Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
Who was making replacement bushings for the shift rod and transmission housing on a side shift?

Like all the bushings from the firewall to the transmission.

Someone was machining them out of bronze if I remember correctly. Did those work better?

J West was selling a kit that had all this stuff and more - if I could find it. drooley.gif

Or what is the best set up available now?
Mike Bellis
If you mic the rod, you can get a nice spherical bearing from www.mcmaster.com or ebay. Just match the ID. I swapped my front rod to a 3/4 OD rod and a 3/4 spherical bulkhead bearing. Mine is Oil-Bronze with a fitting to refill the oil.
JawjaPorsche
Automotion makes a shifter bushing for the stick. Here is the URL
http://www.automotion.com/bushing-shifter-...or-porsche.html

They also sell a kit: http://www.automotion.com/shift-bushing-ki...or-porsche.html

Hope this helps.
scott_in_nh
There is a more complete kit available from Pelican (5 piece).
If after replacing the console bushing there is play betwen the bushing and the hole it goes in - use JB weld or expoxy to secure it.
Also, replace your transmission mounts with the 911 sport engine mounts if the trans moves at all (without moving the body)when pushed on.
My mounts were not torn, but I could still deflect them a bit by hand.
Of course these are all polymer parts, I do not know who offers the bronze.
Krieger
Patrick Motorsport has a bronze one for the trans that is very tight, much better than another one I bought (maybe weltmeister)
GPR also sells the Bronze bushing for sideshift ear...

Patrick sells a nice firewall bushing but takes some machining to the inner shift rod...

Racer Chris is working on a complete Shift Rod kit like the one JWest quit producing earlier this year...
Randal
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Aug 2 2011, 07:49 AM) *

GPR also sells the Bronze bushing for sideshift ear...

Patrick sells a nice firewall bushing but takes some machining to the inner shift rod...

Racer Chris is working on a complete Shift Rod kit like the one JWest quit producing earlier this year...

Yes Yes Yes. piratenanner.gif

Thanks for the heads up on Chris Foley's complete shifter kit. I talked to Chris and as usual his new design is well beyond anything currently available.

His prototype in his race car works like a dream.

So, 222 will be the first car on the West Coast with this new kit (*). And believe it or not you can install it yourself and it doesn't take 2 days.

Chris says that after installation the only thing you can feel is the synchros slipping together.

So in about two weeks I should have the kit and will get it installed before my next event.

BYE BYE SHIFTER PROBLEMS.

This is going to be so cool.

(*) everything from the firewall back is, I believe, included.
r_towle
I machined up a set way back out of tephlon bronze that included the firewall bushing and the cup bushings also. no oil needed.

Still works great IMHO.

The firewall bushing was not to hard, make the bushing a little larger than the rod, and taper and round over both inner edges.
I put a 1/2 to 5/8 inch flange on mine and bolted it to the firewall.

There is alot of pivoting going on at that bushing that you want to eliminate and allow the pivoting to occur in the u-joint. it just takes away that much more play in the system.

With a new bushing at the firewall and the setup Foley is selling, it should feel awesome.

Ask Chris to make up new firewall bushings too, while he is in that shifter mood.
He has the tools...and test cars...

Rich
Dr Evil
I, too, am working on a simple solution that will be simple install and not cost a fortune smile.gif Stay tuned. (I could use a test mule if anyone is interested)
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 2 2011, 02:08 PM) *

Thanks for the heads up on Chris Foley's complete shifter kit. I talked to Chris and as usual his new design is well beyond anything currently available.

So, 222 will be the first car on the West Coast with this new kit (*). And believe it or not you can install it yourself and it doesn't take 2 days.

Chris says that after installation the only thing you can feel is the synchros slipping together.

So in about two weeks I should have the kit and will get it installed before my next event.

The prototype is in my street car, but the race car will be getting one soon so I can test it with a JWest shifter. (not that I expect it to make any difference)
My street car has a stock shifter with Weltmeister lockout springs and a shortened lever.

I'm already working on yours Randal. Officially it will be prototype #2, but will be nearly identical to upcoming production units.
smile.gif
Tom
If you have a friend with a small lathe, get some Delrin and custom make them to your required size. I did the coupler and console for mine and what an improvement. The shift rod wears also, so one size does not fit all. For console bushing, I found a lot of slop in a new bushing between the shift rod and bushing, and more between the bushing and console. Put my homemade ones in and the console was still a little sloppy due to the hole being oval in the vertical axis, used a couple of nylon ties to tighten it up. Shift rod to bushing clearance was about 3 thousands. It is good! I posted what I did here several years ago, but can't find it now. Your search skills will most likely be better than mine.
Tom
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 3 2011, 06:11 PM) *

The prototype is in my street car, but the race car will be getting one soon so I can test it with a JWest shifter. (not that I expect it to make any difference)
My street car has a stock shifter with Weltmeister lockout springs and a shortened lever.

I'm already working on yours Randal. Officially it will be prototype #2, but will be nearly identical to upcoming production units.
smile.gif

Can't wait Chris!
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 3 2011, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 3 2011, 06:11 PM) *

smile.gif

Can't wait Chris!

Chris has lived up to his promised date for shipping the new unit to me.

Looking forward to getting it next week and then installed.

I'll post some pictures.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Aug 2 2011, 10:49 AM) *

One of the cars here right now has the Patrick firewall bushing. We like it.
I'd rather not need to turn the shift rod down however.
Unfortunately, no one makes a 20mm id spherical bearing - until now! smile.gif

I bought a glass-filled Nylon 3/4" (19mm) id bearing and figured out how to hold it in the lathe to remove another millimeter from the bore.
Once I make a proper support housing for it, I'll mount it on my car for performance testing.
The big unknown will be longevity. Will it last as long as (or longer than) a stock plastic bushing?

BTW, here's what I shipped to Randal this week:

Click to view attachment

The shiny flat piece is a drill template for the console.
ChrisFoley
Here's an installation pic of our Firewall Spherical Bearing:
Click to view attachment
Currently available for $49.95, delivered.
You can see more at our website, along with all our recent products at the Tangerine Racing Products Whats New Page.
Elliot Cannon
While on vacation back east a few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of a short visit at Chris' shop in Connecticut. I got to see some neat projects he is working. Chris makes quality parts for type IV. I'll be ordering his shifter kit soon.
Cheers, Elliot
Dr Evil
Wow, Chris has lost weight....and Eliot has found it wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.