Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires for Semi Track Car ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theol00
I took my 70 914/6 (2.2 E) with 15 x 6 Fuchs wheels to the Porsche Club event this weekend to Laguna Seca. smilie_flagge24.gif Currently I have a set of Dunlop Sports 5000 205/60X15 on my car - it got extremely squirly - I even did 2 x 360s in 2 different sessions coming out of turn 9 - w00t.gif The instructor (in the car with me) chatsmiley.gif suggested I get some stickier tires and I'll be fine. MDB2.gif - I would like to find a set of sticky tires that I can drive to and from the track (100 miles round trip) - I do not want to get back to towing or being dependend on a support vehicle. Any suggestions?
Aaron Cox
i just ordered falken azenis 205 50 15's on my 15x6 fuchs. lots of people swear by them.

biggrin.gif
seanery
Falkens or Yoko A032 should do the trick. Falken's are 1/2 the Yokos in price.

I spun coming out of 9, too. Don't lift! w00t.gif
TimT
Yoko A032 should do the trick

agree.gif
Howard
Toyo RA-1 and hope it doesn't rain. Ain't really a street tire with 40 treadwear rating, but seem to last long enough on light cars. I use 205/50/15 but think they no make 225/50's, a better choice for back if they clear. Hell, make 'em clear.

RA-1
Aaron Cox
holy crap! 40 treadwear?
dang i thought the falken's 200 was sticky biggrin.gif
Howard
Aaron, that's why age and treachery always triumph over youth and enthusiasm. MDB2.gif
Brad Roberts
Careful gang.. we have NO information on how well the Falkens do on the track. I would suggest the Yoks or Toyo's.

How did the Coastal Driving school event go ??

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 28 2004, 08:21 PM)
Careful gang.. we have NO information on how well the Falkens do on the track. I would suggest the Yoks or Toyo's.

How did the Coastal Driving school event go ??

B

really? i thought all the ax guys swore by them confused24.gif , then again, ax isnt laguna seca

it would seem the toyos be mo sticky rocking nana.gif
Brad Roberts
Correct Grasshopper. AX= 50-60 seconds TT/DE/School= 20+ minutes. The Falkens may go away in 10 minutes. I just dont know yet.. our first time trial on them has been canned in favor of me attending Parade this year.

B
Aaron Cox
thanks, i opted for the falkens for following reasons
  • A) im a poor student.....
  • cool.gif I plan on doing a few ax's through the next year
  • C) they were half the freakin price of a comparable tire.....
  • D) i love that 'super bike' style tread pattern
get em in a couple of days, let you know what i think of them
seanery
I may do another DE before bluecar gets here. If so, it'll be on the Falkens. I'll report the results. If it's with bluecar it'll be on A032s.
Brad Roberts
They "say" 200 on the side but I promise they are under 100. I drove them back to back with some AutoX Kuhmo's and they didnt feel any different.

Kinda like a 205/50/15 Hoosier.. that physically measures 215.

Kinda like the Yok's we bought recently for a customer car... says 205/60/15 on them.. they measure 185... BullS_it.

B
Andyrew
Kumho 711's work for me! But there street's.. Ha!

NOw I do have some very sticky Yoke's on my "new" phone dials.. Maybe' I should give em a try! biggrin.gif

Andrew
campbellcj
Either of the Kumho V700 (-R) tires work fine too. They are steel belted with about 6/32" tread so will last several thousand miles in mixed street and track use.

The A032 Yoko is infamous for being EXTREMELY noisy, if that bugs ya at all...
Dave_Darling
The Azenis is known for being very loud as well...

--DD
theol00
Noise doesn't bother me too much - there is enough of it going on - between the fuel pump, the Webers, and the exhaust - stickieness is what I am looking for - appears like Toyos, Kumohs, or Yokos are the ticket for TT and Road Racing -I wait before trying the Falkens until there is more experience on how long they stick - Thanks for all your input - keep it coming smilie_flagge24.gif
retrotech
Does anyone have experience with BF Goodrich, G Force T/A KD?
GTeener
I was at that DE event at Laguna Seca too Theo.

