Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: External Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
But I wasn't paying attention.

What, where, how much, and your experiences. I've got a regular 2.0 that runs hot (around 250) and if I start track racing soon, I'll need some oil cooling.

Picts are appreciated!!

THANKS, Rob (formely known as CAVWPGUY)
ynotdd
Just did mine last week! I will get some pic's for you. I used a mocal 16 row cooler with an 10 fittings, auroquip blue sockless hose and ends and a mocal sandwhich plate with a180 thermostst built in it, totol cost was about $375. I put the cooler up front in the trunk and still have room for a spare tire! Racerwholesaleparts had all needed parts and got it to me in 3 days!! smilie_flagge24.gif
KenH
OH NO - not ROB on the big track!!!

Another thing to consider is to change the Engine cover to the GT type. The entire lid is screen. I saw a noticable difference when I modified mine.

I have my cooler/fan mounted to the engine lid.

I think I will be at Marina on the 25th you can see it then.

Ken
StratPlayer
This is where I had my cooler mounted, ran the lines along the rocker panel pass. side and mounted a mocal thermostat for the unit.
StratPlayer
where the thermostat got mounted
KenH
Nice pictures, but how do you get the air in & out?

Ken
SLITS
QUOTE(KenH @ Jul 1 2004, 07:35 AM)
Nice pictures, but how do you get the air in & out?

Ken

It's a 914 - they don't seal that well laugh.gif Ok, I know that was uncalled for.
StratPlayer
There is an opening that was cut out in the front and openings in the fenderwells to vent the hot air..
efrenv
Hi... I have had the same heat issue with my 2.0L.

The front mounted oil cooler seems the most efficient however, if one does not want to run the lines to the front, I think you can use two oil coolers instead to attain the function of a front mounted oil cooler.

First oil cooler I had was a Setrab plate type oil cooler with a fan attached to it. Useful when car is idling or stationary. Cooler installed within void where A/C compressor was.

Second oil cooler is a perma-cool tube and fin oil cooler mounted below the car where the fan pulley is located. An improvised scoop (cheap and disposable in case of damage) was installed too for added efficiency. Useful when car is moving ...

The system seems to help in the cooling so far. Others could improve on the concept and make it more professional.

The following photos may appear mickey mouse but it does seem to work wink.gif

Temps in the middle of the gauge. Cost - approx. $375 total (excluding labor smile.gif )

Hope this helps ...

Here is the first photo - Setrab plate type oil cooler in A/C void.
efrenv
Pull type fan below the Setrab oil cooler.
efrenv
Perma-cool tube and fin oil cooler underneath engine area ...
efrenv
and Hi-tech scoop. Cost - $3 laugh.gif
lmcchesney
There are those who state that the additin of the GT engne lid, doubling the screen area, lowers oil temps. This is dependent on the concept that there is increased cold air flow from the area behind the rear window and down through the engine compartment and out the bottom. Look at this post; http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=13518&hl=
Data reveals that at speed, the area above the engine grill has a greater negative pressure than inside the engine compartment. Increasing the square inches of engine grill screen would help radiant heat loss but not cold air intake.
L. McC
maf914
Efren,

How often does that scoop get crunched? What is it, an aluminum or PVC down spout elbow?

Are you running both of these coolers in series?
efrenv
Mike,

The scoop has not been crunched (knock on wood). It was only installed last week. It protrudes about 2" below the car, PVC (from Lowe's wink.gif ... rain downspout elbow transition). I would prefer a custom aluminum scoop but did not know where to get it built and how much it would cause. The probability of the scoop being crunched is small I believe but still exists.

The oil coolers were piped in series. From the oil filter adapter plate discharge to the tube and fin Perma-cool to an inline thermostat (to trigger the Setrab oil cooler fan) to the Setrab plate type oil cooler back to the inlet of the oil adapter inlet. Power (with fuse) for fan was close by from the 12V power at the coil. Also provided a relay to prolong the life of the thermostat.

The pressure drop through the oil coolers should be minimal due to the good construction of the Setrab and the single pass tube and fin and also short oil hose lines.

Efren
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.