Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Galley Plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
I've got my case apart and all machined for my rebuild and was going to pull/drill/tap/plug my oil galley plugs. But during the process of locating all the drills taps and so forth to do the job I realized I don't want to do it. So i drove down to my machinist to talk with him about it. He said he would do it, 2-3 hr labor charge,
or he suggested 3 spot welds around each plugs so they can't come out on their own, for $20.

Has anyone tried this? Any reason why it wouldn't work?

I understand using the threaded plugs you can take them out if you want to clean the oil passage ways, but does anybody really do that once the engines rebuilt and in the car.

My thinking is just to keep them from coming out on their own, if down the road I need one out for whatever reason it could still be drilled out.

Thanks for your time

Jeff
76-914
2-3hr's idea.gif Is he an octogenarian?
bam914
If you are doing all of the galley plugs I could see it taking close to that long.
Jake Raby
Part of the reason why the plugs are threaded is so they can be removed for cleaning later..

Welding them is not the best idea, and you'd know that if you ever pulled plugs and found the areas packed with debris waiting to dislodge and kill the engine.

All the plugs can be removed and threaded in the proper manner in less than 2 hours by someone that has a clue. Do it right.
JStroud
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 25 2011, 06:23 PM) *

Part of the reason why the plugs are threaded is so they can be removed for cleaning later..

Welding them is not the best idea, and you'd know that if you ever pulled plugs and found the areas packed with debris waiting to dislodge and kill the engine.

All the plugs can be removed and threaded in the proper manner in less than 2 hours by someone that has a clue. Do it right.

I was on the fence, thanks for your input, I was planning on doing all 11, if I'm doing one why not all, thats why he quoted me "around 2 hrs" , 2-3hrs was my wording.

Thanks for your time, guess I'll "do it right", why cheap out now.
Jake Raby
And heating the case during welding dislodges the nasty stuff thats hidden under the plugs. Only weld on a case when it cannot be avoided.
ConeDodger
Jeff,
I think I've seen McMark (Original Customs) do this in an hour or so...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.