Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Shifter Bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I purchased a shifter bushing. I looked at my Haynes manual but it is not very clear.

Is it hard to change? Do I need a bigger hammer!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Terry
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 30 2011, 07:45 AM) *

I purchased a shifter bushing. I looked at my Haynes manual but it is not very clear.

Thank you in advance.

Terry

Did you buy a bushing kit or just one bushing? If not a kit, which bushing?

What year is your 914? Tailshifter or Sideshifter transmission?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Jul 30 2011, 11:57 AM) *

Thank you in advance.

Terry

Thank you for responding. I was not very clear was I? I bought just one shifting bushing for the shifting stick. I have a 73 1.7 so I "assume" it is a sideshifter?

Terry
Ductech
if your talking about involving a hammer then you probably (im guessing) went and got yourself a firewall shifter bushing, Those can be tough butt are not impossible, I just did one myself actually, lots of lube, and a screwdriver will most likely be your best bet on this. You could post up a picture of said bushing and then all the pros would be able to descend upon your posting and offer the sagely advice we all come here for.

BajaXJ92
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 30 2011, 08:11 AM) *

Thank you in advance.

Terry

Thank you for responding. I was not very clear was I? I bought just one shifting bushing for the shifting stick. I have a 73 1.7 so I "assume" it is a sideshifter?

Terry

Are you talking about the ball cup bushing seen here? Ball Cup Bushing

Or is it a ring bushing?
JawjaPorsche
I was just kidding about the hammer! I have attached two pictures of the bushing in question.

Thank you in advance.

Terry
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Jul 30 2011, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 30 2011, 08:11 AM) *

Thank you in advance.

Terry

Terry

Are you talking about the ball cup bushing seen here? Ball Cup Bushing

Or is it a ring bushing?

See pictures in previous post. Thank you for responding.
Jeffs9146
I did this one last week on my car and it was a pain in the ass to pound in!

I put it in a cup of water and heated it up in the microwave. Then I used a socket and a 3lb hammer to pound it in!
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 30 2011, 12:49 PM) *

I did this one last week on my car and it was a pain in the ass to pound in!

I put it in a cup of water and heated it up in the microwave. Then I used a socket and a 3lb hammer to pound it in!

Hi Jeff

Thanks for responding. How does your shifter work now? Was it pretty sloppy before the change? How hard is it to take the shifter out of teener and then put back it.

Terry
Jeffs9146
I am not that far along yet!! I just installed the engine and wont be able to test the rebuilt trans and shifter until it is back on the ground and running!!

The shifter is easy to remove! It's just a few allen head screws! It is easier to have someone in the car to pull the shifter back so you can pop it out of the coupling while you are under there!! I would scribe a line to make putting it back to original easier!
stugray
The hardest part of that fix is to readjust the linkage once it goes back in.

Good luck your first time.
I suggest a tranqulizer first ;-)

Stu
Kansas 914
I have seen a homemade "press" consisting of a bolt and some flat washers that when wrenched it pulls the busing in. Heating it up helps as well...
VaccaRabite
Boil it and it pops right in. I made a press like the on above and it worked but i saw how easy boiling one was and it was night and day. Also if you need to do one bushing you need to do all of them.
Zach
jonferns
I installed that same bushing a few weeks ago. Clean and grease up the hole in the firewall, put the bushing in some hot water for a couple of minutes, then it went in with relatively little force. Don't forget to do the rest of your shifter bushings as well. Replace your 2 shift linkage cone screws with new ones, and you're on your way.

Good luck
Mike Bellis
I take a BIG screwdriver, push it through the bushing. Hold the bushing in place with the screwdriver and pound on the end with a hammer. They pop right in...
watsonrx13
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 30 2011, 10:45 AM) *

Thank you in advance.

Terry

You can always go to the 914 Infor/Tech articles section for the article.

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.