Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello 914 World!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcboal
Hello 914 world.

I just purchased a '73 914 1.7. (i screwed up on buying it screwy.gif , but that is a long story. basically, i bought it sight unseen and the seller totally lied to me about everything)

so now i have a 914 1.7 (was told it was a 2.0) that has been sitting for a while not covered (was told it was stored inside covered) that has horrible paint (was told it was original and in good shape. it is obvious from 100' away that it is a repaint) and i am not sure if it worth my time to rebuild or if i should just part it.

so i have come to the source of greater knowledge pray.gif to seek your opinions.
ripper911
Fix it and drive the hell out of it! driving.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
porsche_dreamer
Welcome to the world. We need pics for an idea of what you got.

welcome.png

rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif welcome.png
wingnut86
Well, 1 little issue beer.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

We can't help without this.

1- Is she RUSTY in the usual places? (read the 914world blogosphere and posts concerning RUST points and its habitats)

2- Is it tagged and titled?

3- Are you asking because you have the considerable money and time - for restoration, or are you hoping for a miracle?

See the 1st emoticon before responding...

Welcome to our little off-sphere world for 914's.

welcome.png

Good Luck.

aktion035.gif

Ductech
Your best plan of action at this point would be to go and get a camera and start snapping photos of the engine compartment, the longitudinal's, front and rear trunks and any other possible places that rust could be hidding. The more pictures of the condition of the car the better of an educated guess we can make on what the worth of the car is and if your gonna wanna fix it.

Good luck friend and welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jcboal
i will post pics tonight.

i do have some time and some $. i'm not expecting a miracle by any means.

i have a bill of sale & will get the title easy enough.

it looks like it does have some rust. i will take pics and post them
zymurgist
welcome.png
Jaymann
Cancel the check quick,but it sounds like the horse,has already left the barn.Jason from PA
Ductech
No title in hand????? Thats kinda scary sounding to me.... WTF.gif
jcboal
i took some quick shots while i was home for lunch. more to come, when i can get under it.
jcboal
more pics
jcboal
and more
Ductech
Nice bus wheels you got there... I would go get my money back if that was more than a thousand dollars especially if it was not a title in hand transfer

SirAndy
Oh boy, i hope you didn't pay too much for that ... sad.gif

Looks like Ravenna Green for the original color.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

idea.gif
Ferg
Wow, sorry dude, I would punch the seller in the nose...

Judging by the pics, I would start over if you are looking for a project that does not require much welding...
jcboal
Well i didn't pay that much for it, so i knew it was a gamble.

When i went to pick it up the guy who "described" it to me wouldn't even come out to talk to me. he sent his receptionist out to give me the paper work.
r_towle
you ran home at lunch to take pictures and dream.
You got it bad.

welcome.png

Enjoy the project...they are great cars when done.

Rich
7TPorsh
Lots of clean parts...maybe part it out, scrap the tub and buy a better car?

Oh and welcome!
jcboal
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 2 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Lots of clean parts...maybe part it out, scrap the tub and buy a better car?

Oh and welcome!

Thank you. I do appreciate the input i am getting.
914itis
confused24.gif maybe it is not that bad, how about a picture of the longs and hell hole. maybe it is worth saving.. I don't think those pics are saying much unless I am missing something. welcome.png welcome.png
Andyrew
Either get the car on jacks or up on a lift and start poking holes. And get pics.

If the rockers, Floorpan, battery tray, and rest of the structural area's are rust free then it COULD be a decent starter. Here in california that would be a parts car unless those area's are PERFECT. However in the rainy states, Its another story... I think California people need to stop posting smile.gif

Elliot Cannon
You need to take more of the car apart. Removing the rocker panels will tell a lot. If you see rust, poke it with an ice pick or something sharp. See if it's rusted through. You will probably find rust in the jack points. Check the longitudinal structure just under the battery tray for rust that might have rusted through. Take out the seats, carpets, back pad and look for more rust. Strip off the sound pad from the fire wall, throw it away and don't replace it. Moisture collects there and makes more what? RUST!! Much of the rusted areas can be cut out with an angle grinder and new sheet metal welded in place. Note the spacing of the passenger side door edge where the door closes. Jack the car up on that side and see if the spacing of the door edge has changed. If it is narrower at the top than the bottom, the car has flexed due to a rusted longitudinal. You won't really know how bad (or good) things are till you get more of the car apart. There are lots of replacement parts available and it just depends on how much work you are willing and able to do. My first 914 was on jack stands for a year and a half. If you don't want to do that much work, part the car out and save for a better one. What ever you decide, this is a great location for help and advice. Take more pics after you have everything taken apart.
Cheers, Elliot
Jacob
welcome.png
Just think of the great feeling of satisfaction you will have when you learn how to weld!
It is a great skill to have! thumb3d.gif
flipb
I'm a novice, but I didn't see anything that would make me flee in terror. If the longs & hellhole are relatively solid, that car will clean up nicely.

