Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any pics of the V8 cross bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
75boxster
Just curious as to what the V8 conversion uses for the
mounting of the motor. I understand there is a different
cross bar but I am looking to see what one looks like.
I am installing a 4 cylinder G60 motor but looking for
ideas before I get knee deep into it. Thanks for any
help.
Mueller
imagine the stock bar with two pieces going up at an angle

__/___\__

some are completly new weldments(rectangular tubing) , others are bolt-on (with U-clamps)
URY914
I'm in the process of fab'ing a new lightweight ( biggrin.gif ) cross bar for my -4.

But to tell you the truth, it is not worth the effort. It will be lighter, maybe half the weight, but a PITA.

I'll post some pics when complete.

Paul welder.gif
Mueller
Paul, some guy was selling those down in LA a few years back, I should have picked one up for $10.00 at a swapmeet, originally I understand he was getting close to $75 a pop for them.
Andyrew
You gona get those billet hubs from Brad/Mike? Maybe the "Light" version that he mentioned?

Paul, I would love to see how much of a difference all of that weight savings makes.. But for now, i can only imagine.

Andrew

Oh best pic I can find...

IPB Image
URY914
Now you tell me...

I'm using scape pieces so I don't have any real money in it yet.

I started looking at my pile of steel one day and thought there has to be enough there for a cross bar.

Paul sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
GWN7
Take a look Here for photos of the V8 bar....
Mueller
Take a look Here for photos of the V8 bar....

so you didn't like my version?? smile.gif

__/___\__
skline
Here are a couple of shots of mine already mounted on the engine but out of the car. Hope this helps.
skline
Nuther
GWN7
so you didn't like my version??

__/___\__

The pictures don't have the spaces yours shows... biggrin.gif
Mueller
a "modified" version of sklines smile.gif

shows how some of the Rod Simpson mounts are (sorta smile.gif )
75boxster
Thanks for the pictures. Exactly what I was wanting to see.
Mueller
try to not get too hooked up on how everyone else is doing it, you can start with a clean slate.......until you put the engine in there to mock everything up, you might not know for sure whether or not the original crossbar will even fit......don't worry too much if it doesn't..........
75boxster
I'm headed into this project assuming the facotry cross bar
will be in the trash can! I just figure it can't hurt to see
some of the designs out there.
Malmz
Here is what I made for my Nissan conversion. I hard mouted it to the motor and did soft mounts on the outboard ends bolted to the stock locations. Little ugly but it worked. Notice the angle since the stock mount locations on the motor were back further then a V8.
Malmz
Notice the mark on the ground. I parked the car in the garage, and used a plumb bob to mark the four mounting point locations on the garage floor. Moved the car and put the engine and tranny in place and made the front bar to reach the front mounting points marked on the ground. I got lucky on the height by just eyeballing it...

sm
Mike T
Here's my front mount. It's home built from eyeballing pictures.

Mike T
Mike T
A pic of the rear mount too. It's offset approx 1.25" rearward. Also home fabricated.

Mike T
75boxster
Thanks Mike, that is a great view of your work. I am guessing the lenght
of the shift linkage will have to be a different than stock.?.?
GWN7
BTW there are some conversion parts on ebay.....Here

usual disclaimer....no interest, don't know who, ect
Mike T
QUOTE(75boxster @ Jun 30 2004, 02:51 PM)
Thanks Mike, that is a great view of your work. I am guessing the lenght
of the shift linkage will have to be a different than stock.?.?

Yes. I measured the length of the shift rod and using a vice, carefully took the "bow" out of the stock shift rod, straightening it almost completely. The overall length "grew" about 1.25". The gears all appear to engage fully and the shift action feels normal. I was ready to make a whole new shift rod but this looks like it should work.

Mike T
John2kx
Lengthen the shift rod the same amount you move the transaxle rearward. Don't worry about getting it exact, you still have some adjustment at shifter for fore/aft and left/right adjustment.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.