Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New valve spring suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I need to replace the springs on my 4cyl-2.2L motor.

I don't need anything exotic, IE dual spring. But the cam makes most of of it's power between 2800--> 6500 RPM and any springs should be rated to withstand 6500 RPM. I don't plan on running the motor higher than that and my rev limiter is also set for 6500.

I've had pretty bad luck with the motor so far and would like to put a quality set of springs in rather then taking my chances with any "brand X" springs. I only plan to run the motor until October this year before I start my 6 conversion. Otherwise I would probably go for a dual spring setup.

There is a So Cal Imports, and the VW/Porsche dealership but that's about it for any specialized parts places.

Thanks!
stugray
check Jake Raby @:

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/

Stu
yeahmag
I'm not aware of any single spring setup that will hold a performance cam to 6500 RPM. Mine are from Jake and are good to just shy of 6200RPM with one of his cams. My rev limiter has to be set at 6000RPM or I float...
Randal
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 26 2011, 11:33 PM) *

I'm not aware of any single spring setup that will hold a performance cam to 6500 RPM. Mine are from Jake and are good to just shy of 6200RPM with one of his cams. My rev limiter has to be set at 6000RPM or I float...

Amen to that.

Len Hoffman converted my (Hoffman) heads to dual springs that I assume he sourced with Jake. With the dual springs the motor revs to 7K without any issues.

Haven't tested the motor beyond that, as the motor was already rolling over.

Jake Raby
We do not have a SINGLE H/D spring thats good past 6,250 RPM. Above that we use dual springs.

You need enough spring to control the valves 500RPM beyond where you intend to rev the engine, because valve loft begins before valve float and can greatly diminish cam, lifter and overall valve train life. Loft is silent, you never know its happening.
-JR-
Ordered a set of 130 pound springs from FAT this afternoon.

Should do the trick!

Thanks Jake for your feed back too.
-JR-
Worked two nights this long weekend until 1:00am but got the car all apart and back together again. Should be all set for the next Porsche Club event driving.gif *Crossing fingers*

Only installation issue was compressing the springs. The FAT springs were 30% longer than the stock springs and the rocker bar spring compressor I had didn't fit over the spring without a lot of persuasion. My "G" clamp compressor wouldn't work on TYPE IV heads due to the walls of the head being so close to the valve spring.

Had a hard time finding cylinder head gaskets for 104.5mm cylinder mating ring. They seem to be pricey at $80 each if you can find them.

If it's conducive with forum rules...
I'd like to thank Greg at FAT Performance for getting my parts shipped out !FAST! to make my weekend schedule work. They had all the parts I needed in stock ready to ship.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.