Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Basic alternator question for /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
Since I have my 1979 3.0 engine out of the car, and am powder coating the fan and housing, I decided to get a rebuilt alternator. The question is: is there a 'better' one than the existing alternator?

The unit currently in place is an internally regulated Valeo A14N11 75 amp unit. I am wondering if there is another unit that will bolt into its place with, perhaps 90 amps.

If so, are there any negative side effects of changing this?

The engine is going into my 914-6 conversion with no relay board.

Thanks for the input.

Rob
SLITS
When I get to the office today, I will look up what fits. Because of the fan housing you cannot just change the alt willy nilly. It has to do with diameter and depth of mounting in the housing.

We sell cores to a guy that builds alts for the ricers to run their sound / lighting systems. He pumps some of them up to 200 amps as I remember. I could get a price from him if it is possible to raise the amp output of the stock alternator.

Lemeknow if you are interested.
GeorgeRud
Do you need a larger output alternator? Unless you're putting in some monster sound system, the 75 amp alternator should suffice for the simple electronic circuits of the 914-6.

You have to be careful with some rebuilt units these days, as some have parts from Asia that fit, but aren't correct. We had an old, German electrical rebuilder here in Chicago (European Auto Electric - long retired now), and he would show us some of the sins that were taken by other "rebuilders". If you do have a local rebuilder that can freshen up your alternator, you may be best off with that option.

When I went in to buy a new voltage regulator for my 914-6, he did agree to sell me a new one, but also tested and adjusted my old original voltage regulator as he said it would still work. That was over ten years ago, and the original one is still in the car and working fine. The new one I bought has been a spare sitting in my front trunk for all those years. Sometimes the old, mechanical systems are worth saving and maintaining.
Cap'n Krusty
What will fit depends pretty much on the fan ring (which can be altered to accept some later units). Personally, I think the stock unit you have should be fine. I have a good rebuilder that does only wholesale, and I've never had a problem with his product. Can't say the same for other units I've bought from major suppliers. Dave Aase sells NEW 95 amp alternators made in Australia that are supposed to be relatively bulletproof. (www.aasesales.com)

The Cap'n
Drums66
......my best friend(myself)....has a freshly rebuilt 1 in a parts cache
in Cali, pm if interested? idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif(wrapped in plastic)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 2 2011, 10:20 AM) *

......my best friend(myself)....has a freshly rebuilt 1 in a parts cache
in Cali, pm if interested? idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif(wrapped in plastic)

One would think the freight from Colombia would be a killer. Maybe you could conceal it in a shipment of Cocaine?

The Cap'n
Drums66
........Say no to drugs ......Cap'n, their no good for you ! idea.gif poke.gif
some of us don't have to deal! confused24.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 2 2011, 10:59 AM) *

The Cap'n is bagging you for typing Cali (a city in Columbia) for California. To spoof him, refer to it as Kali ... then he'll get Superman on yer ass.

Oh well .....
Cap'n Krusty

Perhaps I was too subtle for you? "Cali" is a city in Colombia, known as a hotspot of the drug trade. While I'm at it, "Kali" is a Hindu goddess.

The Cap'n
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 2 2011, 12:39 PM) *

Perhaps I was too subtle for you? "Cali" is a city in Colombia, known as a hotspot of the drug trade. While I'm at it, "Kali" is a Hindu goddess.

The Cap'n

I would certainly do a Hindu Goddess over Superman .... any day.

And Cap'n, you're way to obtuse.
Drums66
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 2 2011, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 2 2011, 12:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

I would certainly do a Hindu Goddess over Superman .... any day.

And Cap'n, you're way to obtuse.

.......Cap'n.....Obtuse a state ,in the mind laugh.gif poke.gif
stirthepot.gif bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.