Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello all. First time poster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R0ck5tar
I have a 914 and know nothing about it. So i thought this would be a great place to start. The VIN# is 4712915324. It hasn't been started in about 2 years and has a dead battery. I plan to get one this weekend. It was left to me by my father who never really drove it much just started it from time to time. I'm looking for any feed back on this car. I'm excited to drive it. Any info would be great. Tips for starting it , things to look for, common problems, battery choice... ?

Thanks in advance
914itis
welcome.png welcome.png

The experts are on their way.. type.gif type.gif
markb
welcome.png

Be very careful, they're an addiction, and there is no cure.

Oh, and thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Socalandy
welcome.png

buy two so you have extra parts
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 25 2011, 09:23 PM) *

welcome.png

Be very careful, they're an addiction, and there is no cure.

Oh, and thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

What he said. Also, if it has been sitting long make sure you check out the brakes before trying to move it. Might be a good idea to pull the gas tank and clean it, change fuel filter, do and oil change and check transaxle fluid right from the get go.

Shoe
AZ914
Welcome! Agree with everything above. Also check the fuel lines in the engine compartment and under the tank.. If there was gas in there, you should empty and steam-clean the tank.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Be prepared to rebuild the entire brake system. The calipers tend to seize after they sit too long. Check for serios chassis rust around the battery.

and Oh: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Tom_T
agree.gif ... and check all the rubber fuel & vacuum lines first as well.

We need pix! biggrin.gif

welcome.png
TargaToy
Welcome. Read LOTS AND LOTS. Feel free to ask questions.

And post those pix as soon as you can! biggrin.gif
Mr.242
I give him a week before the car is on jackstands....

Welcome beerchug.gif to your own HELL and HEAVEN.

campbellcj
Welcome and congrats!

Hopefully the car was stored inside? Many folks use the Optima batteries for street cars. They're expensive, but last a long time and rarely if ever leak (they're sealed).
matteyp
Be afraid...be verry afraid....
carr914
welcome.png
SUNAB914
Sounds like a new restoration project coming up!
rnellums
I'm just two hours south of you in Lafayette, IN. I just replaced my pride and joy that got totaled woith a car that has been sitting for a while so I imagine I'll be going through the same steps you will be. I am about to start parting out my car that got totaled, so if there is a part you need I will probably have it.

oh, and post some pictures!
mojorisen914
welcome.png

BTW, did anyone mention thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
PanelBilly
Check your wallet.
zymurgist
welcome.png from the tail dragger contingent
mburkhart
Welcome! There's a quite a few of us in the Chicago area. If you're interested in meeting some other owners, Garold (Shaffer) is hosting a get-together at the end of August just over the border in Portage, Indiana.

And post some photos before the mob gets too unruly...
Drums66
.....Welcome to the world.....What up? aktion035.gif
bye1.gif shades.gif flag.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 26 2011, 09:23 AM) *

I'm just two hours south of you in Lafayette, IN. I just replaced my pride and joy that got totaled woith a car that has been sitting for a while so I imagine I'll be going through the same steps you will be. I am about to start parting out my car that got totaled, so if there is a part you need I will probably have it.

oh, and post some pictures! I live in Terre Haute, do u have a 914 mach in your neck of the woods? Bob

rnellums
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Jul 28 2011, 03:54 AM) *

oh, and post some pictures! I live in Terre Haute, do u have a 914 mach in your neck of the woods? Bob

A 914 Mach? I'm not sure what that is. Mine was totaled, but I've gotten another now. Just need to replace some choice items.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 28 2011, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Jul 28 2011, 03:54 AM) *

A 914 Mach? I'm not sure what that is. Mine was totaled, but I've gotten another now. Just need to replace some choice items.

914 mach= guy/s that works on 914 Bob
rnellums
Got ya. I just moved here about a month ago, so none that I know of. I do all my work myself though. I was planning on making a trip out to 914LTD for my 4 wheel alignment though when I get around to that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.