Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does your H hole look like?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
okieflyr
So I've been wondering what my hell hole looks like on the inside since the PO did most of the rust work on the car. I am specifically interested in the suspension console since I do alot of spirited driving.

Today I picked up a digital inspection camera on sale and appliied the 20% of at Harbor Freight store for $63.99 +19.99 2year replacement package. The shelf price was cheaper than the coupon sales price that I went in with.The state of Delaware does not charge sales tax either. piratenanner.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/aut...mera-67979.html

Like most things Harbor, it ain't perfect, but this one offers some value at this price. They offer another deluxe model with additional features, but we are talking teener economics here.

Now on to the probing of the hole.....
obscurity
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jul 31 2011, 12:36 PM) *

So I've been wondering what my hell hole looks like on the inside since the PO did most of the rust work on the car. I am specifically interested in the suspension console since I do alot of spirited driving.

Today I picked up a digital inspection camera on sale and appliied the 20% of at Harbor Freight store for $63.99 +19.99 2year replacement package. The shelf price was cheaper than the coupon sales price that I went in with.The state of Delaware does not charge sales tax either. piratenanner.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/aut...mera-67979.html

Like most things Harbor, it ain't perfect, but this one offers some value at this price. They offer another deluxe model with additional features, but we are talking teener economics here.

Now on to the probing of the hole.....

I've wanted something like this for years. If you get a chance post some pics so we can see how well it works

John
d914
getting kind of personnal ain't cha??? smile.gif
sean_v8_914
16mm head, 14mm spark plug hole, rats.
okieflyr
Here is how the day played out so far.

Using an existing factory hole at the top of the boxed frame in the engine compartment, I found that I could snake the camera down in and see the status as hoped. I figured I would need to make some strategic access holes to get best visibility, and I may still do that. The inspection camera only gives realtime visuals without any capture or storage.
The inspection head did fit ok, and it gave good resolution on the pistol grip screen. The flex cable was kinda thick and stiff a little tough to bend into a tight position. As I played with it further, I realized this inspection camera was like crack and I needed more.

So a second trip to Harbor Fright yeilds me a trade in for the deluxe.

The wallet is abit lighter now, but this unit will now record photo/video through a much smaller inspection head (8mm) and cable. The visual images on the monitor are much more clear than the saved photos moved to the computer. I don't know if using an actual SD card will improve the digital photos or not.

So what did I see?
Looking down into the susp console on the engine side looks clean with the exception of a couple of outer weld burns.

The portals on the outer console mounts show some rust on the surface inside, but doesn't look too bad.

The outer wall underneath the hole location and jack tube don't look good.

Because the inspection camera cable is thinner, it is easier to bend and manuver into position, but the flexibilty makes it easy to loose vertical orientation.
Pics to follow.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 31 2011, 10:41 AM) *

16mm head, 14mm spark plug hole, rats.

agree.gif That is the very reason why I didn't buy one.
okieflyr
#1 Inner Susp console porthole
Click to view attachment

#2 Inside susp console from top down
Click to view attachment

#3 Jack tube wall
Click to view attachment

#4 Portal to outer 3 bolt susp console mount
Click to view attachment

76-914
I had one with the rechargeable battery that lasted 7 mo's. It is no longer made but they replaced it with the newer model. Better resolution on the new model IMHO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.