Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: W T F
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JMKnight
too freakin hard to get a pic uploaded here WTF.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I use photobucket. Just copy the image code, and paste into body of post.
benalishhero
It's simple once the pic is correctly re sized.
VaccaRabite
I know Andy has put a lot of effort into making the board easy to load images into but I still find it easier to go to a place like Flickr first and then copy the image location here.
Eric_Shea
It's simple once the pic is correctly re sized.

agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif Also. Resize your pics to 900x600 and they load right on.
TheCabinetmaker
Also, Photobucket and flickr let you post multiple photos in one post.
montoya 73 2.0
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
johannes
Its easy. The only limit is the weight of the file. The limit per post is 500 ko. You better resize your image smaller than 1000 pixel wide. It won't be shown larger that 1000 pixels anyway.

Here is the same picture uploaded with 1200 pixels and 1000 pixels. The 1200 pixels has now a grey border, is not displayed at full size and has a "click to enlarge" button. And yes, you can upload multiple pictures in one post if you don't exceed a total of 500 ko

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 27 2011, 10:29 AM) *

Width and height is less important than overall file size. It's usually the DPI (dots per inch) setting that makes a camera picture huge. The best DPI setting for web sites is 72.

Bottom-line, if you have ultra high quality images from a digital camera, you need to resize them.

You'll get the best results for the web if you resize them to:

Width: 1024
Height: 768
DPI: 72

and save them as a JPG file ...

bye1.gif Andy
JMKnight
not smart enough for this stuff, car's nothing special anyway, just a yellow 614-6
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 27 2011, 11:54 AM) *
The limit per post is 500 ko.

I need to update the FAQ. The limit has been bumped up to 3MB per post for quite some time now ... shades.gif
JMKnight
not even smart enough to get the number right. 914 not 616
QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jul 27 2011, 11:19 AM) *

not smart enough for this stuff, car's nothing special anyway, just a yellow 614-6

SirAndy
QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jul 27 2011, 12:19 PM) *

Just follow the instruction in this post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637

bye1.gif
wingnut86
...Geez.

That was easy guys. piratenanner.gif

WHOOPS! confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 27 2011, 12:20 PM) *

I need to update the FAQ. The limit has been bumped up to 3MB per post for quite some time now ... shades.gif

No its not. Its still 500kb.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 27 2011, 12:35 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 27 2011, 12:20 PM) *

No its not. Its still 500kb.

Hmmm, have you actually tried to add more? Maybe the text is just wrong. I just double checked the board setting, and it's actually set to 8MB, not 3MB.

confused24.gif
Andyrew
Yes, It wont let you do more than 500kb. I post multiple pics all the time smile.gif (progress threads)

Try posting 1 pic see if its different for the admins?

Also you mentioned that its for TOTAL post size, maybe that includes words? Because the verbage in the attachement says "attachment space" not "post space".

Maybe you have an option to change the "attachment space"?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 27 2011, 12:54 PM) *
Maybe you have an option to change the "attachment space"?

There is no such setting.

The only setting is:
Max. size of post (in kilobytes [kb]) = 8192

I need to debug this using a test account as admins don't have any size limit on posts at all ...

type.gif
URY914
QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jul 27 2011, 08:25 AM) *

Dude, I know what you mean. I need help too. stirthepot.gif type.gif confused24.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 27 2011, 01:35 PM) *

Dude, I know what you mean. I need help too. stirthepot.gif type.gif confused24.gif

I call BS on this biggrin.gif
Rand
No wonder Paul never uploads photos. laugh.gif
skaufmann
Here's a quick tip to resize your images in Windows.

Highlight the images you want to resize, right-click then select Send To, then Mail Recipient. Yes that's right, keep with me.

In the box that pops up, you have a dropdown list of options to resize you images to. Select Small and then Attach. The images will be resized and attached to an email. You can then highlight and Copy/Cut/Drag (however you prefer) the files wherever you want.

