Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has XM Radio?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I got one for father's day and took my first road trip with it this past weekend..I was very impressed by it. We hit some nasty traffic in DC and Baltimore area and the local traffic channels helped a lot.

I listened to the same station from Richmond to Philly smile.gif boldblue.gif

I have it in our daily driver but will add a mount in the teener very soon.

Cheers
Kerry
Qarl
Everyone should buy it. Tell your friends. Buy it as a gift!!!!

That way my stock will go up!

Yes, most radio is free... but not hundres of chanel with crystal clear reception, many without commercials.
LawRand01
I got XM a month or so ago and it is great. My wife liked it so much she made me get one for her car as well. It sure makes road trips much more enjoyable. I would highly recommend it.

Randall
Toast
I have XM and I love it!! I listen to it constantly. Have had it for about a year now. I have the car adapter and boom box. Its great for road trips because it never cuts out. Plus dont have the comercials or have to deal with the same songs over, and over, and over. stfu.gif
My favorite channels are Boneyard, Squizz, X Comedy, Top Trax, VH1, Fox News, XM Music Lab........ awww hell. I just love it. wub.gif aktion035.gif
STL914
I have XM installed in our SUV and ny 914 as well as a boom box for use in the house or by the pool. Absolutely love it.

Only drawback is when driving in the 914 with the roof off, it's a bit difficult to hear. Then again, can't hear
my stereo system with roof off either.
gskinner
We got a 3-month free subscription when we bought our SUV. It was a no-brainer to renew once the trial period was up. It's nice not to have to listen to the same songs, etc. over and over again - local radio sucks.
David_S
The place where I work is an XM dealer (we sell the receivers and installation). I haven't personally gotten one yet, but am planning on it soon.
Gary
XM rocks! It's great for long trips. The fidelity is great too. We got a Sony kit with both home and car kits, so the unit lives in both places. We're where FM selection is pretty meager, so it's really cool.
Lou W
Our Chevy Tahoe came with it new, 16 months old now. Can't imagine being without it. Im going to have it installed in my new Silverado. I never thought I would be paying to listen to the radio. smile.gif
BraunSC
I have had it in my Jeep Cherokee since Feb 2002, so I'm a long time listener. I have the old Sony plug and play unit, which I can take in the house. I really like it. I thought it would be like musak (no DJs, etc) but it's not. It sounds like regular radio with a better playlist and no commercials on the stations I listen to (Fred, Lucy, Deep Tracks, X Country, the Rhyme (really!)) and no stupid DJ banter, just a bit of "backselling" the songs.

My only complaint is that sometimes after listening a long time, it seems to sounds funny after a few hours. I can't explain it, someone told me once that it was the compression they use - especially on the talk stations. Again, I have old school equipment (1st gen) so that may be part of it.

Won't install it in the P-car, I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway - and I'm always listening for parts falling off. laugh.gif
roundboy914
I have had a Delphi unit for around a year. Overall, i like it, and like others, i never imagined that i would pay for radio that is normally free. Comedy XL by itself more than changed my mind. Two complaints.
1. They do not 'normalize the volume levels, so some times you have to crank the volume, then they go to a commercial, and it is booming.
2. They got rid of the commercials on the music channels, but still exist on the comedy/talk/news stations - i thought that was why i was paying $10/month. I imagine/hope, that as there are more and more subscribers, that the commercials will continue to disapear.
worktheweb
XM Fing rocks! aktion035.gif

I have a Roady (ask me how to make a cool Roady-bandolier, I'll tell ya) and an in-dash in the Eurovan. We drove from VA to MN last summer and the only dropouts I had on the whole trip were Western Wisconsin and the PA mountains. The antenna in the Eurovan is just casually tossed up on the dash too, no fancy mounting required. The actual XM unit is mounted under the cup holder in front of the shifter in case there's another 914/Eurovan owner paying attention.

