Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: X-Country Trip -- IN PROGRESS!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfulcher
Hey All -- a few months back I posted that I was planning to at long last bring my '72 914 out to San Francisco, as it's been in storage in New England since 2007 (driving just a week or so a year when I visit).

Well, the trip began last Thursday, and we're currently in Chicago after a wonderful weekend of partying in Vermont.

As I've not much time, I invite you to check out the progress, posted frequently (with photos and video) on my blog:

www.gregandpetra.com

The car is running flawlessly, with max head temps of 350º, oil temps not exceeding 180º. Next stop, the Dakotas (not sure our exact route just yet) before heading through Montana, over Bear Tooth Pass to Yellowstone and then on back roads all the way to Portland and eventually down the coast to San Francisco where the 914 will join my '73 VW Thing!

Cheers,
-greg
jimkelly
every time you gas up - check lug bolts and engine trans mounts and shift linkage.

have a great drive.

jim
Cairo94507
That is so cool; have a blast.
shoguneagle
I wish more 914 Caretakers would do drives like the adventure you are doing. Have fun and enjoy the trip. Make it a trip to share with others.

I do include myself in the owners who do not drive their cars on more long trips.

Steve Hurt
gms
QUOTE(gfulcher @ Aug 2 2011, 02:26 AM) *

... we're currently in Chicago

Should have let us know, we would have organized a get together
okieflyr
This kind of trip has been on my "to do" list in the next year or two.
Are you getting wind burnt yet with the add'l heat?
Keep the updates coming, as I'll use the beatiful pics to sell the idea to the wife.
popcorn[1].gif
gfulcher
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 2 2011, 10:01 PM) *

This kind of trip has been on my "to do" list in the next year or two.
Are you getting wind burnt yet with the add'l heat?
Keep the updates coming, as I'll use the beatiful pics to sell the idea to the wife.
:popcorn:

Hey All -- I can never keep straight where I've posted what (914club, or 914world - I wish there were only one)... Anyhow, The trip was a f'in blast! We did Chatham, MA to San Francisco in 9 days, stopped plenty and met lots of great folks along the way.

Our route from Chicago (where I last left you) was mostly on 20 through Wyoming and then 80 across the desert to the NorCal coast at Jenner, where the Russian River meets the Pacific.

Not sure who all followed along on the blog (first post of the trip is on this page: http://gregandpetra.com/page/5/ ), but feel free to check it out!

I am, as time allows, compressing the 100 hours of HD video captured from the mounted GoPro camera into something you can watch over a cup of coffee -- I'm sure it'll be posted here when it's done in a month or two.

The only problem with the car occurred in Rockford, IL - heat index was 115+ and my fuel pressure regulator malfunctioned so the carbs just weren't getting enough fuel. After a few hours of broiling hot diagnosis I narrowed it down, removed it from the sequence, and the car ran great for the rest of the trip.

So, check out the travels on the blog! It's great to have the car out in California at long last! Any Bay Area 914ers reading?

-greg
Mike Bellis
Cool trip! You should come to the 914 family reunion on Saturday in Sacramento. Some of us are meeting in Antioch and crising up the river hwy 160 to Sac. Should be fun!
pt_700
what an awesome trip! too chicken to try that in my 914. heck, i'm just happy to have it in driving condition after a several month stint on jackstands...

missed our bay area breakfast in fremont a few weeks ago, keep an eye here for more of those.

sacramento get together coming up as well, hopefully not the last.
KELTY360
Yeah, I followed it. Looked like a great trip. Did you have to bail on the Beartooth Pass portion?
76-914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 2 2011, 05:06 AM) *

every time you gas up - check lug bolts and engine trans mounts and shift linkage.

have a great drive.

jim

Yer kiddin, right Jim? You don't crawl under your car when you fill up, do
you?
gfulcher
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 24 2011, 08:18 PM) *

Yeah, I followed it. Looked like a great trip. Did you have to bail on the Beartooth Pass portion?

Hey there, yeah -- we had to bail on Bear Tooth on account of losing a day in Illinois, extraordinarily hot temps and lots of construction over the pass (gravel roads, one lane at times and possibility for big delays as a result).

Now that the car is out here, there will be plenty more road trips! We are thinking of heading up the coast this Fall to the Olympic Peninsula.

Glad you followed along! The timelapse video is coming along slowly - about 100 hours to cobble together in my copious free time**

**or not

-greg

gfulcher
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Aug 24 2011, 08:12 PM) *

what an awesome trip! too chicken to try that in my 914. heck, i'm just happy to have it in driving condition after a several month stint on jackstands...

missed our bay area breakfast in fremont a few weeks ago, keep an eye here for more of those.

When is/was the Sacramento gathering? Just back from the Southeast and I fear I missed it altogether. Would love to get together locally, or even host one day at my house in San Francisco (plenty of parking)...

-g
Tom
What an excellent adventure!! I also have been thinking of doing a cross country trip sometime in the future. I think it would be a blast!
It would be even better to get several teeners together and have a support vehicle following and someone updating along the way with a computer, posting video's and still pictures, and keeping in touch with places to stop and meet other teeners. Maybe some day.
Tom
pt_700
QUOTE(gfulcher @ Sep 6 2011, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Aug 24 2011, 08:12 PM) *

When is/was the Sacramento gathering? Just back from the Southeast and I fear I missed it altogether. Would love to get together locally, or even host one day at my house in San Francisco (plenty of parking)...

-g

doh! missed um... not to worry, i'm sure there will be another bay area get together in the next few months. in the meantime, i'm sure you'll find at least a few of us @ rensport oct. 14-16 at laguna seca. couple of threads here about that.

beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Sep 7 2011, 09:48 AM) *

doh! missed um... not to worry, i'm sure there will be another bay area get together in the next few months. in the meantime, i'm sure you'll find at least a few of us @ rensport oct. 14-16 at laguna seca. couple of threads here about that.

beerchug.gif

agree.gif You have no reason NOT to come to Rennsport!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.