Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
I was attempting to do what seemed to be a relatively simple process of changing my cracked tranny boot. But I cant get this damn thing off!

The shifter bar wont go through the hole! What do I have to disconnect to move this damn thing !
Brad Roberts
Split the boot or remove the rod from the firewall shift coupler.

B
Brad Roberts
4 or 5 mm Allen wrench/socket to remove the front coupler from the shift tunnel rod. I dont recall. Pretty sure it is 4mm.

Then rotate the rod so the coupler is below the bottom of the firewall and can go forward under the car a few inches.

B
Malmz
Yep, rod has to come off at the front coupling, and sometimes they are a bugger when they have been on there for a number of years. After the mentioned allen head set screw (unless it has been replaced with a headed bolt...) is removed, twist and pull them apart. Sometimes useful to get some slip joint pliers on the rod to help twist it.

Once it is all together, be careful when tightening the set screw. On cars I have attacked, a very large percent either have a stripped screw, an insert from being stripped, or a cracked coupling from being over-torqued...

sm
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Malmz @ Apr 22 2003, 08:56 PM)
sometimes they are a bugger when they have been on there for a number of years.

Like 30? wavey.gif
Brad Roberts
Denied.

The bushings fail after about 10 years... even if they just sit idle and are unused.

LOL.... especially in LA with the SMOG. Everything deteriorates quicker.

B
ChrisReale
Looks like I am going to be doing a rebush job in the near future...
Jeroen
Hey Malmz,

It's about time you showed up here!
What took you so long biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.