Local DC radio bites. The best station is the damn news channel and all they play is bad news and the wrong weather. The next best station is classical followed by the classic rock station which only has 74 albums. That's quantity, not the year...
majkos
XM!? aktion035.gif Unf*k-believeabl!
Toast! You're the man,you know what you like!
I listen to Boneyard,and to Boneyard,and on sunday?-BONEYARD!I've a Roadie,which is great for my Milwakee-Boombox ,it's has Fosgate speakers which three level of bass,which goes-BOOM!
'nough for this deaf child! BTW I'm a kid in this
40+ year body! burnout.gif
BraunSC
QUOTE(roundboy914 @ Jul 1 2004, 07:02 AM)
2. They got rid of the commercials on the music channels, but still exist on the comedy/talk/news stations -

As far as the news stations, I think it's usually a live feed from the TV. When the TV goes to commercial, they need something to play. Sometimes it's ads, sometimes is promos for their other channels. What's annoying is how they pimp up the service, but you can only hear that if you're a subscriber (or listening to someone else's subscription)

Local DC radio bites. The best station is the damn news channel and all they play is bad news and the wrong weather. The next best station is classical followed by the classic rock station which only has 74 albums. That's quantity, not the year...

So true. So True. I miss WCXR for classic rock!
siverson
So where do you mount the XM antenna on a 914? (new this this...)

-Steve
STL914
So where do you mount the XM antenna on a 914?

My antenna is mounted at the rear edge of the trunk lid, nead the engine compartment lid.
Toast
QUOTE(majkos @ Jul 1 2004, 06:29 AM)
Toast! You're the man,you know what you like!
I listen to Boneyard,and to Boneyard,and on sunday?-BONEYARD!

Just FYI, I am a woman. blink.gif
I have a Delphi that I take between car and boom box. It is on Boneyard 98% of the time!
Ballad Salad, Stoneheadge, I love the 420 jingles smoke.gif laugh.gif Virgin Bone...... aktion035.gif
majkos
ohmy.gif Toast a gal! ohmy.gif I'm so stupid! wacko.gif
Sorry,Love,but you got to me when ya mention Ballad salad ! but lost me when you like the 4:20 jingles headbang.gif I listen to Boneyard,75% a day,how about octive hr?
Kerrys914
Cool guys and gal driving-girl.gif

Has anyone found a station with old school STP and Nirvanna type music on it. The boneyard is good just not then best in traffic for me. Gets me a little strung out ar15.gif

I am picking up the Delphi FM mod this weekend to do a nice and clean install. Lets hope the sound remains clear and crisp

Cheers mueba.gif
Kerry
majkos
Alright! You have to listen to a variety of station to find what you like.I'm thinking you might start out on "Fred"? or Deep Track.The sounds only comes out as nice as what your speakers puts out.I've two 8-inch sub woofers to get my bass! biggrin.gif Ha-ha-ha! laugh.gif Can you say "Boom!" aktion035.gif
BraunSC
QUOTE(Va914 @ Jul 2 2004, 06:45 AM)

Has anyone found a station with old school STP and Nirvanna type music on it. The boneyard is good just not then best in traffic for me. Gets me a little strung out ar15.gif

You would probably like "Ethel" they play a lot of the old school overplayed stuff like that.

I'm not knocking what you like. I have just heard that so so so many times. wacko.gif
Toast
QUOTE(majkos @ Jul 1 2004, 08:18 PM)
ohmy.gif Toast a gal! ohmy.gif I'm so stupid! wacko.gif
I listen to Boneyard,75% a day,how about octive hr?

Hey, dont worry about it. Just thought I'd clue you in. Its not like 'Toast' is a real gender secific nickname. lol2.gif

Octives...... "I want those vice grips back after the show." (dog howling) lol2.gif lol2.gif

Va914,
Check out 90's on the Decade catagory. There is a station in the Rock catagory that plays that crap, but I dont remember which one it is. Just browz through the Rock catagory. My local rock station still plays that stuff day in and day out. You might want to check your local rock or alternative station if you have one. Im sure they are still playing those. Ive been to a couple of different states and cities that have at least one of those stations. rolleyes.gif
Kerrys914
Thanks Toast, I'll check that station for the crap I like to listen to. finger.gif

Cheers
Kerry beer3.gif
Toast
rocking nana.gif beerchug.gif
Malmz
Guess I'm the only one with Sirius. A Kenwood with Sirius was in the Roadrunner I bought and sold, and much of the sound system ended up in my boat... All those stations in BFE in the boat w/o a CD skipping is a very cool thing.

May add it to something else soon...

sm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.