Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High amp alternators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
davep
I can offer a 75 amp alternator on an exchange basis. This is professionally rebuilt using new bearings, diodes, and windings on an original core. This is a substantial upgrade from the stock 50 amp original. Because it uses an original core there will be no fitment problems. You will likely want to contact Jeff Bowlsby and get a new harness. With a 50% increase in current, the old wire may not take too kindly to the upgrade.

Dave Pateman
JWest
Nice. Do you have a set price, do you need the core first, do you HAVE to have a core?
davep
I do not have a great number of cores, so I do need to get the core returned.
This is what they look like:
rickyhgarcia
Do you have a price? When would you need the core?
davep
Right now I'm pricing the 75 amp units at $160 exchange. If you send me the core first, then that makes the core charge and refund much easier. Otherwise the core charge will be $40. I am working on getting the shipping hassles resolved.
davep
90 amp alternators will be available soon.
Dr Evil
Can you upgrade the /6 alternators? If so, I would be interested.
McMark
Let me know when the 90 is available.
davep
Sorry on the sixes, I have nothing available to work with. Then there are a few varieties also.

I have one 90 amp unit right now. I guess that goes to McMark.
rickyhgarcia
Are you all set up to ship the alternators? Do you have a final cost for both 75amp and 90 amp alternators? I am upgrading my engine within the next 4 months and would like one of your alternators.
davep
Since Mark does not need the 90 amp unit right away it is available now. There is also one 75 amp unit available. I will try to keep a 90 amp unit in stock at all times.
75 amp: US$160 plus core plus shipping
90 amp: US$170 plus core plus shipping
914werke
Dave perhaps you can describe the pros/cons of applying a higher amp Alt compared to simply referbing the OE 50amp unit or sourcing a NOS unit? Is there anything else that must be changed? Concerns about 30 yr old wiring? Additional Grounding?

Is more better? IPB Image
davep
These are refurbed 50 amp original units. For a few dollars more you get a big output increase. The original units were sized to run what came with the car, nothing else. To run high power stereos or lights you need a bigger alternator. I think you should consider upgraded wiring, at least from the alternator to the starter, so talk to Jeff Bowlsby. All the old harnesses I have are useless and must be replaced. I must assume most harnesses are in similar shape.
d7n7master
Please guesstimate shipping charge to zip code# 90620.
Thanks, Gary
davep
An update to the alternator service. Only 90 amp units are now being built since there is no cost difference . Unfortunately the supplier has had to increase his price to make a profit. The last few out the door were about US$300 plus a core and I believe I can hold this price. These units are built on an original core so the fit is exactly the same as the one you take out. Since the original is a 50 amp unit an upgraded harness is strongly recommended.
jsayre914
Im next in line... biggrin.gif

pm sent
davep
I'm working up updated quotes for the 3 inquiries I have.
Mikey914
These sound like a great idea, but do you need to get a different voltage regulator?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.