Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tried to Torch Blackie Saturday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Saturday evening I decided to go for a quick spin after completing a few minor tasks on Blackie that afternoon. It fired immediatly and died! Huh? Six more cycles of this and I checked the fuel pressure which was indicating a steady 0 psi. A peek down the gas tank filler neck reveals that it is indeed empty. At once, I think back to last Sunday when I had rebuilt the front end. Before I reattached the steering control arm cover (or whatever you call that piece of metal) I had noticed a small drop on a tank nipple nut. I made a mental note of if and decided to check it for tightness later. What else could it be? New sock, washer, lines, clamps and hoses. Besides, I was on to something bigger at that time. Could it have leaked that much in a week? No worrys. Out to the shed and back with a 2 gal can of gas. Pour it in, cap the tank, close the lid and........... nothing. No starty. No FP. WTF.gif I walk around the car and find my drive is soaked in 2 galllons of gas which was pouring from beneath the fuel tank. Whew! It was late and my wifes BD party was today which kept me busy all day so I did not get a chance to look into it. I'm interested to find what it is since every filter,OEM rubber hose, hose clamp or SS line is new. Except this plastic Y fitting seen in this pic. idea.gif More to come.............
Click to view attachment
rjames
Hard to believe that the Y fitting could have been the culprit for draining two gallons of gasoline in your driveway that quickly.

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
You need to pull the tank. Something under it came undone, or you are going to find a nice rust hole in the tank.

Zach
76-914
So I pulled the tank and here is what greeted me. That will drain a tank quickly! In the second pic it is evident that the clamp is cinched up as tight as it will go. Verdict? Improperly sized hose clamp. This was the last clamp to go on before the tank was dropped onto it's rest so it was an easy repair. Just friggin embarassing chair.gif .

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PRS914-6
I admire anyone willing to post embarrassing moments for the benefit of others to learn.... smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 1 2011, 10:34 PM) *

I admire anyone willing to post embarrassing moments for the benefit of others to learn.... smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif Check and check again. We lost two 914's to fire in the last couple weeks. This was your lucky day. unsure.gif
'73-914kid
At least it was the the front trunk under the gas tank, and not in the engine bay Kent.. could've been a lot worse. Nice job finding the leak though!
jaxdream
Nah , not embarassing , that would have been when you called the fire dept. Personally I would double clamp where possible and replace that plastic Y with a brass T or similar metal fuel fittings. Look around different suppliers of parts , you should be able to come up with a viable solution. Good luck , and thanks for posting your findings -goes a long way to alerting others of the possibility of problems even with good parts.

Jack
Thestigz06
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Aug 1 2011, 09:55 PM) *

At least it was the the front trunk under the gas tank, and not in the engine bay Kent.. could've been a lot worse. Nice job finding the leak though!

agree.gif you would have been veryupset if that was the case.! Dawn patrol?
Thestigz06
same crap heppened to me the other day, and i remembered this post! Kent FTW aktion035.gif
shulew3
Nice find Kent...enjoy your trip to CO

Looking forward to Oct Dawn Patrol

Lew
euro911
Don't feel embarrassed about airing fuel leak problems. I agree with the others who've said that bringing the issue to light will hopefully prompt others to check their own fuel systems.

These are OLD cars, and old rubber parts on the fuel and braking systems NEED to be checked and replaced in almost all cases, especially the 'Barn Finds' that have been sitting for who knows how long idea.gif

I recently found a fuel leak in front of the right rear tire of my '75. The car had been sitting idle since March of 2008. We found that an improperly blocked-off return line exiting the firewall was the culprit. After installing a new section of rubber hose with a plug and tightening up the clamps, we discovered another leak from under the tank up front blink.gif (which by the way, had been recently removed to install a new fuel pump, new filter and new hoses) confused24.gif

We pulled the tank again, double-checked the fittings at the tank and trimmed 1/2" off all the [new] hose ends. This new leak was at the input port of the filter. Like your problem, the hose clamp didn't cinch down tight enough.

Before reinstalling the tank, we decided it would be much safer to block off the return line right at the fuel tank fitting and not have fuel sitting in the return line running through the tunnel any more.

Since we're running a low-pressure pump and carbs, we really didn't need the return line anyway. Even though the original plastic likes are in in pretty good condition, we'll be installing new S/S fuel lines the next time the drive train comes out (within the next few months).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.