Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT vacation suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimtab
LAST CHANCE FOR GOOD ADVICE/// WE'RE LEAVING TOMORROW MORNING Completely off topic, except that we will be driving the 914. My sweetie and I (after we marry off our son) on July 11 plan to get away for a few days to the San Luis Obispo/ Santa Barbara region. Our plan is one night in SLO for some Mo's BBQ and some wine tasting in the Edna valley area. Then we will motor down to Santa Barbara area and stay a few days there. I know that we have several members in that area I met at least one from Ojai at the ccr so here's what I'd like. Where should we eat, what is your favorite restaurant, winery, what should we see, to what would you say "don't miss this" . Where do you likt to go drinking and dancing in the areas? Any help will be appreciated, we've been there before but just figure the locals always know the best stuff. Thanks in advance gang.
Gint
If you don't have the $$$ for a house on a hill overlooking the Pacific, don't visit Z's place. wink.gif And whatever you do, don't let him take you to the place on the pier that serves bleach water. icon8.gif
fiid
I recommend staying at least one night at the Madonna Inn in SLO (book in advance, and get one of the stranger themed rooms).

I also recommend doing a tour of Hearst Castle.

We rode through Pismo Beach on the AIDS Ride - looked like it would be worth spending a day/night there and same in Santa Barbara (home of the Paradise Pit! (that's where they dish out Ice Cream on the aids ride)).
scruz914
I also recommend doing a tour of Hearst Castle.

See if you can get reservations for a night tour. There are people dressed in period clothing who are having a typical Hearst gathering. The tour passes though and around them in different rooms. Plus the night lighting of the castle, pool and grounds is pretty cool.

-Jeff
Jenny
Where's Mark B? He could chime in here about the castle.

Jen
carreraguy
Many nice B&B's in Santa Barbara. The Upham Hotel is very nice; my wife and I staying there after July 4th on the way back from LA.

As for restaruants in SB we always visit the Paradise Cafe for steak/seafood, and the Playa Azul for great Mexican food specializing in seafood dishes. We also like walking down State Street to Stern's Wharf, checking out all the shops, bookstores etc. on the way (huge Borders in old Bank of America) and eating lunch/dinner at the Wharf. Also recommend the Santa Barbara Winery tasting room on Anacapa St.; their 2000 Reserve Chardonnay is great! Quite an active bar/night life on State Steet at night since UCSB is not too far away in Goleta. Many movie houses on State Street too. Side trip to Solvang may be interesting if you're in to Scandanavian kitsch and pastries.
jimtab
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 30 2004, 07:05 AM)
If you don't have the $$$ for a house on a hill overlooking the Pacific, don't visit Z's place. wink.gif And whatever you do, don't let him take you to the place on the pier that serves bleach water. icon8.gif

I live in a house on a hill overlooking the pacific already it's just a little too far north to use on a visit to Santa Barbara...too much commute time...
jimtab
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 30 2004, 07:05 AM)

That's not bleach water that is just how they like their water in the southland. It helps keep them drinking beer and wine... aktion035.gif
markb
Sorry, no night tours this time of year. It stays light too late. Email or PM me & depending on when you'll be here, I can maybe put something together for you. I'd be more than happy to hoist a few beerchug.gif with you while you're in the San Luis area. drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.