Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Billstein suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fly
I purchased a brand new set of billstiens based on someones recomendation.
My car seems to ride too stiff, any ideas on how I can soften it a bit or do I need to start over?
I realize now that i would have been better off getting adjustable koni struts
headbang.gif

I have 5 lug suspension and very little knowledge in this area. Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike
Mueller
Hi Mike, you can get them re-valved....not sure if the cost is more or less than completely replacing them with new shocks.
fly
Does anyone like these shocks, My car has been lowered, i wonder if that has some effect. I am not sure but I think the rear springs were shortened.

What will re-valveing do?

idea.gif
Jeroen
I guess you got the "sport" version?
These Bilsteins are known for a rough ride.
They need big springs to make them work properly

Re-valving means that you change the damping caracteristics of the shock
Pretty much what the Koni's allow you to do by turning the knob, except the Bilsteins need to be changed internally (and you're still stuck with just one setting)

cheers,

Jeroen
ChrisFoley
I use the Bilsteins, and prefer them.
Sure they are a bit stiff. Their high pressure design adds spring rate to the suspension and will raise the car up a little too.
Starting with a set of unknown rate, cut springs doesn't sound good to me. The rear should be a bit softer than the front. A set of 100lb springs would probably be better, and the ride height can be set at the rear by moving the clip on the shocks.
Revalving the shocks is expensive, but they can set the damping characteristics to your preference, based on your application.
EdwardBlume
I've got the B's too and while the ride is stiff (with non-stock torsion and sways), I appreciate its virtues on the track. If the front end is too much, put a full tank of gas in your teen. By adding weight, you will counter some of the effects.

With the rear springs, get a pair of 140's and call it a day. Cut springs IMO are not what you want to establish a good suspension geometry...
morgan_harwell
If you think the Bilsteins are stiff, don't go to Konis! To "soften up" my 914, I removed Konis and installed Bilsteins. I tried Konis for a year, set on their softest setting, hated them. Found myself dodging shadows on the road because the Konis are so jarring. The Bilsteins are a firm ride, but will not knock your fillings loose.

Replace your Bilsteins with Boge(sp) for a more compliant ride. Might be cheaper than revalving the Bilsteins. Recover the cost of the Boges by selling your Bilsteins.

--Moe--
jtf914
The revalving is cheaper than replacing. Cost me about $150 for the two front inserts, including shipping to and from the west coast, I had them back in 2 weeks.

-Justin
fly
Do you think bigger springs will help? If so any ideas where I can find them.
I do have some sort of after market sway bar. Mike M told me how to adjust them for a better ride in the front, no time yet.

Does this look like it sits too low in the back?

Thanks Guys

Mike
Mueller
Hey Mike,

we could test the rates of your rear springs at my place, takes about 10 minutes to remove them....
fly
Cool!
Thanks Mike, Let me your schedule. Hopefully I can give you a hand with your project the same day.
Mike
Mueller
I plan on working at home tommorow...I'm going to start on the fence....don't worry if you cannot make it, I have plenty of other projects I need help with, LOL
Bruce Allert
I run the adjustable Bils with 100# rear springs, front & rear sways & the ride is great. I had stock 60#'s with KBY shithings & was amazed at the difference the heavier springs & Bils combo did for the handling & overall feel. Got mine lowered as much as yers...

I LUV IT beer.gif

.....b
jporsche914
Great looking car. It doesn't look any lower in the back to me.
fly
Thanks, I can see there is hope with the bil., I will try to find new springs and see if that helps.

Mike M, I have a crazy day tommorrow but I will see if I can sneak out.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.