Use these newly resized photos to upload which will allow you to have quite a few in a single post.
skaufmann
Forgot to include images for the sake of those who like images in posts. wink.gif

Here are *resized* images of my 72 D-Jet Fuel Pump teardown (ifixit.com style)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jul 27 2011, 11:21 AM) *

not even smart enough to get the number right. 914 not 616
QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jul 27 2011, 11:19 AM) *

Sounds like a real POS, you should send it to me and I'll take/post some pictures idea.gif
pcar916
Ok, I haven't been able to get a 750MB image into a post even now.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
pcar916
Here are the two random images reduced in quality to fit in here.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

23k less than the 500MB limit. If the reduced size helps with hosting costs I'm good with it. GIMP works fast enough that it's not a big deal... and it's open source!

Good luck
benalishhero
www.picresize.com is easy to use.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 28 2011, 11:00 AM) *
Ok, I haven't been able to get a 750MB image into a post even now.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

I hope you meant 750KB, not MB ... biggrin.gif

I haven't had time to play with the settings yet. Maybe tonight ...
type.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 28 2011, 11:32 AM) *

I hope you meant 750KB, not MB ... biggrin.gif

Yep. Goodness, two posting errors in an hour... I've gotta get some sleep! piratenanner.gif
JMKnight
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 27 2011, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 27 2011, 01:35 PM) *

I call BS on this biggrin.gif

ok I'll send the pic to you and YOU can post it for me agree.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 27 2011, 01:17 PM) *

I need to debug this using a test account as admins don't have any size limit on posts at all ...

type.gif

Oooooh! I want my limit lifted... Then I can really be a post whore biggrin.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 27 2011, 11:53 AM) *

WTF indeed....not one 914 in the pic.....???
SirAndy
Ok, i raised the upload limit per post to 4096k (4MB) ...

cheer.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 28 2011, 09:21 PM) *

Ok, i raised the upload limit per post to 4096k (4MB) ...

cheer.gif

Yay! Now I can be 8 times more of a post whore sheeplove.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Andyrew
WOO HOO!!

Thanks Andy!!!
SCV
Many thanks, SirAndy!
johannes
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 27 2011, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 27 2011, 10:29 AM) *

Width and height is less important than overall file size. It's usually the DPI (dots per inch) setting that makes a camera picture huge. The best DPI setting for web sites is 72.

Bottom-line, if you have ultra high quality images from a digital camera, you need to resize them.

You'll get the best results for the web if you resize them to:

Width: 1024
Height: 768
DPI: 72

and save them as a JPG file ...

bye1.gif Andy

For the web, setting DPI won't do anything as the DPI depends on the size and résolution of your screen. Most screens are about 70 to 80 DPI ( dots per inch, that means pixels by printed inches ). DPI is only used for printing. For the web the only thing to set is the amount of pixels.

Exemple below of an image that is 300 pixels wide. One set to 72dpi , the other set to 300 dpi. No difference on screen.
If you print both images untouched on paper the 300 dpi image will be 1 inch wide and look great. The 72dpi will be 4 inches wide and look like crap.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jul 28 2011, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 27 2011, 11:53 AM) *

WTF indeed....not one 914 in the pic.....???

Oops, how about this Mr. Tabor sir!

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 29 2011, 12:03 AM) *
Exemple below of an image that is 300 pixels wide. One set to 72dpi , the other set to 300 dpi. No difference on screen.

That was my point ... biggrin.gif

Modern cameras shot pictures with large DPI settings which is perfect for printing etc.
However, when uploading those images to the web, anything over 72 DPI is wasted as your computer screen won't be able to use the additional DPI.
Reducing the DPI of your digital images will result in much smaller image file size while producing the same quality on a computer screen.

chowtime.gif
Elliot Cannon
Isn't it a bit ironic that Andy is giving advice on digital photography? av-943.gif
markb
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 29 2011, 11:16 AM) *

Isn't it a bit ironic that Andy is giving advice on digital photography? av-943.gif

agree.gif

lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 29 2011, 11:16 AM) *

Not at all since i wasn't commenting on the quality of the image itself but rather on the image size, which is independent from blurry content.

shades.gif
JMKnight
Click to view attachmentI figured it out. I changed programs and voila! it went!! piratenanner.gif
jcambo7
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats. I just use paint on windows to make the photo's smaller.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.