Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great Minnesota hight last night....Until
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914coop
About 9:30 pm my son called and said the car was on fire. Took over 15 minuets for the fire truck to arrive, by then basically all burnable pieces where ash. Fire dept is not real gentle either.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Tagra was in rhe trunk
IPB Image

Kept saying to my son we needed to get a fire extinguisher headbang.gif headbang.gif

Irv
JRust
Major bummer. sad.gif had close call myself last weekend. I got lucky. Sorry to see that man. Insurance is your friend I hope
carr914
Damn Irv, that sucks

A Good Extinquisher ( or 2) should be on everyone's list to get TODAY
rick 918-S
Wow! yikes.gif Look at that carnage! I'm welding the steel flares onto the yellow slope nose Irv got from TC. That charred mess was supposed to be the parts donor for the Raspberry car I have here when the flares were done. That is a total freaking bummer. sad.gif

Jeeeze! look at what is left of the battery! ohmy.gif

Man you guy's can't catch a break. sad.gif
iamchappy
Irv and Dan, i talked to Rick last night and he told me what happened sad.gif . Engine fires in Porsches are way to common, this even applies to the old water cooled cars.

That is why i put a fire extinguisher and an onboard fire system in the turbo car.

Everyone should consider an onboard system. If you have 300 bucks burning a hole in your pocket to spend on a car, forget the quick release hub and steering wheel, or dress up stuff, get a good fire system first.

Now on Dan's car, you are welcome to any parts i have stored away to try and save it or use in the slope nose car.

I have some comfort knowing i have this to pull.
nsr-jamie
I am very sorry to hear this about your car...right now I am looking to get an extinguisher too but the one I want to buy is not sold in my part of the world and nobody will send me one here with the mail restrictions and laws...I like your system Chappy, price isn't too bad either...where can we get more information about the set up?
iamchappy
I purchased mine here, I bought mine when they went on sale for under 300.00.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.as...yID=FIRESYSTEMS

I have the large SPA AFFF system
76-914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jul 30 2011, 07:31 AM) *

I am very sorry to hear this about your car...right now I am looking to get an extinguisher too but the one I want to buy is not sold in my part of the world and nobody will send me one here with the mail restrictions and laws...I like your system Chappy, price isn't too bad either...where can we get more information about the set up?

Yeah Chappy, How 'bout a follow up. This is the 2nd 914 to burn this week! mad.gif
iamchappy
This is the system i put in my car, i wasn't worried about the size or weight.

Irv i would be more than happy to help you install the system in your new car.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productse...sp?Product=2426
914coop
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 30 2011, 06:51 AM) *

This is the system i put in my car, i wasn't worried about the size or weight.

Irv i would be more than happy to help you install the system in your new car.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productse...sp?Product=2426

Yes Chappy

We where taking about that last night and we where going to pick your brain for the new car. Dan liked the setup you had. Need to get the engine in and flares on it first.

Irv
Tom
Do you know what caused the fire? We have had 2 members have ARR failures in the past 12 months or so that caused electrical fires while they were working on the car. Luckily they were able to remove power and stop the fire before it got out of control.
Tom
914coop
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 30 2011, 04:25 AM) *

Wow! yikes.gif Look at that carnage! I'm welding the steel flares onto the yellow slope nose Irv got from TC. That charred mess was supposed to be the parts donor for the Raspberry car I have here when the flares were done. That is a total freaking bummer. sad.gif

Jeeeze! look at what is left of the battery! ohmy.gif

Man you guy's can't catch a break. sad.gif

Yea Rick,

As you can see everything that could burn in the engine compartment did. ECU, MPS, etc all gone. Damage seems to be from the engine up. If the cold water on the hot window would not have broke it I think the interior would have fared better, however vinyl does not like heat

We cleaned up the engine compartment and got the wet stuff out to dry it out so not to get mold or rust a place to start.

Good news if there is any, is that inside the engine was dry and turns freely with compression. Need to get under it and see how far down the fire/heat went.

I am glad that the yellow car will not have a high pressure fuel system.

Irv
eric9144
I just ordered a new hand held extinguisher from Pegasus, (thanks for the link iamchappy) too many cars up in flames recently. It's cheap insurance!

Sorry for your loss 914coop!
914coop
QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 30 2011, 09:09 AM) *

Do you know what caused the fire? We have had 2 members have ARR failures in the past 12 months or so that caused electrical fires while they were working on the car. Luckily they were able to remove power and stop the fire before it got out of control.
Tom

Tom

Fire extinguisher would have helped identify the cause, right now nothing is left to really know for sure.

My son said he was doing around 45 and heard a pop followed by a hissing and the engine stalled. Pulled it to the side of the road to check it out. When he got out he notice flames and called 911.

I am thinking something went south with the fuel system, which kinda pisses me off as I had purchased all new fuel lines, hose clamps and a fuel pressure regulator. Had a fuel pressure gauge permanently mounted in one of the rails and it was reading just under 30 psi. Had checked it multiple times for leaks as I was chasing FI gremlins.

Had been running great for a month now and then Thursday night.

Irv
Tom
Irv,
Really sorry to hear of your loss due to the fire. I am in the process of changing out my fuses on the relay board to a lower amperage to prevent an electrical fire. The way it is engineered, it is just waiting for a fire to happen.
Hope the insurance company will come through OK.
Tom
rick 918-S
Hey Irv, did you have full coverage or just liability? With a teen driver I can imagine the answer... This really sux!
914coop
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 30 2011, 01:52 PM) *

Hey Irv, did you have full coverage or just liability? With a teen driver I can imagine the answer... This really sux!

Just liability , was planning on going full coverage when it got straitend and flares. The 914 really was not getting driven much until the last two weeks. Dan sold his truck and was supposed to pick up a Passut (proiabbly spelled wrong) The seller got delayed on his purchase. That car showed up today, go figure.

Spent today working on both cars, got the engine compartment cleaned up believe I have glass coverage on it so I can at least get it sealed up. Fire department totaly destroyed the engine lid. Good thing I have another one of those.

I have another ECU I got when I got the wiring hardness. It's condition??? Also have another relay board.

So far it appears that it was only on top of the engine,however it did a very good job there.. so far I have not found anything that would keep it from getting back on the road again. Cost of FI parts would most likely push me to carbs.

Irv
rick 918-S
I have that other engine core here. The one you wanted the heat exchanger off of. It's a smog engine with an air pump. It has a good top end engine harness, injection, etc. Clean tin, dizzy, and I may have other parts to actually get the engine running again. But I wouldn't start it without pulling it and completely replacing the fuel lines and rear section of the chassis harness. I have a parts car here that has a spliceable rear chassis harness.

Oh, Chappy mentioned you were looking for an engine cross bar. I think I have a spare one for your new car.
914coop
Yea Rick the engine would come out if nothing else just to look it over, no need to add a problem later on.

Was looking at how I would mount the engine in the yellow car, Mount on the new engine reversed may get it down to mount to the side shift engine bar. Went to look and think about ideas and....no bar or mounting hardware. I have been looking, however it was when you where enjoying Florida and your 30 years so I did not want to intrude.

Irv
iamchappy
Irv , I have plenty of things you can have

914coop
Thanks Chappy,

I am really working on the yellow car mainly today. Will get a better look at the black car tomorrow and start making a list.

Irv

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 31 2011, 09:06 AM) *

Irv , I have plenty of things you can have

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.