Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheet metal screw source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
SKL1
Search wasn't helpful... source for the thick head factory sheet metal screws ?

TIA

(BTW- I still have my first car, a early '71 914-4 and am restoring a '73 2.0- wonder how many original owner 914's are out there???)
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 31 2011, 03:47 PM) *

Search wasn't helpful... source for the thick head factory sheet metal screws ?

TIA

(BTW- I still have my first car, a early '71 914-4 and am restoring a '73 2.0- wonder how many original owner 914's are out there???)

There are a number of original owners out there. I am the orignal owber of 4722918725 - bought it in August of '72.

There are several sources for the "cheeshead" screws. One would be your local Porsche dealer. You'll pay dearly for the ferrous screws that rust quickly.
Another source would be a British company on eBay (forget the name, but search). They supply all the screws & washers in stainless for about $20. Another choice could be 914rubber.com. Mark supplies 50 allen head screws, in stainless, plus the washers, for $20. Your choice.
Pat
Matt Romanowski
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cheese-head-machine-screws/=df888b

No cad plated ones, but if you're ok with silver, they are the cheapest. You can get zinc plated or stainless. You have to measure yours, but I believe they are M4.
SKL1
Thanks guys- I've gotten stuff from McMaster before for the race-car.

Boy, Matt, you get around!!

Pat- I've seen your car over the years- very nice! I think Mike Robbins must be one of the oldest original owners with his black Speedster!
SKL1
In looking in my parts catalog (still have an original in a binder from the '70's) it is a M6X12 cheese head screw- but McMaster has 3 different pitchs- not sure how to tell which one!

Any ideas?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 31 2011, 08:38 PM) *

Thanks guys- I've gotten stuff from McMaster before for the race-car.

Boy, Matt, you get around!!

Pat- I've seen your car over the years- very nice! I think Mike Robbins must be one of the oldest original owners with his black Speedster!

Mike IS the oldest original owner. His Speedster has over a half million miles on it!

Dick Weiss has had his Carrera Speedster since about 1960, so he has to be close, though with not nearly the miles. I can't recall which 914 member has a teener with well over 200K on it. They are out there. I can't win on mileage - 66,914 miles. That's less than 2K/year.
Pat
barada
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 1 2011, 08:17 PM) *

In looking in my parts catalog (still have an original in a binder from the '70's) it is a M6X12 cheese head screw- but McMaster has 3 different pitchs- not sure how to tell which one!

Any ideas?

Careful on the ones from McMaster, I bought them and the edges are rounded. I wound up buying mine from Jake Raby.

Phillip
SKL1
Just got them from McMaster: 6X12 1mm pitch. Look great and tried one on the case and screwed in fine. Came in a bag of 50 so should last a while...

I could spend hours just looking through their "catalog" online... they have EVERYTHING
barada
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 3 2011, 10:12 PM) *

Just got them from McMaster: 6X12 1mm pitch. Look great and tried one on the case and screwed in fine. Came in a bag of 50 so should last a while...

I could spend hours just looking through their "catalog" online... they have EVERYTHING

Can you post a link? I bought what I thought was the same thing but they had rounded shoulders instead of the sharp cheesehead style.
Matt Romanowski
Part # 91460A318. They are silver zinc, not cad plated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.