Might want to swap out the sound system, though... and reclaim the console.
wingnut86
The center console speakers are totally Radical!

Keep it first.gif
jcboal
so i came home from work and pittled with it a little more....great news....the engine is siezed and there is pretty bad rot on the underside (rockers, longs, etc).

looks like i am parting this baby out.

i will post it in the classifieds if you need anything.
GeorgeRud
Those pics do look quite ugly! It would take an awful lot of time and money to bring it back, and then it would still be a 1.7 914.

At least, if you part it out, you should have the side-shifting transmission and some other parts that should be worth something. Even trim pieces, glass, and other minor pieces are often desired.

Good Luck!
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 2 2011, 07:05 PM) *
At least, if you part it out, you should have the side-shifting transmission and some other parts that should be worth something. Even trim pieces, glass, and other minor pieces are often desired.

agree.gif
Keep every nut and bolt and good metal, then get a good tub from California shipped to your door for under $1k and build your dream car ...

cheer.gif

PS: If you cut the longs, be careful to not destroy the heater mufflers inside.
jcboal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 2 2011, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 2 2011, 07:05 PM) *

agree.gif
Keep every nut and bolt and good metal, then get a good tub from California shipped to your door for under $1k and build your dream car ...

cheer.gif

PS: If you cut the longs, be careful to not destroy the heater mufflers inside.

thank you for the advise. i suppose i will see what happens
914runnow
In this 'neck of the woods'..thatzah...
6 to 7 bills car.....
you'll have 40 plus hours into the dismantle..
pieces in boxes for days......cleaning of parts.....
is it worth your time??
or take a hit, and dump it for 5 bills...
and no, I am not offering.....as the wifey is done with those days,
of me killing 914z.....
guess you get my point...IF you had a 2.0 4 banger...you could make a buck or two.......I would go after the guy for the diff of a 1.7 and 2.0...
roughly, another couple of bills....worth a try...
914itis
agree.gif
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 2 2011, 06:01 PM) *

Either get the car on jacks or up on a lift and start poking holes. And get pics.

If the rockers, Floorpan, battery tray, and rest of the structural area's are rust free then it COULD be a decent starter. Here in california that would be a parts car unless those area's are PERFECT. However in the rainy states, Its another story... I think California people need to stop posting smile.gif

914itis
QUOTE(jcboal @ Aug 2 2011, 09:58 PM) *

so i came home from work and pittled with it a little more....great news....the engine is siezed and there is pretty bad rot on the underside (rockers, longs, etc).

oooocchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
carr914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 2 2011, 04:54 PM) *

Wow, sorry dude, I would punch the seller in the nose...

QUOTE(jcboal @ Aug 2 2011, 04:58 PM) *

When i went to pick it up the guy who "described" it to me wouldn't even come out to talk to me. he sent his receptionist out to give me the paper work.

I'd go back, tell the Receptionist to give the Boss something for you, then Punch the Receptionist in the Nose blink.gif
swl
Did you get that description in writing of any sort - email, posted on the net... Clearly this is fraud.

There is so very little usable on that car that I would swallow the loss, spray paint the word fraud and the vendors name then park it at his place of business. He might be willing to take it back under those conditions wink.gif.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jcboal @ Aug 2 2011, 08:58 PM) *

This looks like Christine!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

You may have been sheeplove.gif , I would use it as a parts car . For a better one

that you can restore. Inless you are a accomplished welder, then save it!!!!!

Strip of the parts you will need for a restoretion of another , sell what you don't

need, here , then to the scrap dealer. You won't believe the sense of

accomplishment you would get from a project like that. I just sold mine and nearlly

cryed as the new owner left with it on the trailer. DO IT !!!!!! slap.gif Dave
jcboal
One advantage i do have is that scrap metal is at a really high price right now!!
Lennies914
I have a good roller with a little rust in the floor under the drivers seat. I haven't peeled all the tar up but the tub is in good shape. I would like to get rid of it. Send me a pm if you think a trip to nor cal is worth it to you.

Oh and
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.