Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911s Koni Struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pjhaun
I bought a pair of front 911s Koni Struts to upgrade my brakes. I want to chage out the shocks, which are bad.

How in the heck do you get the shock out? I thought they were like the 914 struts, you just unscrew the top outer ring.

I have tried everything to break the outer ring loose on the Koni struts. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank You!!!!!
thesey914
If they are like my Koni shocks then they do not have replaceable inserts. The shock is also the strut.

Do they look like this?
pjhaun
So What do you if the shock goes bad?

Thank You!!!!
Mueller
send them to Koni or an authorized rebuilder.....

KONI
airsix
Note that not all the 911 Koni struts are like this. I have a pair on my car that take both OEM and the new generation of red/yellow inserts (If you have the right gland nut). I mention this just as an FYI to anyone who's shopping for 5-lug struts.

-Ben M.
neo914-6
Phillip,
Mine are early 911S struts and have replaceble Koni adjustable inserts. I bought an adapter kit for hydropneumatic? inserts from Automotion back in the day along with the Koni inserts. There was more work that Brad did to secure or shim them. I'm sure this is documented somewhere, did you search the archives?
Felix
pjhaun
QUOTE(airsix @ Jun 28 2004, 02:19 PM)
Note that not all the 911 Koni struts are like this. I have a pair on my car that take both OEM and the new generation of red/yellow inserts (If you have the right gland nut). I mention this just as an FYI to anyone who's shopping for 5-lug struts.

-Ben M.

What year struts do you have? Or What year 911 have that type?

Thank You!!!
RAR
Are there any notches on the top ring/cap (is there a top cap?)?
pjhaun
QUOTE(RAR @ Jun 28 2004, 07:24 PM)
Are there any notches on the top ring/cap (is there a top cap?)?

There is a threaded top center cap that I took out, but the shock does not come out.

Thank You!!!!
Eddie Williams
I have a set of the early Koni S struts as well. Call Jason at Paragon Products he has all the answers when in comes to Konis.
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(pjhaun @ Jun 28 2004, 10:02 PM)
the shock does not come out.

get a bigger hammer!
RAR
I have a set of '74 911s Konis that accept a dry (sealed) insert that is held in place by the threaded cap. It's been a long while since I took out the original insides, but as I recall they were a wet insert surrounded by oil. Without seeing your inserts it's hard to say, but I'm guessing the "guts" come out with a little difficulty and you can use a dry insert. Without seeing them though...
pjhaun
QUOTE(RAR @ Jun 28 2004, 10:36 PM)
I have a set of '74 911s Konis that accept a dry (sealed) insert that is held in place by the threaded cap. It's been a long while since I took out the original insides, but as I recall they were a wet insert surrounded by oil. Without seeing your inserts it's hard to say, but I'm guessing the "guts" come out with a little difficulty and you can use a dry insert. Without seeing them though...

Here is a pictures of the top.

Thank You!!!
airsix
QUOTE(pjhaun @ Jun 28 2004, 03:14 PM)
What year struts do you have? Or What year 911 have that type?

Thank You!!!

Mine were off an SC. From your picture it looks like yours have replaceable incerts too. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

-Ben M.
RAR
Mine are similar to that, but the center hole is smaller and not threaded. The threads are inside the tube edge and the ring at the top (like yours but as above) has two holes in it (like yours?, hard to tell) that use a two pin wrench to loosen it. Some use a pipe wrench very gingerly. Does it look like the ring in the picture is threaded at the outer perimeter? One of the guys on the 911 forums is certain to recognize the strut in question.
Eric_Shea
Me agrees with Eddie. Pull harder... I've "never" seen a Koni strut that the inserts don't come out of. smash.gif
Eric_Shea
Your picture didn't load before I responded. Now that I've seen it it becomes more clear.

Here's the scoop:

The ring that is still there has two holes in it that are made for a special Koni wrench. Don't bother.

From the chew marks on the side I can see you attempted (or someone did) a removal. This is where you need a bigger wrench. A good sized pipe wrench should do the trick and it really won't mar it up anymore than it is already. In fact, if it comes of any harder get a MAP torch or a simple propane torch and heat the threaded area that is binding that collar (heat about 1/4" around the base of that collar). blowtorch.gif

Are you sure the struts are bad? They are adjustable... maybe they're on the weakest setting.

Anyhoooo... that should do the trick.
Eric_Shea
Oh... the surrounded by oil theory is actually "anti-freeze". The instructions that come with your new struts will show you how much to add. Something like 50cc. Those struts are awesome. Once you get some new inserts, you'll be groove'n.
fly
Or, you could purchase my set of four billstiens with 100 miles on them,
then I can buy a new set of adjustable konis
happy11.gif
RAR
Actually the wet insert I was referring to was actually shock oil you added to new inserts that were not sealed. I did this once on a Honda that I had put Konis on. I'm not certain they offer such kits anymore, and that's fine if they don't as they were messy. The new sealed inserts are much better. I've heard of the anti-freeze thing to better transfer heat from the shock, but I'm not certain it's recommended or necessary for a street car.
You might want to oil up that top ring to loosen the threads before you try to turn it loose.
Eric_Shea
but I'm not certain it's recommended or necessary for a street car

The Lemming that I am, I just blindly followed the Koni printed instructions. They didn't mention the cars use... Don't know why it wouldn't be "recommended" for street use though? Do you think it would it hurt something? confused24.gif
RAR
If the manufacturer's nstruction said to do it, I'd do it. I'm a lemming too when i t comes to the manufacturer knowing what's best. The Bilsteins on my 911 don't use the anti-freeze technique. I'll have to look at the Koni instructions when I do the install.
Eric_Shea
The Bilsteins on my 911 don't use the anti-freeze technique.

Are they gas?
RAR
Yes, but they are a sealed insert unit, and as I recall they are greased. Are the Konis that recommend the anti-freeze, oil?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.