Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cv joint remover tool bit thingy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
anyone have a picture or can tell me what exactly i need to get the cv joints off the tranny, i thought it was one of those star bits..but they dont seem to work...a picture would really help..i started removing the engine today..but i had to stop at the axles

thanks for your help

aaron
ArtechnikA
here ya go.

Performance Products has them by Stahlwille (a very high quality German brand) for $30 (as pictured). they call them "8mm Star Allen"

technically, they're a "Tri-Square" or "Triple-square."

they're a pegboard KD item at most FLAPS, although you have to supply your own 8mm socket (preferably 6-point) to hold it - that version is just the hardened bit, but it's a LOT cheaper.

any VW store will have them too - ask for the "CV Bolt Tool" and they'll know what you need.

if you're ordering the tool, get a new bunch of Schnorr washers and - if you're not seriously pinched for funds - a new set of bolts too. don't forget the gaskets ...

and make SURE the socket of the bolt is CLEAN before you try to stick the tool in; hit it with a blast of carb cleaner or brake cleaner or something through that little red plactic hose (wear eye protection...) and carefully tap the bit into the bolt head to make sure it's well-seated.

to be strong enough for the application the steel bit is heat-treated enough to make it very brittle and prone to chipping off its flutes. and it can easily round out the inside of the bolt, and you don't want to be removing very many of them with ViceGrips...
IronHillRestorations
Yea, and be sure you clean the grease out of the star socket, as well as tap the star socket wrench into the fastener. Push inward toward the transmission as you loosen the CV bolt, this will help keep from stripping it out.

The new ones from Porsche are a standard hex socket.

PK cool.gif
mightyohm
Don't pay more than ~$10 for a set of 4. Autozone has them.

The ones you see at the Porsche places are a big rip off.
i love porsche
thats what i was using...but it was stripping it...so i figured it was wrong....
mabye ill go buy a few different sized..ill check home depot tomorrow..thanks guys
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 30 2004, 11:46 AM)
ill go buy a few different sized..ill check home depot tomorrow..

this is not really a Home Depot tool; their mechanics' tool selection is sorely lacking and AFAIK there are no non-automotive applications for the triple-square fastener.

it is NOT a Torx of any size...

find yourself a NAPA store, or a Pep Boys, or an AutoZone, or some VW/dune buggu shop.

some of these are really stuck, and even the right tool with an impact driver (the kind you smack with a hammer...) won't loosen them. Plan B involves getting a new, small ViceGrip (with SHARP teeth) and clamping it on the offending bolt REALLY TIGHT. then carefully tap the ViceGrips to loosen. there's never really enough room for any of this, but it can be done ...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jun 30 2004, 09:32 AM)
...hit it with a blast of carb cleaner or brake cleaner or something through that little red plactic hose (wear eye protection...)...

AMEN ON THAT, BROTHA!!

I forgot that when we were putting Jeff's car back together again. The stuff went straight into the recess in the bolt head, and came straight back into my face. Some of it got around the glasses that i was wearing and got all around my eyes. A little of it got onto my eyelids, enough to cause the edges of them to have a stinging sensation. I wound up taking the garden hose spray directly to my face about 30 seconds later.

Reminder to self--purchase face shield!!

--DD
Joe Ricard
NAPA. has a long bit about 4" that fits in a 5/16" socket. I use a 1/4" drive ratchet.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 30 2004, 02:34 PM)
NAPA. has a long bit about 4" that fits in a 5/16" socket. I use a 1/4" drive ratchet.

5/16" ~= 8mm ...
watsonrx13
Go to NAPA and get a 12-pt, 8mm star tool. Number on package is 2304. My cost in Florida, $8.95
jim912928
I got mine at sears... craftsmen 1/2" drive socket...was about 8 bucks.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Jul 2 2004, 05:31 AM)
I got mine at sears... craftsmen 1/2" drive socket...was about 8 bucks.

the spec torque on the drive flange (CV) bolts is but 4,3 mKg (~30 lbs-ft). the problem is that there is never enough room under there and 1/2" drive stuff is big. if a 3/8" drive were available (like the pricey Stahlwille) it'd be good, but i think a lot of people (myself included) use or have used the straight bit in an 8mm (5/16") 6-point socket - usually 1/4" drive.

i use new bolts, new Schnorr washers, and i safety-wire the bolt heads. it's excessively anal-retentive - but i've never had one loosen... considering the damage wrought in a stoplight launch, i really don't want to know what'd happen if an inboard end came adrift at 140-ish (which is what were doing at the end of the Can-Am straight at Riverside in the /6 ...)
i love porsche
i got a set of 8...at autozone...they are 3/8ths and 1/4 drive sockets...so hopefully these will work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.