Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate making a 'Bonehead' mistake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
So I'm deep into re assembling my car and have been working on the interior. . spent dozen of hours doing a 'perfect' job on the dash. . . being very careful to make everything like new. . . So I've got the basket weave dash in, the dash top and the lower dash pad installed, all the gages and dash controlls, the steering column is completed, all electrices tested and the glove box done, so what did I leave to last ?? the smallest part- the ash tray assembly. . . . Do you know where this is going and you've been there before ?? Will you admit it ?? headbang.gif

Well , this is when I notice that the ash tray base has 3 mounting bolts. . one in the back- no problem but then I look and see the holes for the 2 side bolts are now under the top dash pad. . . and everything has to come back out to remove it to install the base properly. . . Damn. . !! time to have a beer and think about this. . . hissyfit.gif
76-914
Ouch
Cupomeat
Sorry to hear about this. Good luck and may your partial disassembly be more partial and less disassembly.
RickS
Welcome to being human. Unfortunately some of us are more human than others, present company included.
Nie Zu Alt
Doing it right does take more time, but we tend to get quicker when we have to do it the second or third time!
Black22
We have a saying in our house,

"If it wasn't done twice, it wasn't done by me."

Sad but true.
SUNAB914
yep, know what you mean. Those two tiny nuts. Sorry.
jaxdream
Unless you are adament about bolts and nuts , pop rivet that thing in and save the disassembley time . Pop rivets do have thier place in auto assembley , no one would look there for nuts , probably not even the CW judges.
I've probably got 3-4 X's the put it together mistakes over the years. Good luck what ever course you chose.

Jack
sean_v8_914
I have not done anything like that...

...today
tomeric914
Rivnuts are your friend.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivnuts.php

Also look on evilBay if you don't find the size you need. You want the "keyless" type.

You'll need this low cost tool to install them:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topa...ivetnuttool.php

There are a bunch of different sizes, but these are slick.

I don't know how much room you have to play with though.
Valy
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Aug 1 2011, 06:51 AM) *

Unless you are adament about bolts and nuts , pop rivet that thing in and save the disassembley time . Pop rivets do have thier place in auto assembley , no one would look there for nuts , probably not even the CW judges.
I've probably got 3-4 X's the put it together mistakes over the years. Good luck what ever course you chose.

Jack

agree.gif
This is what hods mine smile.gif
And after you find-out that it hangs to low, I have a solution for that too.
windforfun
BTDT. At least it sounds like you have some options.
Als914
I've never done anything that silly biggrin.gif but some how I have gotten very good by redoing things on my teener. w00t.gif lol-2.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Als914 @ Aug 1 2011, 11:34 AM) *
... I have gotten very good by redoing things on my teener. w00t.gif lol-2.gif

I'm sure none of us know what you're talking about!

I, for instance, have never had to re-do my alternator installation in my 914. More than twice over. In one day. rolleyes.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.