I had very little problem with my Khumo Victoracers (V700?) But my rears are 225/50/15's and my fronts are 205's

Turn 9 was your problem? My 180 happened in turn 11. Definitely driver error headbang.gif
theol00
Hi Gwen - what did you drive - and what wheel sizes do you have on your car - mine was a tangerine 914 # 71 - my looping in 9 was also driver error - got in too hot and didn't break hard enough before turning in for the apex on 10...that combined with the tires.... w00t.gif
GTeener
I was car #916

914/6 (2.2S)
SC front suspension
SC rear flares
225's in back 50/15's?
205's in front
seanery
retro, I don't think the T/A KDs are a competition tire.
theol00
here is a shot of Louis.....with squirly rubber
GTeener
Louis looks purdy biggrin.gif

Might wanna crop those pix a bit though. They are huge!
theol00
Thanks Gwen - done - wub.gif
retrotech
I just received the tires I bought on e bay. They are not the model BFG I thought. They are G Force T/A R1 comp. tire.
Will these have any street life?
Comments on the tire in general.
They don't have the tread pattern I see on the net, dots/holes on the inside. These have a VERY shallow trtead, that looks more like the street performance tire.
Randal
The instructor (in the car with me)

Spinning twice on turn 9 at Laguna, with an instructor in the car, should be an event that opens all of our eyes to the conclusion that there is something going on here, more than than tires.

The corner could have been overcooking (we've all been there, done that) been taken with the wrong line (ditto) or maybe your car has some chassis issue (ditto), any of which the instructor should have pointed out or at the very least discussed.

Typically with PCA events if you spin twice at the same spot you're taken off the track and get the wonderful opportunity to have a little talk with the steward, and rightly so.

The steward is there to tell you to cool it until you understand what is going on, and with some of us, including me, that is sometimes necessary to get a grip.
seanery
R1s are a competition tire. I loved 'em when I used 'em, but wouldn't even think about hitting the streets in them.
retrotech
but wouldn't even think about hitting the streets in them.

Would you please explain?
seanery
Well, they just aren't designed for street use. Some tires like the Yokos actually have tread and a slighty harder compound making it suitable as a dual purpose tire. The R1 is not one of those. It's designed for track use only. If you do run them on the street you'll have absolutely no lifespan with those tires. Great for the track, though.
theol00
Randall, I initially netted out the just facts - I did not elaborate about my discussions with various people. I spun once on my own - and had the special counceling session with the stewart. The second time I spun with the instructor in the car - we had a discussion addressing the issues leading to this event ...entry speed to high (not hard enough on the brakes befor turning in, and missing the apex, street tires and potentially to soft on the sway/torsion bar) - I did about 40 laps without spinning and achieving reasonable lap times.
cary
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 28 2004, 08:35 PM)
They "say" 200 on the side but I promise they are under 100. I drove them back to back with some AutoX Kuhmo's and they didnt feel any different.

B

I'm with Brad, that 200 is BS. They seem sticky enough for a 2060lb car. They go right were I point them.
JWest
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 30 2004, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 28 2004, 08:35 PM)

B

I'm with Brad, that 200 is BS. They seem sticky enough for a 2060lb car. They go right were I point them.

But how long are they lasting? Like a 100 or more like a 200?

(Hoping for a miracle tire that sticks like a 100 and lasts like a 200!)
J P Stein
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 30 2004, 09:05 AM)

Hay, Cary, I guess so biggrin.gif
SCCA results:
Lookie here, a CSP winner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1m CS 59 Cary Kutter 73 Porsche 914 > 60.506 61.187+1 61.072 T: 60.506
2m CS 23 Harley McGrew 02 Mazda Miata +DNF > 63.141 63.979 T: 63.141
3m CS 159 Robert Kutter 73 Porsche 914 69.581 64.239+1 > 63.269 T: 63.269
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jandro62
Kumho Ecsta MX is a decent track/street tire. I echo the sentiments on the V700's for more dedicated track usage.

As a compromise tire, I'm running the Yoko AVS 100's and enjoy them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.