out you'll have to use oversized ones while you're installing it.

Honestly, I don't know what the person responsible was thinking. He also left off the clips that hold on the hooks so that the pad was retaining it. Naturally they fell apart when I got the pad off.

Just keep on looking for screws you've missed. It pulls off just fine unless someone used silicon along the top edge of the rear glass and accidentally "glued" the rear of the pad to the glass.

Good luck
windforfun
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
JamesM
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 25 2011, 01:55 PM) *

I just went through this last week to install a Lexan rear window and it was harder than it should have been. There were three screws that were nearly impossible to find because a PO had put in additional screws on top of them... so I only thought I removed them. Use a really good phillips-head screwdriver. If the heads get stripped they're not fun to get to. Also, before you re-attach the pad make sure you peen the screw holes so they still hold with the standard screws. You don't want to find out you'll have to use oversized ones while you're installing it.

Honestly, I don't know what the person responsible was thinking. He also left off the clips that hold on the hooks so that the pad was retaining it. Naturally they fell apart when I got the pad off.

Just keep on looking for screws you've missed. It pulls off just fine unless someone used silicon along the top edge of the rear glass and accidentally "glued" the rear of the pad to the glass.

Good luck

I am thinking it might have been glued, either on purpose or accident. the window does have quite a bit of whatever goop was used to seal it squeezing out at the bottom so i can imagine the top side is not much better.most of the screws on the bottom side were already missing, i can look up in the holes and see they are not there. Feels like it is most stuck in the center on the underside near the window and i can't imagine what else could be holding it.

I have made attempts already on 3 different days to get this thing off, i think the next attempt might end with sawzall-smiley.gif

I hate to destroy it but think i have a spare somewhere
pcar916
I feel your pain. My window glass was flappin' in the breeze and very noisy. Plus the glass is going to a friend who's building a car for his nephew so it's going to a good home. Now I'm not a glass guy but I found it attached with odd stuff... odd to me that is.

It was installed with a very "regular" strip of rubber that had a cable going through it all the way around. Other than that it was unable to hold in the glass for more than 15 years, it looked like a good thing. The PO had used silicon on the top of the glass when it started to let go but it was "well done" on only about 10% of the edge and stayed well away from the pads.

I'd still look for a stray screw unless you've shoved a wire or probe into the targa bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.