Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helmet for long but narrow head?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tomeric914
Looking at getting a new full face helmet and just wondering what others with a similar profile head have found successful fitment with? There are exactly no performance shops in my area that I know of who carry SA helmets. If there is one helmet that fits the long and narrow profile better than others, then I can seek them out in my business travels.
john rogers
A good idea is to always try on the helmet you intend to trust you head with. Fire suits and shoes are also good to try on before buying. The helmet will have to fit snug but should not hurt if left on for a while.

I used to use a rubber inflated kid's ball and put it inside the helmet and then inflate it so the foam would be compressed some and it made the helmet feel better. My issue was the temple pieces of my glasses would be pushed against my face. The foam would start out loose but slowly come back over a weekend of racing.
carr914
Beiffe might fit your noggin

But alway try on a helmet, before buying

Go to a major race (ALMS, Indy, etc) there are usually Vendors there like Wine Country Motorsports or Stable Energies that are selling helmets
neilca
A Simpson will probably fit you. I have a round head so I go with Bell.
andys
Try as many different brands/models a s possible. They all fit distinctly differently, even when they're the same size. Don't be picky with the brand.
Andys
tomeric914
Thanks. I understand that I need to try it on first, the problem being there are exactly no performance shops in my area that I know of who carry SA helmets.

If I'm lucky, Stable Energies may be at WG this weekend. I need to find out and see if they'll bring up some helmets for my noggin.

I have a Pyrotect XXL that I have used a wooden spoon on the front to get my head to fit a little more comfortably. It isn't as snug as I would like on the sides.

As I recall, Pyrotect and Bell are very similar (ie. for round heads). I've never heard of Bieffe. I'll have to check into them. Thanks TC!
pt_700
try an arai motorcycle helmet. pricey but worth it.

as i recal, the fit's called something like "round oval".
carr914
I just to my friends @ Stable and they will Not be at WG this weekend. The only time they to to the Glen is for the PCA Race in May

T.C.
tomeric914
Yea, Cupomeat told me the same. Thanks though TC.

I checked out Bieffe's website but it didn't give me an option to search for a dealer. Also Googled "Bieffe Dealers" and "Bieffe Helmets" and got a lot of dead links. Any idea if they are in business still?
carr914
They may have retreated out of the US Market - I will do some checking

Here is the Bieffe Helmet I wear when I'm Instructing in a non-Hans car

Paul Tracy's

Click to view attachment
carr914
If your in Florida, come buy the house & try a few on rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
tomeric914
One to match every outfit? I'd take you up on your offer, but the closest I'll be next week is Atlanta.

I think Bieffe bit the dust. Bieffe America shows helmets and some pricing but no contact information. Bieffe Racing is a dead domain. Bieffe Italy doesn't look like a helmet website.

Arai is probably the next in line to check out. Someone else mentioned Simpson.
Britain Smith
I have a huge head and found that the G-Force helmets fit me the best.

-Britain
tomeric914
Are there any big race shops in the Northeast (besides Stable Energies) who carry a wide variety of SA2010 helmets?
AndyB
You do realize we are in the middle of nowhere. All those DIRT events in your area and no Speed Shops?
tomeric914
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Aug 13 2011, 07:15 PM) *

You do realize we are in the middle of nowhere. All those DIRT events in your area and no Speed Shops?

I realize that. That's why I'm asking. APEX Performance used to be in PA until they moved to SC. I just don't know where the next nearest place is that I stand a chance to be able to try on a helmet for my bizarre shaped head.
AndyB
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Aug 13 2011, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Aug 13 2011, 07:15 PM) *

I realize that. That's why I'm asking. APEX Performance used to be in PA until they moved to SC. I just don't know where the next nearest place is that I stand a chance to be able to try on a helmet for my bizarre shaped head.

I am waiting on a response from my cousin down in Clay. He races DIRT. Hopefully he will give a lead or two
tomeric914
Any race shops in Pittsburgh that have a good stock of helmets? I'm headed that way tomorrow.
Bullethead
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 31 2011, 08:26 PM) *
But always try on a helmet, before buying

Go to a major race (ALMS, Indy, etc) there are usually Vendors there like Wine Country Motorsports or Stable Energies that are selling helmets

agree.gif

Most makes have removable padding; some just the cheeks, some the crown as well, so you have some adjustment. Ask the dealer to break out the fitment foam and get what works for you. OMP and HJC shell shapes work well for a long head with high forehead. The HJC Si12 is superlight and I was able to select padding for the best fit. If you prefer an open face there are fewer options. The OMP Ghibli is HANS compatible and very comfortable, but isn't SFI/SA legal. Acceptable for most DEs and autocross, but not much else.

BTW... a HANS is money well spent. Safety is always a good investment.
grantsfo
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 2 2011, 06:48 PM) *

They may have retreated out of the US Market - I will do some checking

Here is the Bieffe Helmet I wear when I'm Instructing in a non-Hans car

Paul Tracy's

Click to view attachment

That's the most awesomely politically incorrect helmet I have ever seen! smilie_pokal.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Sep 2 2011, 09:47 PM) *

The HJC Si12 is superlight and I was able to select padding for the best fit. If you prefer an open face there are fewer options. The OMP Ghibli is HANS compatible and very comfortable, but isn't SFI/SA legal. Acceptable for most DEs and autocross, but not much else.

BTW... a HANS is money well spent. Safety is always a good investment.

Good info. I want to get away from the open face and go HANS for certain. Hopefully I find a place in my travels that I can try some on.
tomeric914
Hey all, back on for the long narrow head helmet search again. No luck last year. Any good shops in the Sterling, VA area?
stuttgart46
If you're going to be at Road Atlanta, they have a shop trackside that sells all kinds of racing goodies.
tomeric914
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Apr 16 2012, 01:11 PM) *

If you're going to be at Road Atlanta, they have a shop trackside that sells all kinds of racing goodies.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be at Road Atlanta anytime soon but thanks for the heads up.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 13 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Hey all, back on for the long narrow head helmet search again. No luck last year. Any good shops in the Sterling, VA area?

OG Racing is over there.

22585 Markey Ct # D Sterling, VA 20166
(703) 430-3303
stuttgart46
OG Racing has great customer service as well.
tomeric914
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Apr 18 2012, 08:22 AM) *

OG Racing is over there.

22585 Markey Ct # D Sterling, VA 20166
(703) 430-3303

Thanks, I forgot about them! I was at their shop back in the mid 90's when it wasn't much.
Racing916
You could try Mark at OG Racing,

His family all track there cars in DE's and racing and the live outside of Syracuse. If you tell mark what you are looking for he could probably help you out.

Mark's number at OG is 800.934.9112
tomeric914
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Apr 21 2012, 01:57 PM) *

You could try Mark at OG Racing,

His family all track there cars in DE's and racing and the live outside of Syracuse. If you tell mark what you are looking for he could probably help you out.

Mark's number at OG is 800.934.9112

Thanks, I set up an appointment with them when I'll be down there in a few weeks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.